New Tiles at 96th Street, Seventh Avenue

yearsnowlost

I've been wondering for quite some time when they would finally finish the tiling at 96th Street, and I am happy to see that it was in progress today. This is the kind of tiling they should have done at the new South Ferry Station.

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

At first glance, it appears that the tiling is black but it is brown. I like the details on the inside of the (9) and (6). It's a nice touch.

IMG_0171.jpg

It is much, much nicer than the faux-IND "refrigerator" tile. It looks like a modern update on the historical tile, and I think it will look good when all of the older tile is covered. I wonder if they are going to re-tile the new concrete wall on the NB local platform.

It is much, much nicer than the faux-IND "refrigerator" tile. It looks like a modern update on the historical tile, and I think it will look good when all of the older tile is covered. I wonder if they are going to re-tile the new concrete wall on the NB local platform.

I totally agree! The new tile looks great! I hate that 1970's tile!

hunts points avenue , 3rd avenue 138 street ,

Cypress Avenue , 68 street ,

east 143 street st mary could use some new wall tiles.

right now that station look like it have been reefed

or be barged. pelham line of (6) .station need to get rehab

or rebuilded.

Was the incessant (2)(3) local in Manhattan weekend G.O. last year due to this?

About how much of the wall is currently done being tiled?

These G.O.s have been annoying, and it is glad to see the hassle paid off.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.0.6) Gecko/2009011913 Firefox/3.0.6 GTB5 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

Absolutely pleased with this new work. I was worried that we would get a remake of the refrigerator tile, but this is MUCH, much better. Makes me believe that when stations are re-done, they're not afraid to put in new mosaic tiles (I.E. when 86th St & 79th St come calling). But, about South Ferry, I guess the MTA wanted to go with the most modern theme they thought they could do...

Was the incessant (2)(3) local in Manhattan weekend G.O. last year due to this?

About how much of the wall is currently done being tiled?

These G.O.s have been annoying, and it is glad to see the hassle paid off.

They had the (1) running express this weekend from 72nd St. to 96th. There were work trains at 86th St. NB, and the construction guys were busy as bees tiling away.

The tile covered all of the (geographically South) lower half of the NB side wall, save for the niches. They are still working on the new rooms they're building on the NB local side platform.

The SB side has white tiles, but they haven't put the decorative touches and the (9)(6)'s in yet. There will probably be a G.O with South Ferry-bound (1)'s running express from 96th to 72nd one of these upcoming weekends.

Archived