Music

Guest Charles

Guest Charles

Hey guys...since it's the off topic lounge, might as well talk about something we can all relate too: music. Music is what keeps the world moving and it never stops, even in tough times like these. What does everyone here listen to? Favorite genres, artists, etc...feel free to discuss! It's going to be interesting to see the results.

Me, I listen to all sorts of music but I have a particular liking for 70s rock. I really like Led Zeppelin, but I also listen to other similar bands like Def Leppard. I like songs like Viva la Vida and I also listen to the occasional death metal song. However, my favorite artist all time would probably have to be Nas: his songs are incredible, and I can relate to his songs because I lived in Queensbridge for a short time when we first moved here!

Guest Charles
A 14 year old kid actually heard of Def Leppard lol. I thought for most of today's teens, Britney Spears, N Sync and Boyz II Men was considered 'oldies.':cool:

FYI. Charles Def Leppard is more an '80's band though they been around since 1978/79.

Some of the best music are from the 70s and 80s...some of today's music is just crap.

Some of the best music are from the 70s and 80s...some of today's music is just crap.

There's always been crap music. But yeah, some of my favorite music is from the 60s and 70s. What a time to have lived. But I am always sure that there will be good music, you just have to weed through all of the bad stuff to get what you want to hear.

I enjoy all types of music from all kinds of time periods. I grew up on the Doors, the Beatles and the Beach Boys, and I switched over to Iggy Pop, the Ramones and all of the punk stuff, Ska and now I'm listening to Modest Mouse, the Decemberists and the Dandy Warhols. But I love all of it, new and old. I love music from almost every genre (80's hair metal excluded). :D

60s/70s/ & 80s are all for me..

For Starters:

1960s: The Beatles, Frankie Valli, Tom Jones, Los Lobos, The Angels, Frank Sinatra, Dion & The Belmonts

1970s: Earth Wind & Fire, Barry White, Lionel Richie & The Commodores, The Tramps, Elton John

1980s: Soft Cell, Madonna, Human League, Bon Jovi, Bizarre Love Triangle, Cyndi Lauper

Zach

60s/70s/ & 80s are all for me..

For Starters:

1960s: The Beatles, Frankie Valli, Tom Jones, Los Lobos, The Angels, Frank Sinatra, Dion & The Belmonts

1970s: Earth Wind & Fire, Barry White, Lionel Richie & The Commodores, The Tramps, Elton John

1980s: Soft Cell, Madonna, Human League, Bon Jovi, Bizarre Love Triangle, Cyndi Lauper

Zach

Other than Madonna(i like couple of her songs but she too sexed crazed for me)some excellent choices Zach. here my selections by decade over last 40 years. Remember i was born long time ago in 1972. lol I know i will leave out some great performers out in my list but just touhing the surface for my picks in pop/rock music. I either go their cd's(albums)or downloaded several of their songs of these singers listed.

1960' s: Beatles, The Tempations, Four Tops, The Supremes, Rolling Stones, CSNY(Crosby Stills Nash & Young)

1970's Elton John, Bob Marley, The Eagles, The Dobbie Brothers, Chicago(their 1970's stuff was much better than their '80's songs IMO) Bee Gees, Earth Wind and Fire, Donna Summer, Lionek Ricthie & Commdores, David Bowie, Barry White, Stevie Wonder, Chic and Carlos Santana(liked mostly his 1970's stuff)

1980's Smooth Jazz Legend Grover Washington, Jr. here & also the 1970's. Also regarding Pop music, Gensis, Phil Collins(solo)Duran Duran, Bobby Brown & New Edition(loved him as a kid but not a fan of Mr. Brown as an adult) RUN DMC, Reggae Group Third World, Grandmaster Flash, Whoodoni, Human League, the Go-Go's, Debbie Gibson and Bon Jovi.

I would also add Micheal Jackson in 1980's too(like or not he a great performer but his accused charges of sexually molesting boys bothers me)

1990's: Black Crowes, LL Cool J, Mariah Carey (mostly her earlier pre-hip hop influenced songs) Janet Jackson, Celine Dion, Maxi Priest and TLC.

