My Ideas For The M,G,Z,W Cuts

Sea Beach

My points:

1. Let's hope these will not happen... hopefully... even though it does seem they will take place.

2. Marcy is an inadequate terminal for many reasons.. I am sure most M riders would love to go to Manhattan, so terminating at Marcy would mean that the riders would have to board the J in order to ride to Essex, Bowery, Canal, Chambers, Fulton or Broad. So, not cool. Terminating at Chambers is more efficient.

3. QBL is pretty tied up, so I am not sure if another service cut fit. More trains could be added on the R though, given that the N is going to go over the bridge now.

1. Yeah,Let's hope it will not happen.

2. Ok,so Chambers would be much better. But how doese the (M) shuttle terminate at Marcy now?

3.Well,you have the (G) going there now and the (W) or (Q) would replace it so it would be the same thing. Adding more trains to the (R) is a good idea instead of extending a route.

1. Yeah,Let's hope it will not happen.

2. Ok,so Chambers would be much better. But how doese the (M) shuttle terminate at Marcy now?

3.Well,you have the (G) going there now and the (W) or (Q) would replace it so it would be the same thing. Adding more trains to the (R) is a good idea instead of extending a route.

2. I thought the (M) shuttle terminated at Myrtle-Broadway, not Marcy.

3. The (G) never goes to the QBL these days. You can't add another line there, since only four lines run there basically and it's at track capacity. Adding more trains could work though.

3. The (G) never goes to the QBL these days. You can't add another line there, since only four lines run there basically and it's at track capacity. Adding more trains could work though.

ohh,my bad. I meant Myrtle.

A mock funeral is another term for the setup of a possible death. It has not been officially been chopped as of yet, it depends if the MTA gets their funds needed, if not, then it'll be cut. It's been a month and the (Z) still stands tall.

The only reason the funeral was set up was because of the fact that the MTA plans on shutting down the (Z) line, along with west end/4th ave access with the (M).

While things are running normally, the bell tolls for thee.....

Um, you do know that the (MTA) did say that even if they get funds, they will still make the cuts and implement the fare hike right?

Well put.. on weekdays there is the V, which has increased ridership and on weekends there is the R, more trains could be thrown in there.

How about weekend V service?

I have an IDEA

Make the (W) the Brighton Express

The (:P the West End Local, terminating at Coney Island

The (D) the West End Express, terminating at Bay Parkway, and only stopping at 9th Avenue, 62nd Street, and Bay Parkway

This plan doesn't assist Brighton Line Riders. They asked for 24/7 Broadway Service, along with Part Time 6 Av Service. Running the (Q)/(W) together along Brighton, would not work. On the same token, the (B) & (D) together on the West End wouldn't work for a number of reasons. Again, why put 2 6 Av Lines on one Brooklyn route, when people today enjoy choices on what route they need.

Guest Charles

I don't get what all the commotion about running the (W) over Queens Blvd is. It's not a good idea. It's the last thing Queens Blvd needs. If the (W) should stay, and I hope it will, it should stay on the Astoria Line. Running the (W) to Queens Blvd, even part-time, would cause quite a lot of havoc. First you'd have to decide which of the (G)(R)(V)(W) to run on the Queens Blvd local tracks...remember that the (E) goes local late nights as well! Then you'd have to re-arrange all the maps and fix all the signs. Costly, time-consuming, and not exactly functional. Queens Blvd does not need two Broadway Local trains. Whatever is done, the (W) should not end up on Queens Blvd. In fact, nothing should be done to Queens Blvd line--first (MTA) should fix the problems already plaguing that line.

That link was a mock funeral for the (Z)....it haven't been announced that any line have been cut yet.....so again why are we talking about this over and over again!

Finally some common sense. It's not too late but guys contact your political officals especially your state assembly members.

IMO this is only a guess. I think at the last minute some funding will be found in both Albany and Washington to save some subway, bus and rail lines but sadly not all. If i had to guess(dont shoot me if i am wrong)

which subway cuts will occur this is what i expect.

Part of this guesses is based on whther the community in which the cuts are proposed or not has strong City Council and other local political officals.

Subway cuts to occur IMO.

The (Z)is gone.

The Lower Manhattan Bway Local ®stations will be closed overnights other than g/o's on the Manhattan Bridge. Thus the (N) and (Q)will run over the bridge at all times.

The (G)terimnates at Court Sq at all times.

(F)runs local along Queens Blvd late nights only to help out the (E) when the ®is not runnning.

