Planning for a railfanning trip!

Smoot178

As you may or may not know I will be moving to NYC for the first time March 8-10. I'd like to start planning a trip for Saturday, March 14.

Here's the info:

Starting at South Ferry

Time:

To be decided

Route:

To be decided

I'd like to zip up from South Ferry to Times Square for lunch then we can get underway. I really don't know what everyone wants to see so make some suggestions. We might just end up just winging it.

Before one makes plans, think about which parts of the system you want to visit.

Coney Island?

(A) R40S Far Rockaway?

West Farms Square?

Smith-9 Sts?

Since this is a weekend trip, see here for the service advisories.

Unless you want to explore shuttle buses like Yuki likes to do, avoid those areas at all costs.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 3.4; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Exploring key points of the system (especially on the weekend) is a big task. I would spread it across several days. (Spring Break is around that time so it may be feasible for some)

If starting from SF, I suggest taking the (1) to TSQ, exit, and go eat lunch. (There's a McDonald's there if you don't mind. [For junkies like me :-p])

Afterwards, head down to the system and pick your poison.

There's the (N) via Sea Beach. (If there's a G.O., you might get it running on West End) and the (Q) via Brighton. If you don't want to head to C.I., you can try CPW.

The (A) hopefully will be running express so you can get a good ride from 59th - 145th Street. From there, you can take the (C) back down CPW via the local tracks. (Its a local, but the SMEEs really tear up the line. :-) )

Travel back to 42nd in which you can get a good speed run from 50th to 42nd. (One stop but the station is not aligned at 42nd.)

Finally, you can explore your C.I options or fan the IRT. (In which I have no knowledge of)

If you're going to do the C.I. route, don't come back the same way you go. Like said above, you can get on Sea Beach, or Brighton and take it down. If you take any one stop down to 34th St - Herald Square, the (D) is availble for travel on West End.

That's my idea for the day. It feels like a lot, but its not when you're in the subway. On top of that, every stop left and right, there's somewhere new to explore. In Addition, G.O.s are ugly on the weekends, so that may add to the excitement, or just cause frusturation. Hopefully, te former will occur. :-D

I really would suggest doing it on a weekday.

And here's some routes I'd like to do soon, maybe you'd be interested too: (A) on a R40S to the Rockaways via Fulton, 8th Av and CPW Express. Also, the (J) with a stop at Broadway Junction.

I might actually skip school some time this month to go, lol. Spring term HS senior!:)

I really would suggest doing it on a weekday.

And here's some routes I'd like to do soon, maybe you'd be interested too: (A) on a R40S to the Rockaways via Fulton, 8th Av and CPW Express. Also, the (J) with a stop at Broadway Junction.

I might actually skip school some time this month to go, lol. Spring term HS senior!:)

LOL, normally I'd say something about skipping school just to railfan, but senioritis is excusable in my book. :cool:

LOL, normally I'd say something about skipping school just to railfan, but senioritis is excusable in my book. :cool:

:) LOL. Especially since I got accepted by the college I wanna go already.

But anyways, Smoot, QBL Express would be fun to RF as well. Also, ride the Flushing line to Flushing if you want some good Asian food for dinner. o__o :tup:

These plans contain many of the good spots people talk about. Unfortuately, this plan takes A LOT of time. You will have to decide which locations are unimportant to you and eliminate them if you don't have a whole day to dedicate to this.

If you're a B Div fan:

NOTE: G.O.'s for 3/14 will cause the (A) to run local. If possible, try to go on a weekday both for less G.O.'s and also a greater frequency of service.

(1) to Chambers St.

(2) to Times Sq.

Eat lunch

(1) to 168

(A) to Beach 67 St. (Jamaica Bay RFW, express run, old stock)

(A) to Nostrand Av.

(C) to Franklin Av.

(S) to Prospect Pk.

(:) (or (Q) if on weekend) to Coney Island

Railfan Coney Island

(F) to Av. X

Railfan Av. X (view of CI Yard)

(F) to Smith-9 St.

Railfan Smith-9 St.

(G) to Metropolitan Av.

