The 1st shoe has dropped. NYC subway weekend service cut on almost every line.

Shortline Bus

Well some bad news. The first service cut is offically a reality. Even if the state bails out the MTA starting in June, weekend subway service cuts will occur on almost every line. Here NY Daily News article.

MTA to cut weekend subway service - even if there is state bailout

By Pete Donohue

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Tuesday, February 24 2009

People wait for a train on a crowded platform in Times Square subway station on a Friday or Saturday Night. Now they may have to wait longer for their trains.

The MTA will cut weekend subway service even if it gets a state bailout, officials said Monday.

And, for the first time in six years, the number of weekday riders dropped 2% in January, suggesting job losses have begun to thin the throngs of straphangers riding the rails.

Real estate tax revenues this year are $75 million below already scaled-back budget expectations, Metropolitan Transportation Authority officials said.

If the pattern continues through December, the MTA faces a $651 million budget gap - even if whopping fare hikes and other severe measures go into effect later this year.

"They've been horrible," MTA Chief Financial Officer Gary Dellaverson said of recent real estate tax revenues at one of a series of committee meetings.

MTA board members today will again lobby state legislators to pass a bailout package crafted by former MTA Chairman Richard Ravitch. The bailout plan includes imposing tolls on the now-free East River bridges and creating an employer-paid payroll tax.

Authority officials previously said the bailout would raise enough money to cancel most, if not all, service cuts in the adopted 2009 budget.

NYC Transit, the bus and subway division, revealed Monday that gaps between weekend trains on 10 lines will increase from eight minutes or nine minutes to 10 minutes this June - bailout or no bailout.

Some 2 million riders use the affected lines: the A, D, E, F, G, J, M, N, Q and R. The agency says that will save $4.4 million a year.

NYC Transit President Howard Roberts tried to downplay the weekend cuts. He said the adjustment wasn't triggered by the need to save money but mainly to better manage train traffic through the maze of construction.

"This is something we would have done anyway," he said.

Andrew Albert, a nonvoting MTA board member, scoffed at that notion and blasted the change. "This is a major service cut for folks," Albert said. "I think this is a terrible, terrible move."

NYC Transit said on four lines the 10-minute schedule, if adhered to, would be an improvement to what riders now see because of construction-related woes. Also, the C train, now regularly suspended on weekends, would be able to run.

c)2009 NY Daily News, Inc.

Any reactions?

Somehow, it seems that saving (only) 4.4 million dollars a year doing this is not really notable, considering the anticipated (and what will probably wind up as quite low) deficit figure of 651 million dollars.

But on the other hand, it's true that it could be much worse. Giving up a minute is something that I think most people can deal with, considering one of the many more dismal alternatives. The real issue is whether those trains that are affected will be on time and/or available considering the always-present G.O's on those particular lines.

Somehow, it seems that saving (only) 4.4 million dollars a year doing this is not really notable, considering the anticipated (and what will probably wind up as quite low) deficit figure of 651 million dollars.

But on the other hand, it's true that it could be much worse. Giving up a minute is something that I think most people can deal with, considering one of the many more dismal alternatives. The real issue is whether those trains that are affected will be on time and/or available considering the always-present G.O's on those particular lines.

Agreed.

Well the good news is your wkday service will be the same the (W)(Z) will still be running and the (G) (ON PAPER) will run to 71 AV after 8PM and on wkends when ever that really happens.Lol

The weekend service cuts to 10 Minutes isn't a big deal because with all the constuction projects trains on the BMT/IND really run every 10 to 12 Minutes anyway on supplement schedules. I don't remember the last time I worked my jobs on the wkends the way I picked it.

You're able to rely on the mass transit during weekends? Lucky man!

Even though service is more sparse on weekends, (NJT) and :septa: have yet to let me down, but with cuts in the subway frequency, i'll no longer be able to count on making my train home on time.

Makes everything revolve around getting to the station i'm taking home on time vs spending time with my woman.:tdown:

- A

Well the good news is your wkday service will be the same the (W)(Z) will still be running and the (G) (ON PAPER) will run to 71 AV after 8PM and on wkends when ever that really happens.Lol

The weekend service cuts to 10 Minutes isn't a big deal because with all the constuction projects trains on the BMT/IND really run every 10 to 12 Minutes anyway on supplement schedules. I don't remember the last time I worked my jobs on the wkends the way I picked it.

So its safe to say, so far the (W) & (Z) will stick around? Any word on Bay Parkway (M) Service?

Yes (M) service to Bay Parkway is also safe. Everything on Wkdays is safe until Dec 09 unless they change there minds and cancel our pick and redo everything.

on December 9 there is going to be service cuts or what?

Even though service is more sparse on weekends, (NJT) and :septa: have yet to let me down, but with cuts in the subway frequency, i'll no longer be able to count on making my train home on time.

Makes everything revolve around getting to the station i'm taking home on time vs spending time with my woman.:tdown:

- A

then take the bus.:tup:

the (G) (ON PAPER) will run to 71 AV after 8PM and on wkends when ever that really happens.

So why is the (G) being cut back to Court Square all times still?

when will the (MTA) ever put 10 cars back on the (G)?

(I know it was 8 or 6 cars before)

I asked because I'm tired of running to the (G) to catch the train and the (G) train needs more cars back and at least 10 cars.

IAWTP. I can deal with a long wait. I can't deal with a train replaced by a shuttle bus.

Archived