RIP R38s (1966-2009)

R44 5278

Well since there are 26, the number will go down pretty quickly, soon. MAYBE, they will all be gone by the 14th of this month.

Well ok, but the T/A needs to find another set of cars to replace them besides the 32s, seeing that the (C) would be limited in cars i guess? I would put back the 40M/42s but with out the moving of the C/R boards..

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On Tuesday I saw 6 R-38s: 4147-4146-4137-4136 in the middle of a consist with R-32s on the C, and 4077-4076 at the end of another R-32 consist on the C. It turns out that life after death exists after all for those resilient R-38

cars. Structurally and mechanically they are near dead, but they are still #1 on my list.:tup:;)(A)(C)(E)(K)(JFK)

On Tuesday I saw 6 R-38s: 4147-4146-4137-4136 in the middle of a consist with R-32s on the C, and 4077-4076 at the end of another R-32 consist on the C. It turns out that life after death exists after all for those resilient R-38

cars. Structurally and mechanically they are near dead, but they are still #1 on my list.:tup:;)(A)(C)(E)(K)(JFK)

I think those are the same ones I saw yesterday

Well ok, but the T/A needs to find another set of cars to replace them besides the 32s, seeing that the (C) would be limited in cars i guess? I would put back the 40M/42s but with out the moving of the C/R boards..

Based on what I have seen and heard, this is what I am assuming will happen:

The R38s will definitely go first

The slants will go after them, but this does not really affect the C, much.

The mods are to follow. So what this means is that the Mods from Jamaica will move to the A. Essentially replacing the slants there. So from my view, it seems that the Mods will go from Jamaica to Pitkin/207, followed by the R42s. They will be displaced by incoming R160s.

These will all go to the A. The C will still use R32s. In fact, from my perspective it seems that the A will relinquish the R32s to run the Mods and R42s (and R44s, as usual) until their retirement. This is because the C has to be 8 cars.

Once the Mods and the R42s are all gone, the main focus is the R32. Perhaps, we will need to focus on what will be running on those 2 lines then.

did they ever run on any lines other than the (A)(C)(H)

Long ago before the GOH, yes. Namely, the (:(, (D), (E), (F), (G) or (G)(G), (N) & The Franklin & Rockaway Park (S), These cars were widespread among the system so almost every IND/BMT Route had them

Car: 4071/4070 still active saw it at 135th at 3:45PM SB on (C)

Car: 4140/4141 still active saw it at 125th at 4:00PM SB on (A)

ill keep you guys posted, not that these cars are coupled to the R32s, not by itself..

If anyone watched Saturday Night Fever, the R38s were the first trains shown in the beginning scene when they used to dominate the B train back in the 70s. I just love looking at how they outshined(not in the movie) the R32s back in the 60s!

If anyone watched Saturday Night Fever, the R38s were the first trains shown in the beginning scene when they used to dominate the B train back in the 70s. I just love looking at how they outshined(not in the movie) the R32s back in the 60s!

and dont forget in the movie ghost when swayze and the ghost guy were talking...a GO R38 rolled by...fresh (1990)

Car: 4071/4070 still active saw it at 135th at 3:45PM SB on (C)

Car: 4140/4141 still active saw it at 125th at 4:00PM SB on (A)

ill keep you guys posted, not that these cars are coupled to the R32s, not by itself..

Great!

I will get a report from WideCab5 soon regarding retirements and deliveries. I will share this report with you guys!

The close cousin to my favorite subway car, the R32, is almost gone. They were great in their prime. I remember I couldn't tell the R32's from the R38's until I was about 19 years old. I will miss them dearly, it like losing a close cousin. Take Care R38's!

The close cousin to my favorite subway car, the R32, is almost gone. They were great in their prime. I remember I couldn't tell the R32's from the R38's until I was about 19 years old. I will miss them dearly, it like losing a close cousin. Take Care R38's!

Not dead yet!

Archived