So.. why ARE the R68's slow?

duelingdragons

The R68 isn't slow. It just feels slow since it's heavy. However, if you use the stations as a frame of reference then you'll discover that the R68's are as fast as the R40's.

Not necessarily. Yes, all subway cars are designed to have an initial acceleration of 2.5 mphps but all things being equal (no dead motors or motors dropping out), some cars maintain their acceleration better than others as they pick up speed, at which point acceleration levels off and decreases gradually to zero by 45 MPH (on level track). The R-68 does not maintain its acceleration rate as well compared to other cars.

Watch an R-160 leave a level station at the same time as any other car and you will see what I'm talking about. The R-160 leaves anything in the dust, but it doesn't REALLY start to do so until it's going at least 10 MPH.

Really? is there proof of this?

And if thats true that would suck because they just finished fixing after 20 years!

Well, I dont really have any substantial proof, but I have seen work trains on the Manhattan Bridge when the (N) & (Q) go via Whitehall, near the Canal Street Portal, there was a cracked beam that was fixed in a fast rate.

For those people who perceives that the R46s are a lot faster than the R44s, the R46s have the worse suspension among the 75' cars.

Thats not why I thought so. Watching the train from outside, it pulls out of the station a lot faster. It always enters stations at high speed (outside perspective).

An R68/R68A car weighs 92,720 pounds each whereas an R160a/160B car weighs 85,200 lbs each.

8 car R68/68A train = 8 x 92,720lbs = 741,160 lbs.

10 car R160a/160b train = 10 x 85,200 = 852,000 lbs.

8 car R160a train = 8 x 85,200 = 681,600 lbs.

Oh wow so the R160A/B car trains are heavier than the R68/68As, if the trains have the same lengths.

That dosent make sense, at all. You cant add it up unless you stack 10 cars ON TOP of eachother. This dosent mean anything. Plus, The R68A is heavier than the R68. Second, 10 60ft cars vs. 8 75ft cars? The R68/R68A class are still heaver. How else can you explain the fact that the R68 are slower?

That dosent make sense, at all. You cant add it up unless you stack 10 cars ON TOP of eachother. This dosent mean anything. Plus, The R68A is heavier than the R68. Second, 10 60ft cars vs. 8 75ft cars? The R68/R68A class are still heaver. How else can you explain the fact that the R68 are slower?

i thought R68s are heavier than R68As. the R68s have more steel in their car bodies and based on my experience on the (:P line, R68As run a bit faster than R68s.

i agree with Brighton i love the R68-68A's too didnt realize they were so heavy, perhaps the MTA ought to go back to Budd to build their cars though ive seen 68's bringing the ruckus when the (Q) was express on the brighton line zipping by Avenue J as i stood there waiting on a (D)

Budd doesn't even exist anymore. If any American railcar builders existed, the (MTA) would likely buy from them.

Yes it does. What will move faster, a train with no one on it or a packed train? When prototypes for new trains do speed tests, they do an empty train test and then a "full train" test with weights. The point is, the heavier a car is then the slower it will be able to go. Therefore heavier trains cannot reach their top speeds as fast as lighter trains.

I can't believe this hasn't been said in this thread yet. ALL CARS ARE CAPABLE OF REACHING THE SAME TOP SPEED. If you think one car seems slower, it's the suspension system that makes you think you're going so slowly.

Budd doesn't even exist anymore. If any American railcar builders existed, the (MTA) would likely buy from them.

actually, iirc, the (MTA) wanted to purchase a car from a foreign company due to financial issues and cheap costs. Budd was still here when the R62s were being ordered from Kawasaki. it only went out of business after the (MTA) said "we do not want you anymore," leaving them without anyone to work for.

I can't believe this hasn't been said in this thread yet. ALL CARS ARE CAPABLE OF REACHING THE SAME TOP SPEED. If you think one car seems slower, it's the suspension system that makes you think you're going so slowly.

Exactly. The maximum operating speed for every car out there now is 55 mph. I am sure the hippos can reach the same velocity as a lighter train. They just accelerate slower than the other cars.

They run pretty fast on the Central Park West. I've seen R68s as well as R44s go beyond 55 mph quite a few times. This stretch is one of the longest on the IND. If the R68As were to be transferred to the A, they can definitely reach 55mph and beyond in the Cranberry St Tunnels and Fulton express.

They run pretty fast on the Central Park West. I've seen R68s as well as R44s go beyond 55 mph quite a few times. This stretch is one of the longest on the IND. If the R68As were to be transferred to the A, they can definitely reach 55mph and beyond in the Cranberry St Tunnels and Fulton express.

That is true, if the track is clear ahead, the D flies pretty well on the CPW. It slows a bit at 103rd (NB) though, due to grade changes.

The R68 isn't slow. It just feels slow since it's heavy. However, if you use the stations as a frame of reference then you'll discover that the R68's are as fast as the R40's.

Yes they are. MTA actually put out a memo to T/O's about those cars being slower due to their weight, and being the heaviest cars in the system....

An R68/R68A car weighs 92,720 pounds each whereas an R160a/160B car weighs 85,200 lbs each.

8 car R68/68A train = 8 x 92,720lbs = 741,160 lbs.

10 car R160a/160b train = 10 x 85,200 = 852,000 lbs.

8 car R160a train = 8 x 85,200 = 681,600 lbs.

Oh wow so the R160A/B car trains are heavier than the R68/68As, if the trains have the same lengths.

By your calculations, the R68 is the heavier car. Train wise then the R160 would lead. The R160 would still be faster since it is newer. Trust me newness counts. There are 40 motors on an R62/R62A train set ((7) line then 44 motors). The R142/R142A has only 28 motors. The A cars have 4 (all axles are powered), the B cars only 2 on the number 1 end. The number 2 end on B cars, is just a truck, wheels, shocks, air bags, etc, but no motors. Why does the R142/R142A leave just about all the R62/R62A in the dust. I asked a RCI. He said because the R62/R62A are just old..........

Archived