Does the Q44, Q53 and BX55 really need 'limited' service past 8pm Sundays?

Shortline Bus

A simple question. Does the B46, Q44, Q53 and BX55 really need limited stop express service past 8pm Sundays/Holidays? Right now those '3' lines have limited stop service that ends between 10pm-11pm on Sundays.

I raise that question as couple of weeks ago i was driving on the Whitestone Bridge around 9pm and '3 buses on the Q44(two-Bronx bound and one-Queens bound) on a nice but cold night had each at most 15-20 riders on each bus.

Notcied it railfanning on the Q53 on Sunday Night around 10pm coming back from Rockaway Park area to transfer to the (7)train at 74th/Roosevelt for ride home on Metro North at GCT. Northbound towards Woodside the Q53 ride had at most 15 riders. Also an Q11 was tarveling with the Q53 most of the way after Liberty Ave.

In era to save monies, would it be cheaper just to end limited stop buses citywide on Sundays at 8pm? Better than sereve cuts systemwide. Secondary routes like the Q20 would still end Sunday service at regular times at around 1130pm.

Monday-Saturday limited stop service on these formentioned lines would still end at their current hours.

What you guys think?

A simple question. Does the B46, Q44, Q53 and BX55 really need limited stop express service past 8pm Sundays/Holidays? Right now those '3' lines have limited stop service that ends between 10pm-11pm on Sundays.

I raise that question as couple of weeks ago i was driving on the Whitestone Bridge around 9pm and '3 buses on the Q44(two-Bronx bound and one-Queens bound) on a nice but cold night had each at most 15-20 riders on each bus.

Notcied it railfanning on the Q53 on Sunday Night around 10pm coming back from Rockaway Park area to transfer to the (7)train at 74th/Roosevelt for ride home on Metro North at GCT. Northbound towards Woodside the Q53 ride had at most 15 riders. Also an Q11 was tarveling with the Q53 most of the way after Liberty Ave.

In era to save monies, would it be cheaper just to end limited stop buses citywide on Sundays at 8pm? Better than sereve cuts systemwide. Secondary routes like the Q20 would still end Sunday service at regular times at around 1130pm.

Monday-Saturday limited stop service on these formentioned lines would still end at their current hours.

What you guys think?

The Q44 and Q53 really do need Limited Service. They do get packed very often even at 9pm. I believe the last Q53 is at 9:30 or 10PM and the last Q44 Limited is at 11:00PM.

The Bx55, I don't see what the point of that route is. Why don't they just extend the Bx15 and make that route Local and Limited?

The Q44 and Q53 really do need Limited Service. They do get packed very often even at 9pm. I believe the last Q53 is at 9:30 or 10PM and the last Q44 Limited is at 11:00PM.

The Bx55, I don't see what the point of that route is. Why don't they just extend the Bx15 and make that route Local and Limited?

Bx55 was made to replace the 3rd Ave EL since it ended in 1973.

I wouldnt extend the Bx15 as it does go across 125th East to west which is long. Although maybe during the hrs the Bx55 doesnt run have the Bronx 15 extend, instead of having passengers transfer at Fordham plaza for the Bronx 41 for the rest of the stops to the Gun Hill (2)(5) station

Man if the SAS (T)(Q) was to ever extend to the bronx, I would prefer it run underground as the 3rd ave Line to Gun Hill rd or maybe Co-op city

I would argue yes on all three, and to that effect, the Q53 needs to be split with some runs running from Far Rockaway.

As for the Bx55, it should be renamed the 8 (and the Bx12 SBS renamed the 12---as rapid transit routes)

Actually the Q21 should be the one sent to/from Far Rockaway for Woodhaven bus service IMO. However some of the NIMBYS in Lindenwood and Howard Beach may get a heart attack if that happened.

I would argue yes on all three, and to that effect, the Q53 needs to be split with some runs running from Far Rockaway.

As for the Bx55, it should be renamed the 8 (and the Bx12 SBS renamed the 12---as rapid transit routes)

The 8? That would confuse people from the Bx8!

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

All I can say is the MTA do what they do for reason we may never understand! Things that we want to happen may never happen.

But as far as the Bx55 has Been around it was Never a local bus. It was always Limited from as far back as I can remember. It Replaced the 3rd Ave El which was the 8 train, but for them to change the Bx55 to the Bx8 would make no sense. Garentee you most of us on this site wasn't thought of or we was just babies when the 3rd ave El was around!

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

All I can say is the MTA do what they do for reason we may never understand! Things that we want to happen may never happen.