2000's Black Eyed Peas (couple of their songs) & Outkast. Have not followed current pop music in last 4-5 years now other than following on occasion "American Idol".

Just my takes and favorites.:cool:

Listen to almost anything, I'm not really picky. A sampling: Lupe, DMX, Jay-Z, Linkin Park, The Classic Crime, Nickelback, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Dave Matthews Band, Daughtry, Rod Stewart, Coldplay, Simon & Garfunkel, Beatles, Offspring, Pearl Jam, Vertical Horizon, 4 Strings, Ian Van Dahl, Matchbox 20, U2, Eminem, TI...

like I said almost anything...

Only thing in music i really hate is the hard core heavy metal and hard core Hip Hop Rap that promotes violence, ie discussing sucide or sexist anti-woman lyrics or songs that use racist slang like the "N" word.

I am not a fan of censorship or political correctness either but when i listen to music i want to be taken away from the problems of our current world.

I like mostly music from the 60's, 70's and 80's. Some artists that I listen to are The Beatles, The Beach Boys, Frankie Valli, Billy Joel, Barry White, Marvin Gaye, The Spinners, Styx, Peter Frampton, The Bee Gees, The Commodores, Chicago, Steve Winwood, Bruce Springsteen, Jackson Browne, Michael Jackson ans Stevie Wonder.

I like mostly music from the 60's, 70's and 80's. Some artists that I listen to are The Beatles, The Beach Boys, Frankie Valli, Billy Joel, Barry White, Marvin Gaye, The Spinners, Styx, Peter Frampton, The Bee Gees, The Commodores, Chicago, Steve Winwood, Bruce Springsteen, Jackson Browne, Michael Jackson ans Stevie Wonder.

great choices.

Chicago Winwood Journey and the spinners belong in the Rock Hall of Fame.

70's and 80's Rock, Classic Rock, Pop, R&B, and Soul with some good 90's "old school rap".

I'm talking about Elton John, Billy Joel, Luther Vandross, Teddy Pendergrass, Barry White, George Michael and Wham, Michael Jackson ( and Jackson 5), Janet Jackson, Paula Abdul, Madonna, Aerosmith, Survivor, Human League, Men Without Hats, Men at Work, Anita Baker, Toni Braxton, Bette Midler, etc........

Remember to dance safely. So do the safety dance (go to youtube and search safety dance).........

Over the past few months I have been listening to music a lot less, but I still do every afternoon before class. I am really into punk rock (it's not dead), some metal, and some older stuff too. I am a huge fan of Dead Kennedy's, The Misfits, Operation Ivy, and Rancid. On the whole other side of the music spectrum, when at BERA working in the shops, I don't mind when some of the older guys put on 1940's music. I do however hate rap and country. Other then that I don't mind other kinds of music.

Well it is music, eh?

I listen to the All American Rejects as well.

Nothing personal MTR just curious since i never met you so please relax.:P Just brought it up since you say you like Asian music and your profile lists your birth place as Hong Kong. Sorry if i am rude If that personal to you maybe dont say anything or list it.

I am happy to answer most personal questions about myself excpet my shoe size lol

Nothing personal MTR just curious since i never met you so please relax.:P Just brought it up since you say you like Asian music and your profile lists your birth place as Hong Kong. Sorry if i am rude If that personal to you maybe dont say anything or list it.

I am happy to answer most personal questions about myself excpet my shoe size lol

Sure thing, man. Don't we want a civilised forum, here?

Now let's get back on topic.......

I like all types my favorites 60,70, Early 80's,90's and today. I like R&B, pop, and some hip hop. I love Disco music. I like donna Summer, Barry white, Earth wind and fire, Bee Gees, beatles, Red hot chilly peppers, Pink , No doubt, R Kelly, TLC, Destonys child (wish they still were together). Doughtry, Trina, Luther Vandross.

Archived