Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
R32 3348

Coney Island Kisses the R40s Goodbye!

I'm a little surprised this wasn't posted already.

Last Slant arrived at Brighton Beach Thursday morning, 2/19/09, approx. 09:48.

Consist was (S) 4240/4241-4186/4187-4152/4153-4227/4226-4216/4217 (N).

All 24 remaining Slants were to be transferred to Pitkin as of Saturday, February 21 for further service on the A. All 144 Slants will then be at Pitkin.

The underlying cause of this (BTW) was acceptance of Option I R-160B's 9133-9142 on Thursday. The R-160 fleet at Coney Island now stands at 500 total.

So ends over 28 continuous years of Slant R-40 usage at Coney Island. After spending their early years in Queens (1968-1977), they went to 207 Street/Pitkin and were used on the A starting in October 1977. The first group were assigned to Coney Island in October 1980 for use on what was then the AA/B. They and the R-38's ran together on the AA/B for several months, and by September 1982 the Slants were were mostly (but not entirely) on the AA/B and the R-38's moved to the A. All remaining Slants were finally consolidated at Coney Island as of April 28, 1985 and the rest, is HISTORY!...

Regards,

George Chiasson Jr.

(Widecab5@aol.com)

This marks the end of an era. Also, the remaining R40Ms will go to Jamaica.

End of an era, like end of Yankee Stadium!

Totally agree. This is both sad and optimistic...:cry::)

Do the R40S on the (A) run to the Rockaways, or just the Lefferts branch?

those R40 slants, while horrible in appearance in condition, made the B a roadrunner. now those fat chicks, R68/68As, which i do like because of their clean bodies and symmetrical appearance, will make the express run not very fun anymore. i do not think all R40Ms are going to jamaica. some are going to retire with the slants. these Coney Island slants are being used to retire the last of the R38s.

Guest Charles

The slants have run on the (A) to Lefferts Blvd, Far Rockaway, and Rockaway Park (during GOs)! I was lucky enough to get a slant to Mott Avenue...it was the ride of a lifetime! I'll surely miss the R40 slants.

The run to the Rockaways too. Been on one about four times going out there.

The slants have run on the (A) to Lefferts Blvd, Far Rockaway, and Rockaway Park (during GOs)! I was lucky enough to get a slant to Mott Avenue...it was the ride of a lifetime! I'll surely miss the R40 slants.

I got on a Lefferts slant several times. It was amazing.

I've always been used to seeing the R40 Slants on the B and W, as well as occasionally on the N or Q until early 2008. When I saw them on the C, I swore that someone must have drugged me as some sort of a joke. And then when I saw them appear on the A, I thought I had travelled through time to the early 1980s (minus the grafitti and filth, of course). The only bad thing about the R40s being on the A is the very loud, hollow sound that they make, and the fact that on the Far Rockaway branch in Rockaway, the cars sway very violently from side to side. No wonder they are making weekend track repairs over there. The tracks are very badly misaligned in Rockaway(A)(:)(C)(H)(K)

When I saw them on the C, I swore that someone must have drugged me as some sort of a joke.

I had the same feeling when a Mod with a C rollsign flew in into 34th Street on the night of the 8th of December.

Anyone remember the <Q>? I personally thought that the time that line had R40s was the best. There was absolutely no congestion on the Broadway express unlike the (:) or (Q6) on 6th Avenue. The R40s would just race down Broadway and Brighton. As far as I could remember, I always stood up in most of the rides due to their painful seats and their A/C was the BEST .

Anyone remember the <Q>? I personally thought that the time that line had R40s was the best. There was absolutely no congestion on the Broadway express unlike the (:) or (Q6) on 6th Avenue. The R40s would just race down Broadway and Brighton. As far as I could remember, I always stood up in most of the rides due to their painful seats and their A/C was the BEST .

Yeah that is true.. it was all if not most slants on the <Q>

The Slants especially goes to Far Rockaway. it seems like they use them more on the Rockaway line than the Lefferts Branch (from what I've seen).

I always associated them with the (:). But then again I rode the subway a lot less back then and when I did ride it was just the (A)

True, there is a strong connection between the slant and the B.

Oh by the way, in the American Museum of Natural History, the floor plan has like these photos of exhibits. There is a picture showing the subway (because one of its entrances point straight to the subway), that photo shows the slant with the B rollsign on the front.

This is shocking news.... No more Slants on the Brighton anymore....:tdown::cry: Since 1997, slants have been running the Brighton Express, and now all of a sudden, they're gone.... How Ill miss seeing them all over Brighton, and Coney Island....:)

I hope the R-40 Slants will have a good time serving the NYC in heaven... This is depressing, I also miss the R-32's exclusivly since they are gone from my (E) line... The (E) has the match with the R-32's but apparently, those rusty R-40M/42 came on the (E)... :)...

The slants still have a longevity of a couple of months on the A before they are done.