Man struck by train, dies on Staten Island Railway tracks

Trainspotter

A 65-year-old man died after being struck by a train at the Pleasant Plains station of the Staten Island Railway this morning.

The train operator said the unidentified man was already on the tracks as the train pulled into the station and was unable to stop, said James Anyansi, a spokesman for MTA New York City Transit.

Train service was disrupted between Prince's Bay and Tottenville between 6:44 and 7:25 a.m. Limited service has not resumed, Anyansi said.

Staten Island Advance

February 27, 2009

post-5-13328858027_thumb.jpg

post-5-13328858027_thumb.jpg

I suppose accident, why would an old guy kill himself?
Aye you never know, not every elderly person is the same, don't know what each one of them is going through or what they have been through.

It's sad to hear how often these transit related accidents are occuring lately. :P

Aye you never know, not every elderly person is the same, don't know what each one of them is going through or what they have been through.

B)

I can attest to the fact that older people kill themselves; often, older people feel helpless... and I could understand why they would be compelled to do that, because many of them feel helpless and like a burden... and they want to "erase" themselves, to ease themselves or their families.

It's kind of sad, because I've noticed from historical accounts that there are many more suicides or suspected suicides that emerge when an economy goes under. It is some ways a predictable thing though; and this is an interesting thing to observe, though also tragic.

Just awful, regardless of the situation that lead the guy to be on the tracks. And a horrible thing for the T/O. A friend of mine used to be a T/O for CSX and he'd had more than one person be in the way of his train. He said the worst part of it all is the helplessness and hoping that something will happen at the last second that will get them out of the train's way.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm not sure the cause of his death was because of suicide....anyways, I feel bad for the victim, but there really isn't anyone to blame in this situation.

I can find someone to blame, the person who was killed.. As a Engineer you dont like being involved in something like this, its takes alot out of you.I've never been involved in one but I came close to getting someone. The feeling is so damn nerve recking because your heart is beating so fast, you start to say words you dont normally say and it looks like its happening in slow motion. This is just a sellfish way to go out, because youre not happy with your life, you want to involve others! There is no reason why anyone should trespass on railroad property.

• 4 months later...

Archived