Different routes to Coney Island-Stillwell Av

fx20736

One thing that I always love to do is to head to Stilwell Ave/ Coney Island via one line (Brighton/ Culver/ Sea Beach/ West End) and then come back via another. Of course a stop at Nathan's is de rigeur when I get there.

My question is; how do any of you like to divide the trip up? What stations do you particularly like along the way? Do any of you like to transfer at 36th St or 62nd/ New Utrecht or 9th St/ 4th Av or Atlantic Ave or De Kalb? I really enjoy spelunking through the nooks and crannies of various stations, especially if I can get a nice overhead or unusual view of passing trains or the neighborhood.

How do you make an adventure out of a trip to C.I.?

Also, call me crazy but at looking at the current subway map it looks like the (D) and the (:) have switched lines. I'm pretty sure the (D) used to run on the Brighton Line and the (B) ran along 4th Ave/ New Utrecht and into Stilwell through the yards? What gives there?

(D)(F)(N)(Q)

Yes, the (:) and the (D) swapped lines in Brooklyn, this has been in effect since February 2004.

For me personally, the Brighton Line is a great ride all along. It still has station houses from the railroading days. Culver is a great line, especially for the cemetery views and the Gowanus duration. Sea Beach, with its trench, does not offer great views like its Brighton and Culver brothers. However the area around Fort Ham and the portal is interesting, especially since it runs next to the LIRR Bay Ridge ROW.The 9th Avenue Station and vicinity is unique on the West End.

Well for me I'll take the (N) to Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue b/c the stops aren't like long unlike the (D) and (F), eventhough the (D) and (F) do got some scenery along those lines. The reason the (:) and (D) switched lines was b/c the Manhattan Bridge Rehabilitation from 2001-2004. Of course @ that b4 the Manhattan Bridge Rehabilitation (B) via West End Local/4th Avenue Express, (D) via Brighton Local/6th Avenue Express, (Q6) via Brighton/6th Avenue Express/63rd Street Local. Then the Manhattan Bridge needed long time work for the (W) replaced the (B) via West End/4th Avenue, (Q) replaced the (D) via Brighton and <Q> replaced the (Q6) via Brighton Express, the (M) terminated @ 9th Avenue. (B) and (D) terimated @ 34th Street-Herald Square, (S)huttle ran from Grand Street to West 4th Stret-Washington Square. After the Manhattan Bridge work was done, some trains got cut back and/or switched new lines (Q) reminded Brighton Local, while the (D) became West End Local/4th Avenue, <Q> got replaced by the (B) and (W) cut to back to Whitehall Street via Broadway Local, the (N) was Broadway Local and Broadway Express and the (M) got cut back to Chambers Street. The reason I would make trips to Coney Island was for the trains, the station and Astroland!

One thing that I always love to do is to head to Stilwell Ave/ Coney Island via one line (Brighton/ Culver/ Sea Beach/ West End) and then come back via another. Of course a stop at Nathan's is de rigeur when I get there.

My question is; how do any of you like to divide the trip up? What stations do you particularly like along the way? Do any of you like to transfer at 36th St or 62nd/ New Utrecht or 9th St/ 4th Av or Atlantic Ave or De Kalb? I really enjoy spelunking through the nooks and crannies of various stations, especially if I can get a nice overhead or unusual view of passing trains or the neighborhood.

How do you make an adventure out of a trip to C.I.?

Also, call me crazy but at looking at the current subway map it looks like the (D) and the (B) have switched lines. I'm pretty sure the (D) used to run on the Brighton Line and the (B) ran along 4th Ave/ New Utrecht and into Stilwell through the yards? What gives there?

(D)(F)(N)(Q)

The Brighton (D) & West End (B) routes swapped lines in February 2004. Once the Manhattan Bridge re-opened on Sunday February 22, 2004, The (D) was extended from Herald Square-34 St to Coney Island Via 6 Av/4Av Express & The West End Local, (replacing the (W)) all times. On the same token, the (B) was extended from Herald Square-34 St to Brighton Beach via 6 Av/brighton Express, weekdays (replacing the <Q>). Now, the reason for the (B)(D) swap was that "Market research was undertaken", along both the Brighton & West End Lines throughout the years without Brooklyn (B)(D) service, and with Brooklyn (Q)(W), and the results of the research shown, that many people along the Brighton line preferred Full Time-24/7, Broadway (Q) service over full time 6 Av-Brighton (D) service. However, customers along the West End Line, wanted full time access to Chinatown-Grand St, plus the (MTA) wanted to scrap the late Night West End Suttle between Sunset Park-36 St & Coney Island. Adding to that, while the (B) was running between 34 St and Harlem, and The Bronx only, it operated, during weekdays, not weekends. So the solution to the entire Manhattan Bridge Re-opening, swapped and created new routes.

