Can the (MTA) send more cars to SIR?

B41

Thanks. I was just wondering if (SIR) would get at least something new since its used nothing but R44s since 1971.

It will be R179s. Nothing else is slated for it. There's very little variety on the SIR. It used to use Standards (modified versions), then R44s. I think they used diesels between Standards and R44s.

• 1 month later...
I don't really want the R-179's... Let the R-160's go there in a Option Order Form like R-160 C or R-160 M which is like a FRA Compliant R-160. maybe just entend it a little to 75-foot...

At this point that would cost a ridiculous amount of money. Are you aware of the differences between an R44 and an "R44SI"? Didn't think so.

IIRC that plan is long dead.

I wouldent say its 2 dead, its still very much so in the wrks, as time has gone on sir has slowly become a member of the nyc subway, my friend a T/o on tha sir said that the new maps going in place over the next few weeks(which will also show the new south ferry and ADA chambers street) will show SIR in its dark blue circle just like other lines show on maps, and i think its very possible that as time goes on the whole frieght railway thing will end cause honestly there hasent been a frieght run on those tracks in years, SIR deserves to be a part of the subway cause it is in all eyes here on Staten island a subway line. R160s i dont think will happen but these 179s we ll see but tha 44s gotta go there no good nomore. but sumthing tells me by the time tha 179s come modifications wont be needed

Nothing could make sense to some people, :facepalm:. It could be a lot like a Modified & Extended R-160 if you want more clear statement. It'll make more seats, on the other hand, how about just five car R-160 that meets FRA Standards run on the SIR?

I think what he's trying to say is, we're not getting any R160s for the SIR because the R44s aren't being retired yet.

• 1 month later...

Yup, unless the MTA decided to retrofit the entire line to make it operate like a subway of it's own, disowning the line from the FRA's standards. The MTA has always had provisions for service from the outer boroughs go to SI in some possible way anyway.

Yup, unless the MTA decided to retrofit the entire line to make it operate like a subway of it's own, disowning the line from the FRA's standards. The MTA has always had provisions for service from the outer boroughs go to SI in some possible way anyway.

That makes sense, then SI may finally some newer trains, hopefully R160s, but I know it won't happen.

That makes sense, then SI may finally some newer trains, hopefully R160s, but I know it won't happen.

There needs to be the funding for that kind of upgrade. You have to procure for new signalling as well. The SIR runs at 30 minute intervals for most of the day, 15 minute intervals at its best. It's well justified.

In order for SI to have a system of its own, it must first have adequate development. If the island is not justified and you run a bunch of lines there and it doesn't spur development, what's the point?

Archived