Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Harry

Watching the R110Bs

I remember watching NYCT test running the R110Bs on the Sea Beach line during the early & mid 90s. I was in high school at the time and every time I took the train home I would always be watching and listening for the R110Bs to fly by. This was about the same time that the Sea Beach line was welding their rails. I used to see the welding train just north of the Fort Hamilton Parkway station. That was another project I used to love to watch. I remember the welded track reaching all the way to the begining of the 8th Av station.

I never got to actually board an R110B or see the interior in person. It was a great looking train for that time. I wanted to ride it bad. I remember watching an R110B making a run through 20th Av station and me getting all excited. I would tell my friends, "that's the new trains they're testing". At that time I thought those were going to be the trains NYCT was going to bring in. My friends would look at me and say "so what, big deal".

During lunch I was reminiscing on my high school days and remembered the R110Bs. It has been about 13-14 years since the last time I saw an R110B. I'll never forget it.

Recent Status: The train spent the early part of its life on the "A" running with all three 3-car sets. Later, due to breakdowns, one of the 3-car sets had been cannibalized for parts and the train then ran on the "C" with two 3-car sets (approximately 70 feet short of a typical 8-car "C" train). Throughout 1999, it had been in and out of service for both repairs and additional component testing. The train has not had the computerized voices and next stop indicator signs programmed for the "C" route, so the conductor does it the old fashioned way. In 2000, it was said that this train may occasionally see weekday service on the "C" Line until it dies. But, its last inspection was in 2000 and the train remains idle in 207th Street yard, no longer on the revenue active list. Since then, one of the three sets has been given up for employee training purposes: cars 3004 and 3006 are at the Coney Island Yard firefighting training facility, and car 3005 went to the NYCT's P.S. 248 training facility. The remaining cars are in storage at 207th St. Yard.
R110B Page: R110B on NYCSUBWAY.ORG icon_offsite.png

I have always wanted to hear the R-110B's. too bad nobody has a recording or video of them...

Those always looked like some pretty nice trains. Sadly, I would have been too young to remember anything about them if I even knew the subway existed. I've always wanted to see them back in service, even if there was really only one or so train. They just sit in the yards now, due to damages, I'm sure the MTA doesn't consider them worth the effort now, them being at the vary low end of technology nowadays (heck, 1992ish, that can't compete). Maybe the transit museum will do something with them?

Im surprise you guys never got a chance to ride it. It was on the A line for a while and then it went to the C line just for a minute. I dont have a recording but from what I remember I think it have a siemens propuilson.

Does anyone else find it odd that we love the sounds of the train's motors? Not that I don't, as there is nothing like a good R142A pulling out of a station. And siemens propulsion really makes me want to tell the MTA to get off their behinds and get that train out of the yard and into service :D.

I remember seein them a long time ago, but I never rode it. However, I rode a R110A only once and it was so long ago, that I hardly remember anything.

I don't think I was ever on one of them. I would have been only five years old in 1992, and even if I were on one of them as a little kid, I wouldn't know it was an R110B.

Does anyone else find it odd that we love the sounds of the train's motors? Not that I don't, as there is nothing like a good R142A pulling out of a station. And siemens propulsion really makes me want to tell the MTA to get off their behinds and get that train out of the yard and into service :D.

No. In order my favorites subway train propulsion sounds are:

Siemens on the 160B, Adtranz on the 142As and 143's, Onyx (Alstom now IIRC) on the 142s, 160A.

Railroad train propulsion:

Arrow III of NJT (most favorite of all propulsion sounds), and the M7(A) of LIRR/MNRR.

I wish I had been able to ride the 110B, they look like a cool set even today. I wish I could get the front rollsign with the orange A and the destination under the bullet. Too bad they did not impliment those signs on the rest of the fleet, but it think to have all the destinations for all the lines.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.