-The (B) was weekdays only so it made sense to extend it to Brighton Beach via Brighton Express.

-The (D) operated full time, so why not make it the Full time West End Train from Coney Island to Norwood.

-The (Q) remained as the full-time Brighton Local/Broadway Express; Coney Island to Midtown-57 St/7 Av.

Along those lines,

-The (N) was finally back as the Broadway Express and via Bridge between Coney Island & Astoria.

-Midday (M) service to 9 Av was scrapped.

Hope this helps! :):tup:

The routes I always used to ride the most to/from Coney Island, were/are Brighton & West End. Sea Beach & Culver come 2nd:cool:

Zach

I would do (N) to New Utrecht for the (D). Why? You get a little more express run on 4th Ave, then you get to see the best part of Sea Beach. Then, on the (D)'s 62nd St platform, look out towards the west. It looks great. Then you get a ride through 86th St and you can kinda see all the hustlin' and bustlin' down there while you enjoy your quiet and comfortable ride. It's good contrast.

For the ride back, Brighton line definitely.

I would do (N) to New Utrecht for the (D). Why? You get a little more express run on 4th Ave, then you get to see the best part of Sea Beach. Then, on the (D)'s 62nd St platform, look out towards the west. It looks great. Then you get a ride through 86th St and you can kinda see all the hustlin' and bustlin' down there while you enjoy your quiet and comfortable ride. It's good contrast.

For the ride back, Brighton line definitely.

Thanks. I am partial to the Brighton Line and have always wanted to get off at Church or Beverly or Cortelyou and walk around some of the nice streets you can see from the train. Maybe, now in the era of the Fun Pass Metrocard I will do this next time in the city.

Do you like to get out Smith/ 9th (G)(F)for the View also? I have sometimes done that so I can grab the (A) @ Hoyt/ Schemerhorn as there are so few good ways to transfer to the A from the BMT Brooklyn lines.

Thanks. I am partial to the Brighton Line and have always wanted to get off at Church or Beverly or Cortelyou and walk around some of the nice streets you can see from the train. Maybe, now in the era of the Fun Pass Metrocard I will do this next time in the city.

Do you like to get out Smith/ 9th (G)(F)for the View also? I have sometimes done that so I can grab the (A) @ Hoyt/ Schemerhorn as there are so few good ways to transfer to the A from the BMT Brooklyn lines.

Well an indirect way to get from the A to the Brighton is to:

-Take the A to Hoyt

-Transfer to the C, take that to Franklin

-Take the shuttle to Prospect Park

-And get your B and Q there... the shuttle is amazing

• 5 months later...

For me the (D) if it were on a Weekend since its the 4th Avenue Express, and much faster then taking the (Q) Local. Sometimes the (N) too

If its a weekday Id use the (:) if the (D) didnt show up first, (D) To Brigton for the (Q). And to return maybe the (F) or (D) or (Q) to (:) and head to Bronx

My all-time favorite would be the Brighton Express before the rehabilitation work started at Newkirk Av. The Culver is also interesting with its pass over the Belt Pkwy and the views of Av X and CI Yards. The West End is a nice ride especially if you're lucky enough to get an express run on the middle track. I never liked the Sea Beach much despite being the most convenient for me, although I used to like the views of CI Yard btwn 86 St and Stillwell.

The BMT is unique in that it has a number of lines which share the same terminal but get their through different routes as opposed to the IRT and IND which split up into different terminals. Although it's now ironic that two of the four lines that serve Coney Island are now partly IND routes including the (;) which ends short of there at Brighton Beach.

Speaking of which, I believe the fastest route to Coney Island from Herald Square is the (N) followed by the (D) then the (Q) and (F). I might be wrong so I apologize just in case.

That's absolutely correct in my point of view! The N is always my beach ride from Midtown to CI!

Archived