RIP R38s (1966-2009)

R44 5278

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, not only are they getting rid of the R38s but the cars that are deemed inoperable or failing to meet the standards. That's why they are getting the stickers. When a car gets this red diamond sticker, it's the symbol for damnation.

But other than that, the slants will go soon, followed by their modified counterparts and the R42s. I'm guessing that the R32s will linger for a while, but will be ultimately replaced next year.

I saw a set of R38's coupled in an R32 (C) train today. I'll post the video later.

Did that set happen to be 4140-4141? I saw it earlier around 2:30 PM arriving on the SB platform on 50th street. If it had arrived on my side of the platform I would have taken it for a last ride. :(

Well guys, I guess the R38 era is over. As for the thread, I'm looking forward to turn it into a reflection of our times with the R38s. I'm currently working on a slideshow with music in memory of the R38. If you can contribute any photos or videos, please feel free to post them and I will gladly incorporate/credit them into my slideshow! Thanks everyone!

Well guys, I guess the R38 era is over. As for the thread, I'm looking forward to turn it into a reflection of our times with the R38s. I'm currently working on a slideshow with music in memory of the R38. If you can contribute any photos or videos, please feel free to post them and I will gladly incorporate/credit them into my slideshow! Thanks everyone!

Dude chill out, we cant keep saying stuff that NOT true ! I saw an R38 today (Friday 13th on the (C) at 135 SB 3:40PM) 4098 4099

I recall there was a thread here where you could post up pics and vids of the R38s.

please u guys gotta chill with the anouncing of the imminant demise of my beloved R38's first the Fat Boys, then EPMD,A Tribe Called Quest,Leaders Of The New School all break up then they gotta do away with some of my favorite cars to ride the more they reef the more i cry . oh the pain!!!

They are not YOUR R38s.

don't touch my R32s! >=/

They are not YOUR R32s.

i agree with freshponddepot. R42s are in the worst condition possible and most commuters do not seem very pleased with them, not to mention they have the 2nd worst MDBF of 2007 right behind the R44s. but i think Art is right, 4 Phase I R32s, 20 MK R42s, and a few R40Ms were recently taken out of service and all R40 slants are going next, which upsets me a lot because i rank the slants better than the R38/40M/42s.

They are not in the WORST CONDITION POSSIBLE. And if you rank the slants as better, then good for you. Everyone here knows you hate the R42s.

I think that must be the last set for the museum. It's weird that its couple in the middle of the train and not at the ends.

According to nycsubway.org, the R38s are now down in Memory Lane.

url to that mem lane?

BTW are they rly gone, where did ya get the info =/?

Archived