RIP R38s (1966-2009)

R44 5278

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're still running. I think I saw 4098-4099 on a C heading in the opposite direction this morning, but I'm not too sure. MOST LOGICALLY, they would wait until the end of the week (Friday) to retire the last two cars for good. From what I know, the last set of R10s running on the C was retired in a similar manner, last running on the evening of September 17th, 1989.:cool:(C)

Well, the Datasheet says that the Car Barn of Death at 207th Street requested the last two R-38s on March 18/19, so I guess their gone. I rode 4098-99 on the afternoon of March 18th from Hoyt-Schermerhorn Street all the way to 168th Street. I waited a full hour for those cars to show up, because I somehow knew that the end was at hand... It was a good ride. As I got off at 168th, I took one last look up and down the car, and slowly departed. I waited until the two R-38s had trundled out of the station, and then proceeded to continue my trip northward... It is a sad occasion. I never really realized how much I liked the R-38 until its final days. We will see it again, in the World of the Undead (Museum Fleet), but this marks the beginning of the end of an era. Damn, I still remember that 1 or two months ago, I could still see entire car sets of R38s on the (A) and (C). Their final moment of glory, In My Opinion, was when the R40/M/R42 ruled the (C) briefly, and they made regular appearances on the (A). I had been planning to ride the R-38s out to The Rockaways for the last time after riding the Slants out to Far Rockaway in January, but I never really got that chance (guess I'll just have to use the R-32 as a substitute). They were some of the most reliable subway cars that I have ever ridden, and some of the most aesthetically pleasing. We have just lost a very close friend of ours: the venerable R-38.:( The only thing that ever annoyed me about them was that in the present day, except for their unexpected appearance on the (V) in January of 2005, they never made any appearances on lines other than the (A) and (C). How wonderful it would have been to see them on the (:)(D)(E)(F)(G)(J)(L)(M)(N)(Q)(R)(W) or (Z) lines. Unless there is some sort of random disaster, or unless another hippo derails, on the (D), then they will remain OOS. So long, Old Reliable!:(:tup::cool:

Archived