(L) to Myrtle Av. (CBTC, electronic train display)

(M) to Myrtle Av.

(J) to Sutphin Blvd.

...whatever method you want to your endpoint.

I don't know that much about the A div. I will make a plan if you give me a list of places that are important.

If you already got accepted by a college and took the SAT and Regents exams then there's no point of attending class. The spring semester of my senior year was the least stressful semester.

If you already got accepted by a college and took the SAT and Regents exams then there's no point of attending class. The spring semester of my senior year was the least stressful semester.

what the hell are you saying that? one failed class can take away your graduation privileges. just because you passed the SAT and got accepted to the college you like does not mean you should slack off. dont railfan unless you have the spare time. i only returned to that hobby because i have a 3 1/2 hour break between classes on tuesdays and thursdays.

what the hell are you saying that? one failed class can take away your graduation privileges. just because you passed the SAT and got accepted to the college you like does not mean you should slack off. dont railfan unless you have the spare time. i only returned to that hobby because i have a 3 1/2 hour break between classes on tuesdays and thursdays.

Hey dude, chillax. Skipping a once in a while isn't gonna make you fail.

And let's get back to helping out Smoot with his planning. :cool:

I could recommend this trip:

Start:

-(1) from South Ferry to 242 - Van Cortlandt.

-Down to 96 St transfer to the (3) to 148 - Lenox.

-Return down to 42nd on the (3) use the (S)huttle and ride down on (6) to Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall.

Optional: Although you can ride past Brooklyn Bridge via the old City Hall Station loop, I recommend you not to until you are familiar to NYPD, T/O and C/R acting...

-Ride the (6) back up, transfer to (7) and ride all the way to Main Street and back to 74 - Broadway (Queens).

-Walk down to (E)(F)(V)(G)(R) - Roosevelt and ride the (E) to Jamaica Center and back to Forest Hills.

-Transfer to the (F) on the same station and ride the (F) all the way to Coney Island.

-Transfer to (Q) up to Brighton Beach.

-Transfer to the (B) at same station and ride it express to Prospect Park.

-Transfer to the (S) at Franklin making a round trip.

-Ride the (:P or (Q) all the way to 42nd Street and end the trip there.

Overall, that is my best way of riding the Subway visiting almost all the wonderful lines...

You can use half of the trip riding wonderful views instead of wasting time to ride the (A) all the way out to the almost empty Rockaways when you can enjoy the same view riding the (B)(F)(Q)...

Too much backtracking. If necessary, you could eliminate the Rockaways from my plan, leaving you with this:

NOTE: G.O.'s for 3/14 will cause the (A) to run local. If possible, try to go on a weekday both for less G.O.'s and also a greater frequency of service.

(1) to Chambers St.

(2) to Times Sq.

Eat lunch

Optional: (1) to 168

(A) to Hoyt-Schermerhorn St. (express run, old stock)

(C) to Franklin Av.

(S) to Prospect Pk.

(B) (or (Q) if on weekend) to Coney Island

Railfan Coney Island

(F) to Av. X

(F) to Smith-9 St.

Railfan Smith-9 St.

(G) to Metropolitan Av.

(M) to Myrtle Av.

(J) to Sutphin Blvd.

I'm mostly looking for people to come along and just wing it. Just go train by train and have some fun.

Anyone wanna go? It's all new to me so I don't really care where we go!

I guess I'll come if it's a Monday or Tuesday, unless a test comes up or something.

Too much backtracking. If necessary, you could eliminate the Rockaways from my plan, leaving you with this:

(1) to Chambers St.

(2) to Times Sq.

Eat lunch

Optional: (1) to 168

(A) to Hoyt-Schermerhorn St. (express run, old stock)

(C) to Franklin Av.

(S) to Prospect Pk.

(B) (or (Q) if on weekend) to Coney Island

Railfan Coney Island

(F) to Av. X

(F) to Smith-9 St.

Railfan Smith-9 St.

(G) to Metropolitan Av.

(M) to Myrtle Av.

(J) to Sutphin Blvd.

Hey... do the Rockaway!

Archived