RIP R38s (1966-2009)

R44 5278

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Something in me tells me that their death date is 13 March 2009.

1. The number of cars

2. The fact that the C does not run on weekends

3. Black Friday...

makes sense. since they are only eight cars left, i think they are going to have all eight of them run together for one final trip on the (C) line either this friday or monday. So long R38s, the first official casualty of the R160s.

Update by me:

Caught a 8 Set R32 coupled to 2 R38 at the end of a 207th bound (A) at 34th, numbered: 4120 4121

and 4140 4141 on the (C) yesterday!

The last of the R38 (2-3 sets)cars.they'll likely be gone next week.

R38s at Concourse? I haven't heard that in a while...

As I've said before, Revenue inactive waiting for the barge...

Phase II R32's were up there all summer till their number came up in the "lottery" and it was off to the great depths...

now that the R38 is pretty much gone, which one should go next? i say the R42 or the R32, the R40S is too unique to scrap first...:(

I'd say the R42's and the R40M's first, then the R40 slants then the R32's. The latter are still kinda good, but its time for them to go.

At the moment, EVERYTHING is going. Theyre ditching the worst cars in the whole fleet first. Not just R38s and R32-P2s. A few slants, Mods, R42MKs, R32-P1s are all being removed from service.

However, once things settle down, latest word is that the slants will be the fleet being retired.

I'd say the R42's and the R40M's first, then the R40 slants then the R32's. The latter are still kinda good, but its time for them to go.

At the moment, EVERYTHING is going. Theyre ditching the worst cars in the whole fleet first. Not just R38s and R32-P2s. A few slants, Mods, R42MKs, R32-P1s are all being removed from service.

However, once things settle down, latest word is that the slants will be the fleet being retired.

i agree with freshponddepot. R42s are in the worst condition possible and most commuters do not seem very pleased with them, not to mention they have the 2nd worst MDBF of 2007 right behind the R44s. but i think Art is right, 4 Phase I R32s, 20 MK R42s, and a few R40Ms were recently taken out of service and all R40 slants are going next, which upsets me a lot because i rank the slants better than the R38/40M/42s.

Archived