To the members under 18: How did you become a fan of NYC subway trains & buses?

Shortline Bus

What got me into buses is when I first heard one of these babies go into service.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLZOWjVF000

What got me studying buses is this thing right here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoaBdlaNJ2Q

That groar always fascinated me, the way it echoed off buildings, setted off car alarms, and scared some children. It's music to my ears.

Wow i did not know Thomas the tank engine was such a popular show.:eek:

ohhhh yea!! very popular indeed

Oh, and I always used to watch Thomas the Tank Engine and have their toy trains as well.

I will simply list my reasons:

1. Thomas the Tank Engine.

2. Riding redbirds with my dad.

3. Starlight Express.

Yay,We all liked Thomas and collected the stuff,well I dont know about Roku if she collected any thomas stuff.

Heh...well let's see...I'm over 18 but what the hey this thread might bring me back a little...

Always thought the subway was cool when I was little, kneeling on the seats and looking out the side, or getting held up to look out the front. Ironically for a kid I never really liked Thomas the Tank Engine, the whole "they talked" thing didn't really do it for me...always liked the real stuff hah. Was fascinated by model trains and got a few sets, and after I got riding the subways as a kid used to like to "sign em up" as subway routes and run them around the layouts I had. I remember getting a National Geographic video when I was little about trains around the world that was pretty cool too, showed them rerailing a car where one axle came off the track and some other stuff...As a kid riding the subway I noticed little differences in the car classes (even as a grade schooler I could tell apart the silver cars on the (4) (R62) from the silver cars on the (6) (R62A) - though I didn't know their names)...when I was a kid I wanted to be a motorman...then got away from it a bit in my teen years though I always just always enjoyed riding and later learned the equipment, some of signals and some of the procedures throughout the system. Got back into it in the past 5 or so years realizing I may make a career out of it, but I enjoy it because it's always enjoyable to ride, and once you get past "trains are cool" and merely railfanning to take pictures and chase GO's, you will find that there is a lot of interesting stuff to learn and that no matter what you learn there will always be something else new to learn. Unfortunately a lot of railfans don't get past that, but those who do are very interesting people with lives outside of enjoying transit and a lot of productive information exchange can take place when you meet those people.

i've been riding the rails as long as i can remember. i remember lookin out the nice RFW's on the 40 slant West End B back when i was like 2 years old. idk i was just kinda always into it, and especially ever since i discovered BVE and everything and i never grew out of my childhood love of trains (and probably never will)

buses i actually only started riding the buses recently when i moved to queens, when i lived in bklyn i never rode the bus but i guess subways and buses go hand in hand lol

I was fan since I was 6 years old,I was playing at the park in Fort George West Amsterdam Avenue, last stop for M101 this was pre new flyer artic,at the time 1980's GMS RTS rule that route with (NYCT) logo and all,I was going home with my dad on till a bus driver who was long time friend of my dad wanted to see him,so me with my curiosity wanted to sit in the driver sit,and my dad friend is it was ok, it was so much fun pretend to a bus driver,grabing the big streeing wheel,I had a good time and like the Detroit Diesel 6V71N sound, I was a bus fan ever since.:D

Well, my story:

When I was like 2-3 years old, I was a person who couldn't stay in one spot (who wasn't)

So my grandmother was all "sit down DJ, stop playing with everything" so, I did... for half a second.. then she got super annoyed and took out a ton of transit schedules and made me read. Next thing you know: bam! New Transit Fan on the Streets

i've always loved the subways. ever since i was little. i guess i'm the weird one of my family, cause everytime someone would mention the subway, i'd just get excited and happy. my first subway ride was on the (6)<6> when i lived in co-op city. i'd always kneel in the seat and be amazed looking out the windows and hearing the sound of the train. sometimes i'd even take the (2) to brooklyn. i was amazed at the different subway cars, and just everything about the subway. 19 years later, i'm still the same way, even though i don't live in new york anymore. every summer when i come to visit, i'm like really excited to ride the subways again. go to family and friends houses via the subway. the R110a, R142a, and R160a/b will always be my cars. and the subways will always be my life!

<6>

• 2 weeks later...

My first ride was properly when I was in middle of Simon Baruch JHS. Six, Seven grade, I have to take school bus before my mom or roommate does not allow me to ride subway at that time. If I was late, I only could use M15.

When I was late, I took (6).

Next, I became HSES student for first two years, I felt tire of school bus because of sometimes delay.

My school bus always came to HSES late on 2nd or 3rd year when I had GYM first period, so I have to wear GYM Uniform under my clothes.

When I was late school bus, I used to take subway and bus.

I think on 12th grade year, I travel on subway and bus.

After that, I became interest in subways, buses, trolleys.

Archived