Why is the (E) the only QBL line that doesn't use R46's?

TheMan

The (F), (G), (R), and (V) trains all use R46's, but the (E) has the dirty R40M/R42's. Does anyone know why this is?

The (F) and (R) uses R-40M/R-42 as well and the (E) have R40M/R-42 and R-160A-2's. The reason the (E) have R-40M/R-42 b/c they retired most of the R-32's and/or transfered them to Pitkin Yard which is on the (A) and (C) trains!

Will the (E) get R46's when:

The (F) gets some R160's?

The R32, 38, 40, & 42 retire?

The (G) starts to get its trains from CI?

Sorry no R-46 will ever return on the (E)....hopefully by the summer time the (E) will be fully R-160A-2's and they will transfer the R-40M/R-42's to the (F) and (R) as put-ins!

The (F), (G), (R), and (V) trains all use R46's, but the (E) has the dirty R40M/R42's. Does anyone know why this is?

They were not dirty last time i was there (wednesday this past week).

They are replacements for the R32.

- A

Will the (E) get R46's when:

The (F) gets some R160's?

The R32, 38, 40, & 42 retire?

The (G) starts to get its trains from CI?

No. The (E) will always use 60-footers and not 75-footers with 4 doors per car since 60-footers have more doors. The (E) is a very crowded line and crowding is a big issue. Therefore they need all the doors that they can get.

The (E) currently runs 10 R160s out of 26 trains the line uses. The line will be all R160s by the end of the summer.

No. The (E) will always use 60-footers and not 75-footers with 4 doors per car since 60-footers have more doors. The (E) is a very crowded line and crowding is a big issue. Therefore they need all the doors that they can get.

The (E) currently runs 10 R160s out of 26 trains the line uses. The line will be all R160s by the end of the summer.

what the heck? couldnt at least some R160s go to the (F) for reamining R32's.

There are at least 2 10-car sets of R32's out of Jamaica and I saw both on the (E) yesterday. I saw an R46 on the (E) 2 weeks ago in between an R160 and an R42. It's a rare occurrence but it does happen

The one thing I have noticed is that the R160 (E)s tend to bunch, you can see 5 in a row all going in the same direction

Well, the (E) had run R-46 before 2000 and a short period in mid-late 2008 before the R-160's arrived in Service... That pix is the second time period I am talking about...

Not just those two time periods. Every so often the (E) uses R46s.

The E would be OK with R46 as off-hour trains, or occasional rush-hour trains. They had them almost exclusively on the E from 1980-1990, the dwell argument surfaced in 1990, didn't hear about it before then. I think 75 footers work well off hours and 60 footers better rush hours, however, since the E is not a long route, I don't think the 75 footer's advantage of more seats is necessary. I don't think the V needs 46s, a waste IMO. I like R44/R46/R68 on the A, F, D, Q, R and other lines where people have a better chance of getting a seat non-peak hours than they do on an R160, a car with fewer seats than the R40.

The A and F will likely run R179s, 75 footers, but will they have 5 doors per cars and parallel seats? Will they have more seats? If they have 5 doors per car, the E may get them as well.

...it could possibly be because they come from Jamaica Yard and if they need 'em on the 75'-incompatible (J) line in a rush... well, you can figure out the rest.

...it could possibly be because they come from Jamaica Yard and if they need 'em on the 75'-incompatible (J) line in a rush... well, you can figure out the rest.

The (J) is based out of East NY Yard, not Jamaica Yard. The (J) also runs 8 cars so even if they were based out of the same yard, the (J) would only have its own compatible fleet. There's no connection between the (E) and (J) at Jamaica Center either.

The (J) is based out of East NY Yard, not Jamaica Yard. The (J) also runs 8 cars so even if they were based out of the same yard, the (J) would only have its own compatible fleet. There's no connection between the (E) and (J) at Jamaica Center either.

Touché. I completely forgot about ENY YD for some reason.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 3.4; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Not only that there is no connection between the two, but they are in two different divisions. The (E) is in IND and the (J) is in BMT. They are on two different levels at Jamaica Center as well.

The R40M/42's that gets replaced by the R160's on the (E) will probably move over to retire those R32's on the (F).

Well my speculation tells me that, when more R160s come in, the Mods will go to 207th to replace the slants. Some of the R42s will follow suit. When the slants are gone, Jamaica should be R32, R46, R160. That said, the Mods will start retiring. The R42s will be going next. As this is happening, the Jamaica R32s will be pushed off to 207 to retire the Mods/R42s. So at the very end, Jamaica will be R46 and R160.

The fleet composition will be like this:

E- Exclusively R160

F- R160 and R46

G- R46

R- R46

V- R46

Archived