A pics for today.A throwback. the 1980s GMC RTS Bus...Take it way back to the 1980s..

tkx2510

how long ago did they retire?

about 5 years ago give or take, for NYCT's, and then soon after the takeover for the PBL ones. When the hybrids were coming in they were going out. Cuz I remember in like 4th or 5th grade or something like that there would be quite a few on the Q88 and the Q58 which I would take to get home from school, and then they were gone, replaced with the hybrids. It seemed like they just disappeared.

Guest Charles

I never did get a chance to experience NYCT's GMC RTSs...though I did ride the Triboro GMC RTSs (6xx's and 7xx's) quite often! Were they the same model?

I LOVED the Triboro RTSs. Really fast on the accelerator!

not all of them are from the 80's!!!! i mean the pics! my reason for saying this is the (MTA) Logo.... in the 80's that wasnt around yet. it was still the(NYCT) logo. but overall, nice pics.. its sad to see those go because for years the RTS has been the Face of New York City's Buses

I never did get a chance to experience NYCT's GMC RTSs...though I did ride the Triboro GMC RTSs (6xx's and 7xx's) quite often! Were they the same model?

I think so, just different specs for different companies. The NYCT ones were quite bumpy, and the 6V92 accelerated quite slowly compared to the DDS50s in the Novas I would catch on the same lines (governed?), but I still preferred the GMCs over the newer buses.

Archived