Island Transit Projects Face Uncertainty

eli

NY1 VIDEO: One of the city's strategic long term planning initiatives is to provide transit options to new and emerging neighborhoods. But, while one project gets underway in Manhattan, another still sits dormant on Staten Island.

NY 1

I have a feeling that all transit agencies will try to do as much as they can to get infrastructure projects where they need to be. The lessons of the fallen flags have shown what deferred maintenance and lack of progressional projects do. Neglect of proper operating goals is toxic. If a bridge needs new track, do it, etc etc. So, i'm not too worried. It's not like they stopped the (7) extension or (Q)/(T) SAS....

- A

Well compared to the THE tunnel or the ESA or the SAS, the SI projects are not as important as the aforementioned ones. The FTA would spend the dollars on those big money projects rather than the small potatoes.

Maybe after the economy recovers.

well, yea, that's what i'm saying, they are doing as much as possible. I wonder if any prep work has been done/is being done.......

- A

Well, I think that Staten Island North Shore really needs a line since that area is really mostly busses and busses is less green than train... The SIR North Shore is a vital componet to the SIR...

SAS and ESA are although more important but the SIR is as important as the (7) extension...

Well it depends, IMO, a transit line in SI is more important than that one stop.

• 1 month later...

The North Shore definitely needs a new transit system! If only 60 years ago they knew about the over-population of the island... maybe they would have never shut down the North Shore line to begin with and possibly have created plans to expand service to the middle of the island as well. In my opinion, the North Shore line would be invaluable to the people that live in the area.

Its funny because I grew up only a couple of blocks from the Kill Van Kull and the old North Shore line. My friends and I use to play along them when we were young. The project would take ALOT of work though. Some parts are completely washed out, with the tracks just hanging over as the tide comes in. Other parts go through (as far as I know) privately owned factories. And then there is the fairly new Ballpark area created near the Ferry which cuts off the original North Shore line with the Ballpark station. I think parking lots separate the old tracks with the newly made station. I would love to see them get it going again though, it would be great!

Yeah, must be more than one stop to bring back BallPark station and boost ridership and business income.

Well, I would personally like them to make the North Shore Line also curve onto Richmond Ave. so people can have better access to the Staten Island Mall. It would boost ridership and boost businesses on Staten Island, :(!

Ballpark Station really isn't needed, I mean, people from St George could walk along the promenade. It's just a 5 minute walk, it won't kill. That station, if opened everyday, won't bring much revitalisation near the area.

But, like what Livingston has said, the North Shore branch is certainly needed. That can take away several bus lines, reducing, you know, emissions.

Well, if the North Shore line is brought back BallPark would be open again. But, lets leave along BallPark for now.

Also, you are correct a Railway along North Shore would revitalize Northern Staten Island a lot. That area can have a railway since it is basically just empty grounds. Plus, you are also correct on the reduce of emission by implementing a Railway. Railways doesn't need gasoline and doesn't create smog. So a Railway is a Green-Way and Ideal-Way to bring Northern Staten Island to life

Because right now, St George is like all crowded up. A new railway line can free up some space at the bus terminal. Furthermore, fewer buses would be needed as this line can be implemented. Which corridor exactly, I am not quite sure. It can spur some degree of development in the area. The reason why I say some is, one railway line won't cause 50 skyscrapers to be built overnight.

Because right now, St George is like all crowded up. A new railway line can free up some space at the bus terminal. Furthermore, fewer buses would be needed as this line can be implemented. Which corridor exactly, I am not quite sure. It can spur some degree of development in the area. The reason why I say some is, one railway line won't cause 50 skyscrapers to be built overnight.

That is true, St. George would develop greatly. They are actually predicting the St. George area is suppose to take a huge economic boom in the next few decades. The area is suppose to lift itself up greatly. It is now a little bit. It would also prolly make Richmond Terrace a lot nicer, its all industry and a mess now, although they are trying to fix it by putting up new houses and such.

That is true, St. George would develop greatly. They are actually predicting the St. George area is suppose to take a huge economic boom in the next few decades. The area is suppose to lift itself up greatly. It is now a little bit. It would also prolly make Richmond Terrace a lot nicer, its all industry and a mess now, although they are trying to fix it by putting up new houses and such.

St George will grow, but it will take time. The nature of the main line SIR will change too.

True. Another SIR line should run from St. George to Arlington like it used to.

It will take time. First, we have to get out of this trouble. Then we get the big dollar projects done (like the SAS, EAS, the 7 Extension, Fulton work) and maintain the system. If there's money, engineering and the drafting of the EIS can begin for this work. It looks great, but it will take time.

Hey what about HBLR?

I heard they were trying to connect the HBLR with the North Shore SIR route. I don't know how it would work, but I think they were mentioning using the old liftbridge at the Gothel's Bridge. It could very well be a rumor though.

Although I am pretty sure they were definitely considering Light Rail for the North Shore route. Ill have to find the article I read it on.

I heard they were trying to connect the HBLR with the North Shore SIR route. I don't know how it would work, but I think they were mentioning using the old liftbridge at the Gothel's Bridge. It could very well be a rumor though.

Although I am pretty sure they were definitely considering Light Rail for the North Shore route. Ill have to find the article I read it on.

They are planning to put tracks on the Goethals Bridge. But it will certainly take time. When the economy revives, the government will look at spending money on mass transit to "further the growth of the economy".

Well, it is going to take a long time. Probably until SAS, EAS, 7-Extension and FTS is complete.

And for HBLR, it is an alternative but, I don't know if NJT would want to do that and I don't know if it is a good idea.

Why not, it's a good idea, plus they can make money off of it. They just need the money and time to study and invest into this thing.

Archived