It's decided, We're moving to NYC in March!

Smoot178

I recommend the neighborhoods that is preferrably excellent in NYC:

Queens: Sunnyside (7), WhiteStone (Busses Only), Flushing (7), Forest Hills (I live here) (E)(F)(V)(G)(R), Kew Gardens (E)(F), Bayside(Busses Only), Douglaston (Busses Only), Jamaica Estates (F).

Kings (Brooklyn): Bay Ridge (R) and Brooklyn Heights (Too Many Lines).

You could also choose somewhere in Western - Northern Bronx, bus I don't recommend anywhere in Bronx, Manhattan and Staten Island...

Riverdale, Bx is pretty nice...

Manhattan... I don't know... but there are good condos now. Not all of Manhattan is bad. Chelsea is a fine neighbourhood.

Oh yeah, Riverside rocks!

Manhattan, I won't want people to live there, it is like you living in an outdoor mall...

:mad:

Well that is because you are from Queens, you are used to YOUR settings. And what is so bad about living in an outdoor mall?

There are so many stores to choose from, there are so many bus lines to choose from, so many subway lines to choose from... there is a lot in Manhattan that is beneficial. And for adults there are a lot of bars to choose from.. the night life is just as rich as the "day life". In the Lower East Side, food can be cheaper. There are many pleasant neighbourhoods in Manhattan that many people tend to overlook. You have the Upper West Side.. the Upper East Side, Chelsea, heck there are a lot of condos going up at Battery Park. RUSH FOR THEM! (Nice view of the river and skyscrapers too, depending on your angle of view) Condos and other luxury high end residences have attendants that stand guard and to make sure everyone is safe and sound in and out of the building, so it's pretty nice.

Meanwhile on the other hand, while you can live in comfort and peace in the outer boroughs, consider commuting time... food prices... and simple: rent or mortgage, utilities, water... and if you are going to drive, you need money for petrol. So it all adds up.

Oh yeah, Riverside rocks!

Manhattan, I won't want people to live there, it is like you living in an outdoor mall...

Outdoor mall? There have been ground floor shops here and there in manhattan since the first settlers, has nothing to do with malls.

- A

I can and have slept quite soundly in lower manhattan. Once you go inside it's usually quiet from street noise. Also, all of manhattan isn't like times sq. You really need to get out and experience more before stating opinions like a fact.

As far as shops everywhere, would you prefer blank building facades? Would be pretty lame, and uh, where would people go to buy things?

I all most moved to forrest hills. Nice area, however i really wouldn't want to hang around there all day, because the same thing you complain about in manhattan makes it a place people can hang out in without having to live there. I used to hang out at cafes and stores all day without spending any money. In most other places outside manhattan aside from like a bookstore, you can't go there unless its to do something specific like order something then you leave.

Now, you say it's too noisy? Maybe you're not going to the right areas? Along the rivers it's very peaceful. Try going to the cove near the WFC. I go there all the time, and it's great. Just sit and do nothing.

- A

Just I feel it is too noisy 24/7... If people have sleeping problems, then the City (Manhattan) isn't the place to live....

Weel, too many stores around... I don't feel I would be comforable living in an environment with so many cars and if anyone has cars, don't live in Manhattan! Troublish parking, maybe have to pay some $$$ for parking!

Dude... you really don't understand Manhattan at all.

First of all, not ALL parts are noisy. You can find peace in many areas around Manhattan believe it or not. And by peace, I mean serenity from the stereotypical city noise that you are referring too. You are referring to places like Midtown, the sixties, Chelsea, TriBeCa, Chinatown... my girl lives in the Upper West Side and the area she is around is quieter than Flushing proper and the area surrounding Forest Hills subway station. My street is pretty quiet all times and that is in the Lower East Side/Chinatown section. What have you got to say about noise in all of Manhattan?

