5 Years Ago Today..... Brooklyn-Bound (D) Trains!

Brighton Local

5 Years Ago today, Sunday, February 22, 2004, the first of many (D) Trains pulled into the Southbound Express Track at Herald Square-34 St, and ran the dash, & the newly reconstructed Manhattan Bridge To Coney Island, via 4 Av Express & West End replacing the (W). (N) Service was shifted from the Montague St Tunnel to The South side of the Manhattan Bridge with today's existing (Q) Train, however, began running via Broadway Local between Chinatown-Canal St & Times Square. (Q) Service was normal today; Midtown-57 St/7 Av To Brighton Beach-Broadway Express/Brighton Local. The (R) was all solo via 4 Av local, Montague St, and Lower Manhattan. The newly extended (:) route will begin (tomorrow), as well as the newly shortened (W) Route. (M) Service, will begin operating to Bay Pkwy rush hours as well (tomorrow); hence, scrapping the 9 Av Midday service..

Zachary

I thought the first (D) that ran over the bridge was an uptown via 4th Avenue and 6th Avenue Local

the (D) is 6th avenue express at all times, though if this service pattern started at midnight on February 22, 2004, then yeah, it would make local stops in Brooklyn. the (N) would make local stops along its entire route via the Montague Street Tunnel. on weekends, it makes local stops in Manhattan.

I was on board that histroic first Brooklyn bound (D) at 1210am in Feb. 2004 when the current service pattern began:cool:. I was out on date to see a movie as i was still living in Brooklyn at time and then it was over waited 45 minutes at 59th-Columbus Circle to board history.

The (D) ran as a 6th Ave local then via the bridge stopping at Deklab then along the late night routing as 4th Ave Local.

A few members of the media including a New York 1 news tv crew & also railfans from other NYC area websites such as NYPIRG Straphangers Campaign Riders diaries and sub chat were aboard between West 4th and Atlantic-Pacific stations.

FYI. The last remaining (W)was also running and by time our eide got to Stillwell around 130am all of the trains on West End were offically (D) trains.

So i was a part of history.:)

Bring the (D) back to the Brighton!

I want the Brighton to be the Local (D) Train and Express (B)Train. Also give a few R160As and R160Bs to the (:) and (D).

ok, you need to know this before posting irresponsible comments like this. 1) it is very stupid to have two different lines going to the same route in Manhattan on the Brighton line. 2) the <Q> and (B) were part-time lines during the reconstruction project, so it only made sense to merge them together. 3) the (B) can no longer terminate at 21st Street-Queensbridge on evenings and weekends like it used to because the (F) now runs through it. 4) most Brighton customers prefer Broadway service. that is why the (Q) remained the same. 5) West End residents said they wanted full-time access to Grand Street. that is why the (D) was put there. Do you get the picture?

The D isn't the same without the R68s. I would rather put the R46s from the F on the B. That way when the F is mostly R160As, some R68As from the B can go to the A when the R32s are gone.

the (D) has always been entirely R68s since 1996. R46s will never go on the (B) because i already said they are banned from the Brighton Line. i prefer R68/68As over R46s because they are cleaner. when R160s go on the (F), the R46s will be moved to the (A)(C).

Ok Grand Street (S)huttle never ran local via 6th Avenue....its only ran b/w Grand Street and West 4th Street-Washington Square!

i think he meant taking out the shuttle via the express tracks to Jamaica. if i recall, the shuttle used R46s, which are maintained at jamaica.

ok, you need to know this before posting irresponsible comments like this. 1) it is very stupid to have two different lines going to the same route in Manhattan on the Brighton line. 2) the <Q> and (:) were part-time lines during the reconstruction project, so it only made sense to merge them together. 3) the (B) can no longer terminate at 21st Street-Queensbridge on evenings and weekends like it used to because the (F) now runs through it. 4) most Brighton customers prefer Broadway service. that is why the (Q) remained the same. 5) West End residents said they wanted full-time access to Grand Street. that is why the (D) was put there. Do you get the picture?