Subway services that maybe saved.

The (W)becomes a rush hour only line.

The (M)South Brooklyn(4th Ave line)rush hour extension to/from Bay Pwy is also saved as compromise for reducing the (W).

These are just a guess by me but realistic of what will happen starting this summer.

Well put.. on weekdays there is the V, which has increased ridership and on weekends there is the R, more trains could be thrown in there.

How about weekend V service?

Thats a great idea!! Then we wouldnt need any (W) or (Q) extensions to Forest Hills.

(W) could be West End Local weekdays

(D) could be West End Express weekdays and local weekends

Problem solved.

That seems like a good idea. But wouldnt help QBL in anyway.

My idea of the (M), (G), (Z) and (W) is...

The (M) shortening should happen if it can connect to the (R) train... The Broad Street station should be capable of connecting to the Whitehall Street Station...

The (W) could add service to the (R) during Weekends and Late Nights running to Forest Hills but also running over Manhattan Bridge...*

The (G) must go to Forest Hills on Weekends and Late Nights or just make the (W) run over Queens Blvd. Line...*

The (Z) should be eliminated...

*In order to ease crowding and maintain a safe trip.

That would be really complcated to turn the (M) in the ocean to Whitehall :P

all the other ideas are great.

Finally some common sense. It's not too late but guys contact your political officals especially your state assembly members.

IMO this is only a guess. I think at the last minute some funding will be found in both Albany and Washington to save some subway, bus and rail lines but sadly not all. If i had to guess(dont shoot me if i am wrong)

which subway cuts will occur this is what i expect.

Part of this guesses is based on whther the community in which the cuts are proposed or not has strong City Council and other local political officals.

Subway cuts to occur IMO.

The (Z)is gone.

The Lower Manhattan Bway Local ®stations will be closed overnights other than g/o's on the Manhattan Bridge. Thus the (N) and (Q)will run over the bridge at all times.

The (G)terimnates at Court Sq at all times.

(F)runs local along Queens Blvd late nights only to help out the (E) when the ®is not runnning.

Subway services that maybe saved.

The (W)becomes a rush hour only line.

The (M)South Brooklyn(4th Ave line)rush hour extension to/from Bay Pwy is also saved as compromise for reducing the (W).

These are just a guess by me but realistic of what will happen starting this summer.

Wow no reactions to my comments on what i think will happen to the proposed cuts?

Well we all know the (Z) will be most likely gone forever soon and the (G),(M) is most likely getting cut to Court Sq,Broad St and the (W) may be gone forever. If this all happens heres what they should do:

(J)- (Z) used to run Skip-Stop here. Replace (M) Rush Hours to Bay Pkwy,Bklyn.

(M)- Used to run To Bay Pkwy,Bklyn. Make it run all times from Middle Village To Marcy.

(G)- Leave the way it is. Used To run to Forest Hills. Make (W) replace it from Lex/59 to Forest Hills. (Q) will be extended to Astoria to replace (W) Rush Hours.

(W)- (If Happens) Let (N) replace it Local from 57/7 Av To Whitehall then via (R) to Atlantic. Or option 2: Instead Of (W) to Forest Hills,have (Q) go there and leave (W) where it is.

First of all, I'd like to say that part of the federal bailout reserves $1.3 billion for the (MTA). However, although it's $100 million more than this year's budget shortfall, it is a STIMULUS bill. It will NOT go towards the operating budget. The money will go to capital projects, i.e. Fulton Transit Center, SAS, (7) extension, etc.

Now, about your cuts -

Leave the (J) where it is. The (M) was not used much in Brooklyn anyway, and now it won't hold the (R) up at DeKalb/Whitehall. This is not one of the bigger cuts.

Since you corrected yourself about having the (M) terminate at Myrtle, then fine I guess. I think it should run to Broad or Chambers during rush hours.

Cut the (G) to Court Sq. In 2007, the (G) ran to Queens Blvd. 8 weekends out of 52. The (G) doesn't even go to Queens Blvd. much anyway, so it's not a very big cut either. The (W) is better off being cut in the (MTA)'s plan (though I hate to say it).

(W) could be West End Local weekdays

(D) could be West End Express weekdays and local weekends

Problem solved.

This is a service addition. The (MTA) is looking to cut service right now. Either way, there's no demand for a West End Express right now. There's no need to extend the (W) to Brooklyn as an express (as a local it's debatable - it could be extended via the local during rush hours only).

Archived