Can 6 (or less) 75 Foot Cars run on the BMT Eastern Division In Service?

Maserati7200

Can you have lets say set of 6 R46 run on the (L)? The entire train won't be too long (it will be 450 feet when the standard 8 60 foot set is 480 feet) and certainly not too heavy considering The R160's, which are heavier, run on those lines.

:cool:

i believe the turn radius on several parts of the line are too small to fit 75 foot cars. and it would be more cost effective to expand to 600ft platforms than to mod for 75ft cars. same for the (J)(M)(Z) lines.

The (J)(Z) can't run 75 feet mistakes at all. The Crescent Street curve is to blame for that. They can operate on the (M). The (L) would probably be able to use them now that the Snickerer Avenue El is gone tho the Morgan Street maybe too extreme for 75 Footers.

sometimes I think that the wheels are scrapping against the tracks when that turn occurs...it feels as though its 2 sharp.

No. Loading gauge issues, particularly related to curves. 75 foot cars taking curves on opposite tracks at the same time would create fouling points due to the overhang of the car ends past the trucks.

This is the only reason they don't run them. The tunnel clearances are very tight,, would have to be taken at 10 mph or so, but add in another train & it doesn't work.

Platform gaps are less of an issue since most station platforms attempt to be straight along most of the length.

The 75 foot cars may be retired a lot earlier than their age determines due to the new 60 foot cars being delivered allowing much more flexibility in those areas without issue.

- A

Would any new 75 foot cars (R179s or others) have the forward/backward seats like the R44, R46, and R68's? I've always enjoyed them and I have hoped that they aren't going to die with the future retirement of the R68's.
Those seats are called transversed seats. There is a small chance that they might appear on the R179s, but are most likely going to be benches instead of bucket seats. Others say that the R179s are going to have long side benches for more standing room and to accomodate 5 doors. I personally only want transversed benches only, while leaving no side seats for standing room.

Would any new 75 foot cars (R179s or others) have the forward/backward seats like the R44, R46, and R68's? I've always enjoyed them and I have hoped that they aren't going to die with the future retirement of the R68's.

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't because the most recent orders (R142/A R143 R160A/;) don't have them. Remember, a car be 60 feet and have this seating arrangement, which shows that the (MTA) is abandoning that arrangement.

Actually all 60" cars in the past had them. That's why they were implemented on the R143s and the R160s. The R142s on the other hand had bench seats b/c bucket seats on the IRT created less seats than anticipated. Some people on the Q actually complained that the R160Bs had less seats than the R68As. Bucket seats worked on B division, but failed miserably on A division. Who knows, maybe the R179s might get bucket seats like those on the R110Bs. On the other hand transversed BENCHES might appear on the R179s as they did on the R110As without any problems.

But the R179 order is supposedly 75 feet (says so in the Capital plan)

I do not like to speculate about future car orders, but remember this topic only concerns the Eastern Division. 75 foot cars can still run everywhere else in the B division including B Div South, Queens, and ALL IND turf.

I do not like to speculate about future car orders, but remember this topic only concerns the Eastern Division. 75 foot cars can still run everywhere else in the B division including B Div South, Queens, and ALL IND turf.

This isn't speculation! The (MTA) capital plan says they will be 75 feet.

This isn't speculation! The (MTA) capital plan says they will be 75 feet.

The (MTA) capital plan is about as useful as a used sheet of Charmin. I'm about to enter my sixth decade and the (MTA) and it's forefathers have had capital plans that are really no more than "wish lists". The original Second Ave line, the IND Second system, and recently the Fulton St-Broadway Nassau Transit Center are examples that come to mind. The operative word is PLAN. These things get changed, modified, or completely dropped all the time so until you see an R179 or R188 on the road it's all just speculation on our part.

Archived