Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
jacsnyy

I was bus fanning today, and I saw something that made me quite sad

RTS #5105 has been transferred from Flatbush to Ulmer Park. This morning, I saw it as a B6, signed up as an Ulmer Park bus. This was between 7:30 and 8AM at Nostrand Avenue. I had a pit in my stomach... I love that bus at Flatbush!

Guest Charles
How is this consiered sad?

NovaBus RTS #5105 had a special orange display in the front. It's the only NovaBus in the entire (MTA) to have this! It's kinda like the 7253 of Orion V's...if you know what I mean! :P

http://www.ttmg.org/photos/tlogan/NYCB_Nova_5105.jpg

http://www.ttmg.org/photos/dbermudez/NYCB_Nova_5105.jpg (side)

http://www.ttmg.org/photos/pmaneiro/NYCB_Nova_5105.jpg

Photos from ttmg!

I consider myself a busfanner.. but I can't get attached to a specific bus....

anyway, did UP have any buses w/ orange displays before this particular bus was moved?

anyway, did UP have any buses w/ orange displays before this particular bus was moved?

Lol. I know. I did like that bus though, and I don't use Ulmer Park routes nearly as frequently as I do Flatbush routes. It was a real shocker to see, and I was surprised because just last week, I saw it on the B44 and yesterday it was already tagged as an UP bus.

Also, I do not believe there are any other orange display buses at Ulmer Park.

Guest Charles

I believe this was the only RTS, whether NovaBus or TMC, to have the orange displays.

Does anyone know why it has these displays, and whether it had green signs before?

Going along the line of UP buses, number 8888 is at Fresh Pond. I rode it last night on the Q55. Now back to 5105, I used to catch that bus on the B46 going to school. Now that its at UP i can't catch it because i live on the other end of the borough

Okay, for you RTS followers the 5xxx at UPK is now 5074-5112, saw 5111-5112 at my station.

Sorry to bust your bubble, but 5111 & 5112 are NOT IN UP AS OF YET..

I personally spotted 5111 working the B49 last night on Flatbush/Foster Avenues and still has FLATBUSH DECALS.

Also ULMER PARK DOES NOT HAVE ALL OF 5101-5112

Right now @ UP: 5075-5099, 5100-5105, 5109-5110.

FLATBUSH: 5106-5108, 5111-5124.

* Also spotted said buses working on various FLATBUSH ROUTES during the week, and ALL BUSES HAVE FLATBUSH DECALS.

Sorry to bust your bubble, but 5111 & 5112 are NOT IN UP AS OF YET..

I personally spotted 5111 working the B49 last night on Flatbush/Foster Avenues and still has FLATBUSH DECALS.

Also ULMER PARK DOES NOT HAVE ALL OF 5101-5112

Right now @ UP: 5075-5099, 5100-5105, 5109-5110.

FLATBUSH: 5106-5108, 5111-5124.

* Also spotted said buses working on various FLATBUSH ROUTES during the week, and ALL BUSES HAVE FLATBUSH DECALS.

Qiuck question, why is UPK getting those buses anyway? And i hope its not because of the Orion VII cuz thats a dumb reason

OK so here is the truth for all of you non MTA employees who think that they know what is going on inside the MTA operations.

Bus 5105 was sent to Ulmer Park because: Flatbush has gotten approx 75 New Hybrid buses and Ulmer Park has an aging fleet but has not gotten Hybrids yet. U/P is starting to get some of the 10 year old 5000 series buses from Flatbush and in turn is sending their oldest buses to the Eastchester Depot where they will be sold, dismantled for parts for depots that still have RTS's.

In the next 12-18 months, Flatbush will have only Hybrids as will Ulmer Park. All the RTS fleet is being phased out due to environmental concerns. As a point of fact: the Quill Depot in Manhattan has yet to get hybrids but there is a timetable in place to receive their Hybrids starting this month.(March)

The oldest bus at Quill is of the 1993 model year (8300 series) and will be amongst the first RTS buses to go to Eastchester Depot. The Manhattanville Depot is starting to get their New Hybrids at this time as is the 126th Street Depot.

At this time, the biggest concern is getting fareboxes for these new Hybrids as they do not come with them from factory. As old RTS buses are taken out of service, their fareboxes are removed as are the electronic signboards from inside the bus above the operator. This is one of the causes of delays in getting hybrids into the depots inventory. Each hybrid costs approx $600,000.00 each so getting them on the road and producing revenue to pay for itself is of the highest priority.

Please don't speculate on what you think the NYCTA is doing. The operators and dispatchers know what is going on in their depots with respect to the operating equipment. I know that there are alot of bus "buffs" out there but spreading rumors is not wise. Guessing is not knowing so, wait and see what happens over a period of time then you may comment intelligently on your views to the other "buffs" out there. When you ride a bus, ask the operator any questions you have. Just save the questions for the end of the line as we want to concentrate on operating safely and getting you to your destinations. Thank you for riding MTA New York City Transit.(MTA)

OK so here is the truth for all of you non MTA employees who think that they know what is going on inside the MTA operations.

Bus 5105 was sent to Ulmer Park because: Flatbush has gotten approx 75 New Hybrid buses and Ulmer Park has an aging fleet but has not gotten Hybrids yet. U/P is starting to get some of the 10 year old 5000 series buses from Flatbush and in turn is sending their oldest buses to the Eastchester Depot where they will be sold, dismantled for parts for depots that still have RTS's.

In the next 12-18 months, Flatbush will have only Hybrids as will Ulmer Park. All the RTS fleet is being phased out due to environmental concerns. As a point of fact: the Quill Depot in Manhattan has yet to get hybrids but there is a timetable in place to receive their Hybrids starting this month.(March)

The oldest bus at Quill is of the 1993 model year (8300 series) and will be amongst the first RTS buses to go to Eastchester Depot. The Manhattanville Depot is starting to get their New Hybrids at this time as is the 126th Street Depot.

At this time, the biggest concern is getting fareboxes for these new Hybrids as they do not come with them from factory. As old RTS buses are taken out of service, their fareboxes are removed as are the electronic signboards from inside the bus above the operator. This is one of the causes of delays in getting hybrids into the depots inventory. Each hybrid costs approx $600,000.00 each so getting them on the road and producing revenue to pay for itself is of the highest priority.

Please don't speculate on what you think the NYCTA is doing. The operators and dispatchers know what is going on in their depots with respect to the operating equipment. I know that there are alot of bus "buffs" out there but spreading rumors is not wise. Guessing is not knowing so, wait and see what happens over a period of time then you may comment intelligently on your views to the other "buffs" out there. When you ride a bus, ask the operator any questions you have. Just save the questions for the end of the line as we want to concentrate on operating safely and getting you to your destinations. Thank you for riding MTA New York City Transit.(MTA)

Finally someone who is correct. Thanks!