R142A 11 cars

Bracamonte

There are 11 cars, but the last cars are R62As. The roofs are different. The R62As have vents only, the R142As have blower fans on the top which interrupt the stripes more visibly from a distance.

There are no single R142/A cars. If the set is all R142, then it's 10 cars. That's no big deal. We all knew that they were testing on the (7) before in like 2003. If it's an R142A and an R62A, I highly doubt they're compatible. No big deal.

Those are most definitely R142As. The R62As and the farther R142As are the same distance away, no? And there's a clear difference in the roof styling.

I read somewhere that R142As are able to run in a 6 car set if so coupled. Of course there are none coupled into a 6 car set.

And the (MTA) does not recognize the R142S designation. All supposed R142S are R142A.

We got material on this when we went to school car. If they wanted they can add an extra B car, and get 6 car units. It's in the Kawasaki and Bombardier books on the R142 and R142A. It has to be done by car equipment though, due to the B cars being linked by link bars, not couplers..........

As for the R142S. no such thing exists. It's just the extra R142A's that were ordered. They say R142A in them, not R142S. 7LineFan (why would anyone be a fan of that heard of people line?) is correct on this........

7LineFan (why would anyone be a fan of that heard of people line?) is correct on this........

Hate the crowds, like the views and the RFW, and the fact that it was the last to run Redbirds. Not judging on how the cars are operated though, just from a passenger's viewpoint.

But let's get back to topic.

So if they do ever link them in 6 car sets where would the extra B car come from? Would they take an entire set OOS to get it? For this situation let's say that the R188s have never been announced.

Hate the crowds, like the views and the RFW, and the fact that it was the last to run Redbirds. Not judging on how the cars are operated though, just from a passenger's viewpoint.

But let's get back to topic.

So if they do ever link them in 6 car sets where would the extra B car come from? Would they take an entire set OOS to get it? For this situation let's say that the R188s have never been announced.

I know the single car ends to Queens are a fan favorite. For T/O's operating from those cars are a pain, due to how the air, and B2 system works from those single cars through the train. Have to take alot of straight air just to get the train to slow down.

As for the extra cars, they would just order more B cars. They have no extra trains to OOS anything........

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 3.4; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

When the R188 comes in, transit is gonna order some more R142A B cars, along with R188's so it can be 11 cars. As for the R142S, its nothing but the supplemental order of the R142A and the numbers are 7731-7810. They only run on the (4). So whoever uses the term "R142S" plesae know that its not an offical car designation.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 3.4; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

When the R188 comes in, transit is gonna order some more R142A B cars, along with R188's so it can be 11 cars. As for the R142S, its nothing but the supplemental order of the R142A and the numbers are 7731-7810. They only run on the (4). So whoever uses the term "R142S" plesae know that its not an offical car designation.

I use the R-142S term....I call it as I see it lol

Lolz and people are gonna call it R142S, but I can't complain cuz I call some R160's "R160 Siemens"

Agreed, the R142S term, like the R40M, is an unofficial car designation. You won't see it on documents.

First of all- That picture is of one of those test trains that has been mentioned earlier. 11 cars, All R142A.

Second of all, with regards to the R142S nomenclature. R142S, much like R32A and R40A are the actual contract number of a specific order. As these are all similar/identical to other orders, the actual contract number was never used. R142A, R32, and R40S/R40M have generally been used for these orders since delivery.

The R142As were broken up into an 11 car consist. 3 sets came over to the 7 line. 1 of the sets-they took off 1 car and placed it in the middle of 1 of the 5 car consists. IICR, the consist was as follows:

7711-7712-7713-7718-7714-7715-7691-7692-7693-7694-7695

A-B-B-B-B-A-A-B-B-B-A

The test failed thus leaving the R62As on the 7 Line and sending the R142As back to the 4 and 6.

The R142As were broken up into an 11 car consist. 3 sets came over to the 7 line. 1 of the sets-they took off 1 car and placed it in the middle of 1 of the 5 car consists. IICR, the consist was as follows:

7711-7712-7713-7718-7714-7715-7691-7692-7693-7694-7695

A-B-B-B-B-A-A-B-B-B-A

The test failed thus leaving the R62As on the 7 Line and sending the R142As back to the 4 and 6.

And why did the test fail?

as said before, there were sections of track where the third rail contact shoes couldn't make contact with the third rail, same thing with the R142's.

I suspect that this problem has been fixed in all the construction recently, and that they are just waiting now for the R188's.

as said before, there were sections of track where the third rail contact shoes couldn't make contact with the third rail, same thing with the R142's.

I suspect that this problem has been fixed in all the construction recently, and that they are just waiting now for the R188's.

Well since MTA personnel is full of rumors, and I'm an employee well here are 2 (one is most likely fact). 1st, is the (4) line has no more R62's. Those 2 went to the (3) line. 2nd, is by December, the (6) line will lose the R142As', and get the (7) lines R62As'. That line is suppose to be where the (7) line will get its NTT trains from (with additional B cars ordered). I haven't seen those those old-birds on the (4), so I suspect the 1st to be fact. We shall see........

The (6)<6> will be losing its R142As' to the (7)<7> line. Told a (6) line TSS, who rode with me this morning, how I been stuck on the (4) and (6) lines, and how I miss the R62As'. He said well in December, the (6)<6> will have the (7)<7> lines R62As', as the R142As' will be going to Main St, for CBTC on the (7)<7> line, so don't worry. He didn't realize, I hate the (6)<6> line, with its too slow of a timers (especially on the express)........

So got the word from a supervisor........

The (6)<6> will be losing its R142As' to the (7)<7> line. Told a (6) line TSS, who rode with me this morning, how I been stuck on the (4) and (6) lines, and how I miss the R62As'. He said well in December, the (6)<6> will have the (7)<7> lines R62As', as the R142As' will be going to Main St, for CBTC on the (7)<7> line, so don't worry. He didn't realize, I hate the (6)<6> line, with its too slow of a timers (especially on the express)........

See everyone... I told you so. The R188 project will not retire any R62A's from Flushing.

:cry:...why can't the (7)<7> get their own R-142A's.....they look better on the (6)<6>

Archived