It's decided, We're moving to NYC in March!

Smoot178

Yes! It's so very exciting to even think about it. It is scheduled that on March 7th we will be leaving for NYC!

It's going to be a pretty big change moving to a city as great as New York from this small town. I know the change will be hard at first but after a while I think we will start enjoying the full wonders that New York City will bring. Once we arrive we will be hunting for an apartment non-stop. We already have a few real estate contacts in Kew Gardens and Astoria so we hope to be in one by the end of the week.

After a while I hope to go on a railfanning trip but I will probably seek the advice of this forum as to where the best place to go would be.

I absolutely can't wait to get there the wait is too much ;)

Yeah I can't wait to go. I still have my MetroCard with $4 or so on it from my trip in October and I plan to use it then upgrade it to an unlimited card ;)

Is it really true that if you swipe a card twice it will let 2 people through the turnstile?

There's so much to do I'm not sure what I wanna do first.

Yeah I can't wait to go. I still have my MetroCard with $4 or so on it from my trip in October and I plan to use it then upgrade it to an unlimited card ;)

Is it really true that if you swipe a card twice it will let 2 people through the turnstile?

There's so much to do I'm not sure what I wanna do first.

With the Pay-Per-Ride Metro-Card you swipe up too 4 ppl only....unlimiteds you can't do that b/c you have to 18 minutes to use it again!

With the Pay-Per-Ride Metro-Card you swipe up too 4 ppl only....unlimiteds you can't do that b/c you have to 18 minutes to use it again!

That stinks, that's 2 unlimited MetroCards between me and my mom?

I guess it really is true that NYC is the most expensive city in the world :mad:

That stinks, that's 2 unlimited MetroCards between me and my mom?

I guess it really is true that NYC is the most expensive city in the world :mad:

Or one Pay-Per-Ride, but you'd need to swipe twice, (and not twice in a row: You swipe, then go through, then hand the card back to your mom, who swipes herself in, etc up to four people total) which means $4, not $2. But then you get two transfers, not just one.

And yeah, that is true. At least Manhattan is.

Or one Pay-Per-Ride, but you'd need to swipe twice, (and not twice in a row: You swipe, then go through, then hand the card back to your mom, who swipes herself in, etc up to four people total) which means $4, not $2. But then you get two transfers, not just one.

And yeah, that is true. At least Manhattan is.

What do you mean 2 transfers?

What do you mean 2 transfers?

When you pay your $2 on the subway, you get a free transfer to any local bus (but not to another subway station). When you pay $2 on a local bus, you get a free transfer to another local bus or the subway. This applies per person, so if you pay for two people with one card, you get two transfers on that card. Not sure how this works on express buses since I've never taken one.

I'm obviously talking about MetroCard here.

Good luck with your big move. Expect a big welcome when you enter the city!

If you want to plan the city solely for a day, I suggest you go to these places:

Times Square - (A)(C)(E)(N)(Q)(R)(W)(S)(1)(2)(3)(7)

Penn Station for MSG, & Empire State - (A)(C)(E) on 8th, (1)(2)(3) on 7th

Rockefeller Center - (B)(D)(F)(V)

WTC - (A)(C)(E)(2)(3)

South Ferry for the station and Staten Island Ferry - (1)

Other good places would be Coney Island, Central Park, and Columbus Circle.

Good luck with your big move. Expect a big welcome when you enter the city!

If you want to plan the city solely for a day, I suggest you go to these places:

Times Square - (A)(C)(E)(N)(Q)(R)(W)(S)(1)(2)(3)(7)

Penn Station for MSG, & Empire State - (A)(C)(E) on 8th, (1)(2)(3) on 7th

Rockefeller Center - (B)(D)(F)(V)

WTC - (A)(C)(E)(2)(3)

South Ferry for the station and Staten Island Ferry - (1)

Other good places would be Coney Island, Central Park, and Columbus Circle.

Thanks for the tips! 16 days seems so long but I know it will go by quick and before I know it I'll be in NYC.

Has anyone else made their first move to NYC before?

Guest Charles

Yup, like you, I hail from a small town and I made the move the New York City...Born and raised in Valhalla, New York, I spent all my childhood upstate and never ventured anywhere below Pelham Bay Park. I lived in Buffalo for quite a few years [GO BILLS!-I had to shout that out. lol] I moved to New York City when I was 10, and it was quite life-changing. It'll take some time to get used to the hustle bustle of Manhattan, but you'll settle quite nicely into the residential sections of the outer boroughs.

Good luck and have a safe trip up here to New York City! Hope you enjoy the city very much!

I hope it is sometimes during weekend or afternoon after 4:00 so I can track more smoothly... How about doing a time lapse...

What do you mean more smoothly? It will just be a google map interface with dots appearing along the route indicating my position and speed every 5 seconds.

Edit: And I was going to try and do some sort of live feed using the 3g network from a webcam on my dash pointed forwards buttttttt 3g coverage between here and NYC is spotty at best so a time lapse would probably be a better idea.

Archived