Abandoned lines turned into light rail?

metsfan

What to do with disused ROW?  

1. 1. What to do with disused ROW?

• Light rail, akin to HBLR.
    • Street car.
    • Trackless articulated trolly.
    • Main line light rail.
    • Put restored equipment on & use partly for transit partly for education.
    • Other (explain).

After all is said and done, lines re-activated etc, should still abandoned lines, such as the CRRNJ line near elizabeth, nj be turned into a local people mover, light rail, or other system to allow the old ROW to be maintained as a ROW, but without the need for full main line passenger equipment?

Some ideas could include AirTrain type ground level monorail/tram, or main line light rail trains such as the ones used in major cities in europe, automated electric trackless trolly, and streetcar.

What do you think?

- A

I'll bite.

Other, start it out as a light rail and if traffic grows enough convert to mainline heavy rail. To do this I propose using heavy rail from the outset along with electrification that is set high enough so that when the time comes you can convert it instantly.

Just my $.02

I'll bite.

Other, start it out as a light rail and if traffic grows enough convert to mainline heavy rail. To do this I propose using heavy rail from the outset along with electrification that is set high enough so that when the time comes you can convert it instantly.

Just my $.02

Sounds like a great plan.

- A

Archived