Chambers & Canal.

metsfan

They should've welded the rails instead of bolting to reduce the noise. I still don't get the purpose of sinking the wooden ties into the concrete slabs. They should just bolt the rails onto the concrete slabs to increase speed like what they do in the German ICE tunnels.

They should've welded the rails instead of bolting to reduce the noise. I still don't get the purpose of sinking the wooden ties into the concrete slabs. They should just bolt the rails onto the concrete slabs to increase speed like what they do in the German ICE tunnels.

Because this was a weekend track overhaul, not an infrastructure replacement. ICE is not a subway. The trackbed is not sturdy enough to bolt the rails into, you'd have to totally tear it up & replace it with a whole new tunnel bottom. The subway's rail system can't even fit CWR in the tunnel. They simply have track in manageable sized sections.

I'm sure one day it could get CWR, but not anytime soon.

- A

Great photos! The work they are doing at Canal is a replacement of the tower. Right now they have a temp. tower on the mezz. Also the first photo showing the rail bolted together is an insulated joint, even in areas where there is welded rail, insulated joints are needed for the signal system to work, thats why it was painted red.

Archived