Can the (MTA) send more cars to SIR?

B41

There needs to be the funding for that kind of upgrade. You have to procure for new signalling as well. The SIR runs at 30 minute intervals for most of the day, 15 minute intervals at its best. It's well justified.

In order for SI to have a system of its own, it must first have adequate development. If the island is not justified and you run a bunch of lines there and it doesn't spur development, what's the point?

I see where you're coming from. I guess they should put some funding to Staten Island so we can get those upgrades.

Well, there are plans for reopening the North Shore Branch to passenger service again within the next decade. Also, the Dyre Avenue Line that the (5) train runs on (formerly NYW&:P, as well as the Rockaway line the (A) runs on (formerly LIRR) were converted from the FRA's standards to subway standards. So it's possible that the SIR can undergo this change whenever ready.

No No No those Staten Island cars <R>the only thing not touched and it's (A)good thing who really wants to see a R160 i know they would have to be modified but if anything the only cars that line would look good in would have to be Modified R68a 5000 series cars right???(K)<R>

I see where you're coming from. I guess they should put some funding to Staten Island so we can get those upgrades.

Well actually, again, SI is a smaller market compared to the other boroughs. It gets way less attention. I do understand that your a Staten Islander and of course the Island needs better funding, but I doubt it could happen.

What you should do is, start petitions for better transport in the area. Send that to the TA, the City and the State. I doubt they would do anything, but at least it does spark attention.

Well actually, again, SI is a smaller market compared to the other boroughs. It gets way less attention. I do understand that your a Staten Islander and of course the Island needs better funding, but I doubt it could happen.

What you should do is, start petitions for better transport in the area. Send that to the TA, the City and the State. I doubt they would do anything, but at least it does spark attention.

Thanks for understanding. Those are good ideas. I have tried to get their attention, but it didn't work and you are right about SI getting less attention.

I just heard from a friend (who works for a builder) that (MTA) is not going to use any more subway fleet modified or otherwise on SIR, and that a new 3rd rail type will be used on the current line, and on future lines, a type that he says is more reliable and better suited to the needs of the SIR.

He has not been unreliable before, but i am hesitant to believe this. Perhaps he doesn't have all the information on the situation, or misunderstood info he saw or something?

Normally i don't bring information i've heard from people into speculative situations, because usually they involve security issues of some kind, or legality of information sharing. Since there's no security or legal issues involved i felt i should add this, even if it turns out to be nothing.

- A

They should use other fleet because those R179s will not come for years.

I think what my friend found out, was that (MTA) was seeing who could design a replacement for the current pax fleet. If they don't find a satisfactory design, i think they will utilize an existing design, but modified from the factory vs after market mod. Seeing as the M8's are coming soon, i would not be shocked if (MTA) used a 2 car M8 top contact dinky layout.

- A

I think what my friend found out, was that (MTA) was seeing who could design a replacement for the current pax fleet. If they don't find a satisfactory design, i think they will utilize an existing design, but modified from the factory vs after market mod. Seeing as the M8's are coming soon, i would not be shocked if (MTA) used a 2 car M8 top contact dinky layout.

- A

I only hope that the MTA keeps the SIR as it is, because to modify the system would be stupid because it could crush any chances of connecting it to the rest of the subway system, that is,if they choose to do so.

I only hope that the MTA keeps the SIR as it is, because to modify the system would be stupid because it could crush any chances of connecting it to the rest of the subway system, that is,if they choose to do so.

The SIR is first and foremost a railroad. It is not subway. They wouldn't need to change anything on the system for top contact M8 cars to run on it.

- A

The SIR is first and foremost a railroad. It is not subway.

Very true. Even with all the waivers it operates under, the FRA has the final say. The R44 had to be significantly modified in order to appease the FRA.

That said, I don't think they would opt for commuter cars. Dwell time is increased in a two-door car as opposed to a four-door car.

Very true. Even with all the waivers it operates under, the FRA has the final say. The R44 had to be significantly modified in order to appease the FRA.

That said, I don't think they would opt for commuter cars. Dwell time is increased in a two-door car as opposed to a four-door car.

Curses to the FRA! :mad:

There is talk of even adding light rail service to Staten Island between Bayonne and SI. But if the MTA got the necessary funds to revamp the line to subway specs then they're in the money to send subway service from the outer boroughs to here. If everyone did sign a petition, then the MTA would do something for sure becuase without the passengers, then everyone is basically out of a job. The express buses barely save any time between SI and Manhattan becuase traffic on the Gowanus in Brooklyn is constantly backed up!

• 2 months later...
One reason why I hope the (MTA) sends other cars to SI is because the R44s will soon be phasing out. 436 was recently scrapped due to graffiti.

Interesting, I never knew that cars get scrapped because of graffiti.

Are you sure? Outside of St. George I've never huge crowds boarding and getting off SIR trains.

Archived