SEPTA/ NJT/ NYCTA/ Metro North/ Shoreline

fx20736

Has anyone here tried to go from Philly/ DE/ South Jersey to Eastern CT/ MA using nothing but Commuter Rail/ Mass Transit? How long would it realistically take to do this? Are there even more Regional rail connections that could get you from Boston (or Providence, R.I.) to Baltimore (without using Amtrak or a bus). I think short walks would acceptable for purposes of this experiment.

(MTA)(NJT):septa:

I went from Philadelphia to Jersey City using all mass transit....The R-7 Septa Local took 45 minutes...the (NJT) NY Local took about and hour and PATH took about 15 min..I can't even imagine doing the NEC by all Commuter Service..I Love trains but I don't think I would wanna endure a ride that long

I routinely do levittown :septa: to trenton, then trenton (NJT) to nwk, then PATH to wtc. Honestly the only pain the the rear with your idea is the connection from (NJT) to MNRR. I'd suggest (1)(2)(3) to (S). The (A)(C)(E) has that long irritating (when you're trying to actually get somewhere) walkway from 8th ave to 7th ave.

- A

Plus you would have to play "guess the platform" at the (1)(2)(3) 34 Street Station. Not only that, but to get from the (1) or (2) to the (S) you would have to be in the front of the train. The express and local platforms at 34 Street are not lined up.

It's not really that complicated since all trains stop at 34th and tsq, and the 34th street (1)(2)(3) is easily found by following signs in nyp. Plus there's a clear indicator for which direction you want to go as well once past the turnstiles. :)

- A

Here's something interesting for the NY-Philadelphia end if you want to do a "scenic" journey:

From GCT and Metro North:

(7) to 5th Avenue

(;)(D)(F)(V) to 34th Street-Herald Square

PATH - to Journal Square, cross platform for Newark train

(NJT) :nec: from Newark to Trenton

(NJT) River Line from Trenton to Camden

PATCO from Broadway/Walter Rand to Center City-Philadelphia (8th Street)

:septa: MFL - 8th Street to 15th Street

Here's something interesting for the NY-Philadelphia end if you want to do a "scenic" journey:

From GCT and Metro North:

(7) to 5th Avenue

(:D(D)(F)(V) to 34th Street-Herald Square

PATH - to Journal Square, cross platform for Newark train

(NJT) :nec: from Newark to Trenton

(NJT) River Line from Trenton to Camden

PATCO from Broadway/Walter Rand to Center City-Philadelphia (8th Street)

:septa: MFL - 8th Street to 15th Street

After a mets game i take the LIRR-(NJT) or (7)-(E)-(NJT) then to :septa: levittown. It is scenic! :cool:

- A

Archived