Fixing Capacity Problems on Roosevelt Island

dmk2145

I believe that RI needs a bridge to Manhattan Island.

Technically it does. There was a one point a car lift on the QBB. There really isn't room for a bridge, plus how would you keep it clear for ships? I think a ferry would be a good choice, supplemented by shuttle bus as a back up. :)

- A

Technically it does. There was a one point a car lift on the QBB. There really isn't room for a bridge, plus how would you keep it clear for ships? I think a ferry would be a good choice, supplemented by shuttle bus as a back up. :)

- A

Well true, given the constraints that you mentioned it would be technically impossible. But also, we did all mention about the tide thing right?

Well true, given the constraints that you mentioned it would be technically impossible. But also, we did all mention about the tide thing right?

It's not the most ideal solution due to the tides, but it would work if they used the right combo of berth & boat. For a hundred years they had railcar float docks, i'm sure people wouldn't be any harder...

- A

Leave it as is, I think the (F) trains are enough to serve Roosevelt Island. If anything, why not extend the (Q) from 57th Street, via the 63rd Street Connector and make local stops to Forest Hills, but then again, you can't have five different routes running at one line.

Leave it as is, I think the (F) trains are enough to serve Roosevelt Island. If anything, why not extend the (Q) from 57th Street, via the 63rd Street Connector and make local stops to Forest Hills, but then again, you can't have five different routes running at one line.

If they extend the (Q) anywhere it should be Astoria...if the (W) gets cut that would be a great replacement for it.

What about sending the R through the BMT 63rd Street Line, and run it along the F. Switch to the local tracks at 36th Street. Send the Q through the 60th Street Tunnel replacing W service?

Oh god, i'm starting to sound like a crazy subchatter MUST STOP MUST STOP!

Roosevelt Island has a ~70% occupancy rate, and new projects on the line that will likely bring that number higher as word of mouth spreads the idea of lving there. It will need something better, because if the 63rd st tunnel section of the (F) line is interrupted, they have no alternative while the tram isn't running in the future. Yea yea there's the one bus line, but that won't be enough for stand-in.

- A

What about sending the R through the BMT 63rd Street Line, and run it along the F. Switch to the local tracks at 36th Street. Send the Q through the 60th Street Tunnel replacing W service?

Oh god, i'm starting to sound like a crazy subchatter MUST STOP MUST STOP!

The (R) and many Queens Blvd. riders will no longer have access to the (4) and (5), and one less transfer to the (6).

It was already mentioned in this thread that very few peopel use that transfer. Infact, it is a very inconvenient transfer. People won't like having to make that trip.

It takes a good 2-3 minutes just to get out of 63rd-Lex, then there's the walk to 59th st which is another 5 minutes... not very fun at all.

I doubt the 6 months of no tram will warrant more subway service, and I doubt Roosevelt Islands pop/ il lever be great enough to warrant more service.

Roosevelt Island has a ~70% occupancy rate, and new projects on the line that will likely bring that number higher as word of mouth spreads the idea of lving there. It will need something better, because if the 63rd st tunnel section of the (F) line is interrupted, they have no alternative while the tram isn't running in the future. Yea yea there's the one bus line, but that won't be enough for stand-in.

- A

Exactly, if there is a GO along this stretch during this time period, the Islanders are pretty much screwed.

There's the OOS transfer between Lexington-63rd and 59th street right?

Yeah... go ahead and tell them to walk 4 blocks from one station to another. Oh, I forgot to mention, the Lex station on the F is pretty darn deep, so yeah, have fun going out into the street from the tunnel, down the street and into another hole.

Archived