RIP R38s (1966-2009)

R44 5278

The last of the R38s had made their final runs this week. Indeed, they were the least faulty of the 60" SMEEs and featured some of the best rides. For all R38 fans, let us post our pictures and videos here in memory of their years. Also, please feel free share your experiences with the R38s:

p2200006y.th.jpg

*Please don't start flame wars

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats Just sad news. Although I did see a few R38 this week withe the 32s, i imagine if they were still in service.

Where did u get this info and is it the truth?

But of course its sad that they are (Or will be) died..

btw who would start a war for?

I was railfanning today and waited 2 hrs at 42nd St for an R38 to come by on the C. The A was all R32s and R44s and the C was all R32s. I then asked a conductor and he replied that "all R38s were headed up 207th." And so, I assumed the worse. The T/Os must hate the R38s a lot.

I was railfanning today and waited 2 hrs at 42nd St for an R38 to come by on the C. The A was all R32s and R44s and the C was all R32s. I then asked a conductor and he replied that "all R38s were headed up 207th." And so, I assumed the worse. The T/Os must hate the R38s a lot.

hmm i better head uo to 207 this week to get some shots, as this is bad news 0_0

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.1; en-us; dream) AppleWebKit/525.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0.4 Mobile Safari/523.12.2)

I didn't think they were this close to being completely gone. Are you sure

1)that the conductor knew what he was talking about, or was not generalizing? (Knowing they're getting ready to leave, and basically telling you not to hold your breath waiting for them)

2) That the ones remaing simply aren't sent out on the weekends anymore, and brought out for the busier weekday rush?

Actually that last part isn't quite true. A lot of the older T/O's I've talked to loved the R38's because they were smooth rides and if you got used to the braking the cars were among the better in the system, and probably ran the best of the old SMEEs. The only big downside to them I've heard of was the sometimes drafty cab and the half width size of the cab... However the roof/carbody issues meant they weren't long for this world.

It's true. They were mixed with R32's on the (C) this past wednesday.

So 40 cars divided by 8 is 5. So, 5 trains could easily be taken out without noticing. I think they are prolly all parked at 207 waiting for reefication.

- A

Sorry for going off topic, but you didn't see a single R40S on the (A)? ...

This is sad. I take the C almost every day and I have become accustomed to them. Personally, I like them, and I actually think they should stay in service while the R32s are put out. Are you sure they're gonna retire?

I'm really surprised the R38s stayed around this long....their age was really starting to show. The R32s seemed to be in better condition in my overall opinion. I'm sad to see them go so soon myself. But yeah when I think (C) train I usually picture the R38s/R32s. This subway system is gonna be weird when all the old trains retire.

I think the slants only come out during the week. I saw a few last week during the evening rush hour on the A.

I saw them on valentine's day (a saturday). They always seem to be going the other way that i'm headed.

The video in the thread "chambers & canal" was taken right after a slant set went by on the brooklyn bound (A) tracks. The area there is too dark and far into the tunnel area to really get good photos, so i didn't even bother. I was on my way to times sq.

- A

Archived