And even if he lives in a condo in those "noisy" areas, there is a regulation regarding the noise level at nighttimes. So if bars make a racket, the law can get them. In addition, there is soundproofing in the condos around Manhattan. This feature mitigates excessive noise so that the occupants can sleep without being distracted.

"Too many stores" is a convenience, in all honesty, I would live in a place where 10 stores line my block than to drive to some place where variety is limited.

Why would you need to drive in Manhattan? There is the subway, that gets you near about 80% of all Manhattan addresses. And you could still walk too or take the bus. Don't forget Manhattan has a developing bike lane system, so you could invest in a two-wheeler as well.

Dude... you really don't understand Manhattan at all.

First of all, not ALL parts are noisy. You can find peace in many areas around Manhattan believe it or not. And by peace, I mean serenity from the stereotypical city noise that you are referring too. You are referring to places like Midtown, the sixties, Chelsea, TriBeCa, Chinatown... my girl lives in the Upper West Side and the area she is around is quieter than Flushing proper and the area surrounding Forest Hills subway station. My street is pretty quiet all times and that is in the Lower East Side/Chinatown section. What have you got to say about noise in all of Manhattan?

And even if he lives in a condo in those "noisy" areas, there is a regulation regarding the noise level at nighttimes. So if bars make a racket, the law can get them. In addition, there is soundproofing in the condos around Manhattan. This feature mitigates excessive noise so that the occupants can sleep without being distracted.

"Too many stores" is a convenience, in all honesty, I would live in a place where 10 stores line my block than to drive to some place where variety is limited.

Why would you need to drive in Manhattan? There is the subway, that gets you near about 80% of all Manhattan addresses. And you could still walk too or take the bus. Don't forget Manhattan has a developing bike lane system, so you could invest in a two-wheeler as well.

Well said. We don't have a problem with noise anyways.

Although even Upper East and Upper West may not be in our price range :D

I feel there are good places in Manhattan (Upper West Side and Chelsea Only)... I just feel under this economy weather, I wouldn't recommend Manhattan, Queens (listed), Brooklyn (listed), and Riverside in Bronx would be the best spots to find homes...

In all honesty, you really do not know Manhattan well enough in order to make "recommendations". Since I have lived in Manhattan for quite a time (more than 10 years) and that I have been to nearly every neighbourhood, above and under, I will tell you my answer:

-Most of the neighbourhoods are fine in their own way, depending on your tastes and styles

-AVOID the areas near the projects and the areas in the Harlem area and Washington Heights. You may also want to avoid some of the sections in the Lower East Side. Why? You find a lot of the undesirables there.

-It's great to live in most parts of the Upper West Side, parts of the Upper East Side, Chelsea, the East Midtown area (First to Madison, Thirties and Fourties), Battery Park City (there are a lot of developments there), Greenwich Village

-Living around Chinatown is cool, but living inside it is not the best thing. Why? Cramped spaces for a high price. There are studios which are rented as one bedroom that are rented for 700 dollars a month. Areas around Chinatown have more space (don't go for the tenements, try Chatham Green or the two towers near Park Row) and give you the advantage to many stores which food can be purchased for less

My best advice for you is to do this:

Read the AM New York on-line, REGULARLY, they will post something called "City Living", this section talks about the featured neighbourhood, all of its sites, eateries... it is not designed for tourists... it is designed for people who want to move out and in. This feature shows how to get there, the district boundaries, the precinct, schools in the area, number of crimes, median income of the area and things like that. They also have apartments/houses posted up on sale, provided with phone number.

Keep a collection of these. These will help you out A LOT. Trust me on this.

I personally know Manhattan but Chinatown may not be the best place since I hear crime around that area frequently... I feel Chelsea and by Central Park and Upper West Side is the best place. And by the way Park Slope in Brooklyn is a good area as well.

