Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
metsfan

Abandoned lines turned into light rail?

What to do with disused ROW?  

1. 1. What to do with disused ROW?

• Light rail, akin to HBLR.
    • Street car.
    • Trackless articulated trolly.
    • Main line light rail.
    • Put restored equipment on & use partly for transit partly for education.
    • Other (explain).

After all is said and done, lines re-activated etc, should still abandoned lines, such as the CRRNJ line near elizabeth, nj be turned into a local people mover, light rail, or other system to allow the old ROW to be maintained as a ROW, but without the need for full main line passenger equipment?

Some ideas could include AirTrain type ground level monorail/tram, or main line light rail trains such as the ones used in major cities in europe, automated electric trackless trolly, and streetcar.

What do you think?

- A

I'll bite.

Other, start it out as a light rail and if traffic grows enough convert to mainline heavy rail. To do this I propose using heavy rail from the outset along with electrification that is set high enough so that when the time comes you can convert it instantly.

Just my $.02

I'll bite.

Other, start it out as a light rail and if traffic grows enough convert to mainline heavy rail. To do this I propose using heavy rail from the outset along with electrification that is set high enough so that when the time comes you can convert it instantly.

Just my $.02

Sounds like a great plan.

- A