But as far as the Bx55 has Been around it was Never a local bus. It was always Limited from as far back as I can remember. It Replaced the 3rd Ave El which was the 8 train, but for them to change the Bx55 to the Bx8 would make no sense. Garentee you most of us on this site wasn't thought of or we was just babies when the 3rd ave El was around!

Ok i take back what i said about the BX55 and BX12 and both should run till 11pm 7 days a week like now. However can someone please tell me why should the Q44 and Q53 still needs limited service past 8pm Sundays?

Ok i take back what i said about the BX55 and BX12 and both should run till 11pm 7 days a week like now. However can someone please tell me why should the Q44 and Q53 still needs limited service past 8pm Sundays?
It's stupid to run it local when there's another local bus serving the same stops.

• 9 months later...

To this day the BX55 makes the stops the old 70(8) did on Third and Webster Avenues, including 210th Street-Williamsbridge and serves as a bus connector between the (2)/(5) at White Plains Road and the (2)/(5) at East 149th Street. Originally, when tokens (or change) were the fare mode, there were special booths for the BX55 at Third Avenue and East 149th Street in The Hub.

Now, though, the BX55 is "chopped" so that BX55 buses end/begin at Fordham Plaza weekends.

I have seen Q44's going over Whitestone bridge crush load at 10pm until 2:30 am

What you guys think?

Here you go again trying to cut service for those who need it. You drive, so enjoy your car. I drive, so I'll enjoy mine. But for those who aren't as fortunate, God forbid they get home just a little quicker.

Stop trying to get others to pay more for less service.:mad:

The Q44 needs the LTD service for the simple fact that there isn`t any subway lines that cross from the Bronx to Queens,also its a very lengthy line.It got me home quickly from the Bronx many late nights.To get to jamaica Queens from west farms,What would you do? Take the (2) all the way to times sq to catch the (E) or just take a Q44 LTD straight to Jamaica.Mind you this question pretains to a late sunday night.

The Q44 needs the LTD service for the simple fact that there isn`t any subway lines that cross from the Bronx to Queens,also its a very lengthy line.It got me home quickly from the Bronx many late nights.To get to jamaica Queens from west farms,What would you do? Take the (2) all the way to times sq to catch the (E) or just take a Q44 LTD straight to Jamaica.Mind you this question pretains to a late sunday night.

i agree the q44 is an essential line and there is not any subway service in its place but after 8pm on a sunday night ltd or local doesnt really matter i take the q44 late at night many times when it is local and make it from west farms to briarwood in 30 minutes so the difference between ltd and local in minimal as a matter fact in the middle of the day the q44 gets so crowded and the q20 is runnung empty and passes the q44.

i think the Q44 should run local after 8pm on sundays but maybe the Q20 should be cut back to run from college point to main st only and with the Q53 i think that is a bus that should run LIMITED 24/7 with the long route it has
Agreed the Q53 is a very long route from Far Rockaway to Woodside

Didn't the LTD 55 go to Gun Hill Road at all times except nights at one point?

I think it did a few years ago...

Now as for the Q53 and Bx55, those are what you call "inter-borough" Limiteds. Its like an upgrade from a limited, but a downgrade from an express. There's one in each borough (ie. M98, S89, & B103) and none are locals.they do have local buses to compliment them (Bx55 & Bx15, Q53 & Q11/21), but its there as an alternative for local service.

Now with the Q53, I've seen it crowded no matter what time of night it is so it would make sense to keep it running. The Q44 I'm not so sure of but there is 2 buses for local service in the daytime and 1 on weekends. But I think the Q44 should stay the same.

FYI guys. Between appx. 1030pm-5am(630am Sundays)the Q44 does run local along Main St while the Q20 does not run at all between 1-5am.

• 6 months later...

For the (Bx55) Bx55, not any longer. Since June 27th, the last (Bx55) from Williamsbridge is 7:11pm arriving in The Hub at 7:51pm and from Fordham Plaza 7:44pm arriving at 8:07pm.

The last (Bx55) bus from The Hub is 6:10pm arriving in Williamsbridge at 6:53pm and from The Hub at 8:19pm arriving at Fordham Plaza at 8:44pm.

With Williamsbridge service approximately 7am to 7pm within this, most buses alternate between Gun Hill Road and Fordham Plaza.

Still, the (Bx55) does what it has since April 29, 1973 - make the stops of the old 70(8). Its' map color is even the same. Light Blue.

Q53 makes its' final run to Rockaway Park at around Midnight Sunday through Saturday.

Archived