Probably because you read the Chinese paper, or your family do, which highlights all of the incidents that occur Chinatown. And I read the paper too, they are only thefts, maybe some break-ins. I don't hear a story about a beating everyday or read about some kind of rape in Chinatown everyday. Every place in Manhattan has its own crime story. In fact every neighbourhood has its own crime story. Compared to many neighbourhoods and compared to the Lower East Side, Chinatown is safer than you think. And believe me, it is true. I have been living in the area for quite a while, so don't over-exaggerate the crime situation in Chinatown. If some area like Harlem writes a newspaper that does such a thing, the police blotter will probably be several pages long.

If a neighborhood was really that bad, won't families move out even if they didn't have money. won't they want the better for their kids. If Chinatown was that bad, I won't see thousands of tourists, I won't see regular bystanders. I'll see shady kids hanging around watching people with their small, sly eye. So there.

They have the rival Chinese gangs but Chinatown is nowhere near as bad as East New York or Bed Stuy.

I lol'd. I've spent lots of time in Chinatown past midnight. Let's just say I haven't done any midnight strolls down New Lots Ave.

That said, it's not all about the neighborhood. It's about looking like you know where you're going, and not fumbling over a map.

Hey I was wondering if anyone can help me with this. I'll be using this instamapper tracking system which integrates into their own person google maps sort of thing. Now usually if I wanted to imbed into a webpage I would use:

<iframe style="border:1px solid;" width="600" height="335" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" src="http://www.instamapper.com/ext?key=1734325338499254881&width=400&height=300&zoom=13&type=roadmap&units=imperial&coords=d">

</iframe>

But as you can see that's in HTML and the board doesn't allow HTML.

Here's the original link:

They have the rival Chinese gangs but Chinatown is nowhere near as bad as East New York or Bed Stuy. Chinatown is a tourist friendly area. The side streets are a tad seedy but it's unlikely that you'll be a victim of crime walking in Chinatown.

Now now... even if Chinatown has major gangs, the gangs are nowhere as dangerous as the tongs of the early 20th Century. At the turn of the century, the tongs (gang like fraternities) controlled the area. The main ones were Hip Sing Tong and On Leong Tong. They controlled gambling parlours, the opium dens and the sex industry (prostitution) back then. The Hip Sings and On Leongs were rivals. At the turn of the century, the Hip Sings, led by Mock Duck, would constantly fight the On Leongs. Doyers Street, with its angle, was a prominent fighting scene. Mock Duck was arrested and was held in the Sing Sing Prison. After his arrest, gang fights were less and less common. The Hip Sings and the On Leongs still exist, but they serve as, in face value, benevolent associations rather than vicious gangs. There are underground societies in Chinatown, but they won't cause a problem to residents or merchants. There are no protective fees or anything like that.

Well, Forest Hills is alos safe... Chinatown has more population but I also know there are conflicting gangs in Chinatown...

Little Italy is good! Are you talking about Little Italy, MTR?

Well, security is not really an issue in the residential section of Forest Hills. And I been there myself. But I am sure, in vicinity of the more urbanised area of Forest Hills, there are some petty crimes. I mean, thefts and pickpockets exist everywhere, no? Same with Chinatown and just about anywhere. Chinatown is bustling, however, I NEVER advocating living in Chinatown proper. In fact, I strongly discourage living inside it, due to high rents for small spaces. And believe me, living in small tenements is NOT fun. You can pay $800 for a studio size apartment and end up finding out that your next door neighbour is a rat.

There are NO active gangs in Chinatown that will cause trepidation to the occupants. Yes, there are these "snake heads" that smuggle people into America illegally, however I don't think they will cause trouble in the street. Their entire trade will be known. Believe me, I have been living here for a while, the locals don't even know any gangs that operate here. The papers don't even mention gangs (yes I could read the Chinese dailies). In the Chinese dailies, the only crime factions that are mentioned in those dailies are the Crips and the Bloods. You can point out that the papers are being racist and are trying to save the Chinese people's face. However, I can assure you, THERE ARE NO ACTIVE GANGS IN CHINATOWN THAT ARE CAUSING TROUBLE OR TREPIDATION IN THE CHINATOWN COMMUNITY.

Archived