L Subway Line To Be Run By Computers

eli

The L train speeds into the future with new computerized technology.

Starting Tuesday, the Manhattan-Brooklyn subway line will be controlled by a computerized signal system, which will allow trains to run more frequently.

The project was given a $300 million price tag two years ago, but its activation was put off several times due to some technical glitches.

The system will first be used during off peak hours and there will be drivers onboard to take over if anything goes wrong.

MTA officials say this is proven technology which is already used in other U.S. and European cities.

NY 1

Finally.

Don't worry, there will always be manned trains, as machines are not perfect. I'm not really concerned about trains running faster, which is nice, but i am mainly happy to hear that it'll be much safer due to the nature of the system. No more overshot red lights. I have muy respect for motermen/engineers/train operators, but every so often someone shows up for work in not the best condition to be controlling a how many hundreds of feet long multi-tons passenger (or even freight) device especially if something happens such as them becoming ill or something unexpected.

Hopefully this will expand to other lines soon.

- A

L of a change as computer goes on track

BY Pete Donohue

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Saturday, February 21st 2009, 4:00 AM

Robo train is finally pulling into the station next week.

Starting Tuesday, L line trains will be fully controlled by a computerized signal system, officials said Friday.

Motormen working the Brooklyn-Manhattan line will remain on board and take over if problems arise, officials said.

Communications Based Train Control will enable NYC Transit to run trains closer together and more frequently than the current antiquated signal system allows.

The technology is the agency's best hope of relieving overcrowding across the system and handling future population growth, officials have said.

CBTC will first be used during overnight hours before the morning rush and then other off-peak periods.

Activating the computer mode has been delayed many times over the years due to software problems, technical glitches and a failure to order enough CBTC-ready subway cars.

The cost of the CBTC system was pegged at $300 million two years ago.

The MTA had wanted to remove conductors from trains in automatic mode but had to back off because the move violated the transit workers' contract.

Critics have raised safety concerns but Steve Feil, NYC Transit's vice president of subways, said straphangers shouldn't fret.

"This is a safe system with proven technology," Feil said Friday night. "This technology is not in its infancy."

pdonohue@nydailynews.com

From NorthEasternT/O on Subchat

I just got word that ATO will start then. I looked out the Butten from the MTA Emp. Web-Site and found the one.

BULLETU'J NO.: 39-09 February 18, 2009

TO: ALL EMPLOYEES (ESPECIALLY TRAm OPERATORS) SUBJECT: CANARSIE. LINE -AUTOMATIC TRAIN OPERATION AND

ALERTER OPERATION

Effective February 24, 2009 Automatic Train Operation (ATO) mode will be implemented on the Canarsie. Line, on R143 train consists designated for ATO operation: Train Operators will operate in ATO mode in accordance with the CBTC Operating Rules and

Regulations and CBTC Operating Procedures.

All Train Operators are reminded ofCBTC Rule 6.04(a) which states:

"6.04(a) A train must not be operated in Automatic Train Operation mode immediately after it has been stopped due to an application of the train's emergency brake system, or when assuming operation ofa train on a storage or relay track, or at a terminal The Train Operator must make all the required brake tests. At the next station stop, select Automatic Train Operation mode ifconditions allow. "

Train Operators must not operate in ATO until they have received the "ATO Refresher" critique from a Train Service Supervisor and must adhere to the following procedure:

"ATO Available" is displayed on the top left comer of the CBTC Train Operator Display (TOD).

Whenever A TO mode is available and conditions allow:

a.

Train Operators will select ATO mode by lifting the "ATO START" cover on the console and depressing the A TO push button.

b.

Train Operators must test the Alerter audible warning functionality when ATO mode is initially selected (at the first station stop after leaving a terminal), by allowing the warning to sound for one or two seconds before depressing the Alerter push button.

c.

If the audible warning fails to sound, immediately operate in Automatic Train Protection Manual (A TPM) mode by moving the Master Controller from the Full Service Brake position and continue operating in ATPM mode.

d.

All Alerter malfunctions must be reported to the Rail Control Center at the next station and entered on the car defect sheet upon arrival at the terminal

BULLETmNO.: 39-09 Page 1 of2

I'll see if I can do a RailFan trip... I'll carry the Camera and of course print that Rules of Conduct out... I hope the test goes well and has a good impact on the NYCT system... The (L) is ready to roll, :)!

IMO, it would just look like regular operation. Nothing special. You can't take pictures of the cab and how the personnel actually do it.

Man, I need to get down there as a T/O before the MTA starts spreading CBTC around system wide.

tah,you really think the system will be have a lot CBTC by 2015+? you really think the MTA has that kind of money? basic point,dont worry man,you wont see CBTC on any line other line (except the (7)) until like 2020

tah,you really think the system will be have a lot CBTC by 2015+? you really think the MTA has that kind of money? basic point,dont worry man,you wont see CBTC on any line other line (except the (7)) until like 2020

The next line to get it will likely be the (J)(M)(Z). The (7)<7> has a lot of issues that need to be resolved before any kind of computerization system is put in. The first IRT line to get it will likely be the (1) with tis fancy new terminal. Also the SAS will have this.

- A

Well with the bill that congress passed, if the MTA gets the money from it, who knows?

The next line to get it will likely be the (J)(M)(Z). The (7)<7> has a lot of issues that need to be resolved before any kind of computerization system is put in. The first IRT line to get it will likely be the (1) with tis fancy new terminal. Also the SAS will have this.

- A

There is already bidding being done for a contract for CBTC on the (7). I don't have the link with me though but you could probably find it on Google. The (7) will likely be next because the R188s will upgrade the R142/As to CBTC and will be just for the (7). The (7) is also an isolated line.

Archived