the (D) has always been entirely R68s since 1996. R46s will never go on the (B) because i already said they are banned from the Brighton Line. i prefer R68/68As over R46s because they are cleaner. when R160s go on the (F), the R46s will be moved to the (A)(C).

i think he meant taking out the shuttle via the express tracks to Jamaica. if i recall, the shuttle used R46s, which are maintained at jamaica.

yep thats what I was trying to say

ok, you need to know this before posting irresponsible comments like this. 1) it is very stupid to have two different lines going to the same route in Manhattan on the Brighton line. 2) the <Q> and (:) were part-time lines during the reconstruction project, so it only made sense to merge them together. 3) the (B) can no longer terminate at 21st Street-Queensbridge on evenings and weekends like it used to because the (F) now runs through it. 4) most Brighton customers prefer Broadway service. that is why the (Q) remained the same. 5) West End residents said they wanted full-time access to Grand Street. that is why the (D) was put there. Do you get the picture?

This is NOT an irresponsible comment. First off, you need to calm yourself down when people say something that you don't think fits. Id take the (D) back on the Brighton Line any day of the week. There's no picture here to see, as you say. There are still riders out there who prefer a certain service pattern over another, and they have every right to display what they think they, should/could be. On the same token, having 2 6 Av Lines, via Brighton, In my opinion, wouldn't be feasible, no. I listed a numerous amount of times as to why the (B) & (D) did not return to their respective routes, but that won't stop anybody from displaying what they wish they can see....

Ok Grand Street (S)huttle never ran local via 6th Avenue....its only ran b/w Grand Street and West 4th Street-Washington Square!

Curake during 2001-04 you correct that the Grand St (S) ran only between West 4th and Grand. However during the 1st long term closure of the 6th Ave tracks on the Manhatttan Bridge, the (S) did ran between 57th/6th and Grand via 6th Ave local between April 1986-Nov. 1988. This was prior to the 1st leg of the 63rd St Tunnel opening in late 1989.

Just want to clear the record.:)

This is NOT an irresponsible comment. First off, you need to calm yourself down when people say something that you don't think fits. Id take the (D) back on the Brighton Line any day of the week. There's no picture here to see, as you say. There are still riders out there who prefer a certain service pattern over another, and they have every right to display what they think they, should/could be. On the same token, having 2 6 Av Lines, via Brighton, In my opinion, wouldn't be feasible, no. I listed a numerous amount of times as to why the (:) & (D) did not return to their respective routes, but that won't stop anybody from displaying what they wish they can see....

Although i generally like the current subway setup for the Manhattan Bridge lines, the only thing i dislike is this. That the fact the Brighton line does not have a full time 7 day a week access to the 6th Ave coordior. Either the (B)should run 7 days a week between 145th and Brighton(every day 6am-11pm at least) or the (D)runs as a 4th Ave Local stopping at Deklab on weekends. Just my takes.

Although i generally like the current subway setup for the Manhattan Bridge lines, the only thing i dislike is this. That the fact the Brighton line does not have a full time 7 day a week access to the 6th Ave coordior. Either the (B)should run 7 days a week between 145th and Brighton(every day 6am-11pm at least) or the (D)runs as a 4th Ave Local stopping at Deklab on weekends. Just my takes.

I hear you man. Brighton should have that 6 Av Link, but transit figures that Pacific and 34 Sts, are the keys to utilize the (D) train in every aspect.

I hear you man. Brighton should have that 6 Av Link, but transit figures that Pacific and 34 Sts, are the keys to utilize the (D) train in every aspect.

Off topic. The only other thing i dislike i forget to say is this on the Manhattan Bridge current setup. The (R) late night service should run to at least Whitehall St. The (R) Bay Ridge shuttle is a joke often not running and replaced by shuttle buses between 36th-sunset park and 95th, the (N) can get crowded especially between Dekalb and 59th.

That why IMO the MTA proposal to close the Bway Local stations at Court & Lawerence & all of them in Lower Manhattan overnights is a terrible idea. A copromise could be close Rector St at nights but keep the other open.:mad:

that is why i think the (B) should run on weekends. the (Q) and (C) get jam packed at that time.

ok, you need to know this before posting irresponsible comments like this. 1) it is very stupid to have two different lines going to the same route in Manhattan on the Brighton line. 2) the <Q> and (B) were part-time lines during the reconstruction project, so it only made sense to merge them together. 3) the (:P can no longer terminate at 21st Street-Queensbridge on evenings and weekends like it used to because the (F) now runs through it. 4) most Brighton customers prefer Broadway service. that is why the (Q) remained the same. 5) West End residents said they wanted full-time access to Grand Street. that is why the (D) was put there. Do you get the picture?

then what did the (D) use before they got the R68's in 1996?

Curake during 2001-04 you correct that the Grand St (S) ran only between West 4th and Grand. However during the 1st long term closure of the 6th Ave tracks on the Manhatttan Bridge, the (S) did ran between 57th/6th and Grand via 6th Ave local between April 1986-Nov. 1988. This was prior to the 1st leg of the 63rd St Tunnel opening in late 1989.

Just want to clear the record.B)

I remember seeing that on an old subway map and it was the orange (S)...thanks!

The D isn't the same without the R68s. I would rather put the R46s from the F on the B. That way when the F is mostly R160As, some R68As from the B can go to the A when the R32s are gone.

ur right about the (D) not having R68's. but....

R46's on the (B) wouldnt be a bad idea and putting R160's on the (F) isnt a bad idea either...

but placing R68A's on the (A), no way!!! keep them on the (Q) and send those R160's to the (A)(C) instead.

"Although i generally like the current subway setup for the Manhattan Bridge lines, the only thing i dislike is this. That the fact the Brighton line does not have a full time 7 day a week access to the 6th Ave coordior. Either the (B) should run 7 days a week between 145th and Brighton(every day 6am-11pm at least) or the (D) runs as a 4th Ave Local stopping at Deklab on weekends. Just my takes."

having the (D) run via 4 Av Local on the weekends would be really nice. but having the (:P run on the weekends, that would be nice too, but itll cause too much congestion at DeKalb Ave, especially during G.O.'s. where they will eventually have the (D)(N) run local stopping at DeKalb Av, or the (Q) run via the (R) line, stopping at the (R) track at DeKalb Av.

its bad enough the (B)(Q) share the same track between DeKalb Ave and Prospect Park, and on the southbound side between Kings Highway and Brighton Beach. That'll cause too much congestion. but yes it would be a nice idea to have the (D) run via 4 Av Local on weekends, with a quick stop at DeKalb Av.

"Although i generally like the current subway setup for the Manhattan Bridge lines, the only thing i dislike is this. That the fact the Brighton line does not have a full time 7 day a week access to the 6th Ave coordior. Either the (B) should run 7 days a week between 145th and Brighton(every day 6am-11pm at least) or the (D) runs as a 4th Ave Local stopping at Deklab on weekends. Just my takes."

having the (D) run via 4 Av Local on the weekends would be really nice. but having the (:P run on the weekends, that would be nice too, but itll cause too much congestion at DeKalb Ave, especially during G.O.'s. where they will eventually have the (D)(N) run local stopping at DeKalb Av, or the (Q) run via the (R) line, stopping at the (R) track at DeKalb Av.

its bad enough the (B)(Q) share the same track between DeKalb Ave and Prospect Park, and on the southbound side between Kings Highway and Brighton Beach. That'll cause too much congestion. but yes it would be a nice idea to have the (D) run via 4 Av Local on weekends, with a quick stop at DeKalb Av.

if any big G.O.s happen, they can just cancel the (B) train during that time.

ur right about the (D) not having R68's. but....

R46's on the (B) wouldnt be a bad idea and putting R160's on the (F) isnt a bad idea either...

but placing R68A's on the (A), no way!!! keep them on the (Q) and send those R160's to the (A)(C) instead.

too bad that is not going to happen. Coney Island and Jamaica are set to get the rest of the 5-car R160s, so yeah, the (E)(F)(Q)(W) will be fully R160s by spring 2010 and some R68/68As may be moved to Pitkin on the (A)(C). i must say, having R68/68As on those two lines are certainly an improvement over those ugly R44s and the just okay R46s.

Archived