Monmouth Ocean & Middlesex?

N-Trizzy2609

Hello,

I haven't heard anything new about it myself. What section of the ROW are you near. The Freehold Branch? The Southern Secondary? Freehold Secondary?

Eric

I think, it's the one that runs through East Freehold and Marlboro.

• 1 month later...

Hello Everyone,

I thought that its time for me to give my input and opinion about this project.

There are 3 proposed routes.

The Conrail Southern Secondary which runs from Red Bank NJ to Lakehurst

The Conrail Freehold Secondary which runs from Farmingdale NJ to Jamesburg connecting to the Southern Secondary for the rest of the trip to Lakehurst.

The Conrail Freehold Branch which runs from Matawan to Freehold.

The Conrail Freehold Branch runs on the abandoned CNJ ROW from Matawan to Freehold and connected to the Freehold Secondary. The portion from Matawan to Freehold was just converted to the Henry Hudson Trail extension so I guess this proposal is out of the running but I could be wrong.

The Conrail Southern Secondary provides several Primary Advantages if chosen.

1. Red Bank Yard could be used as a layover yard for the commuter trains going to and from Lakehurst as there is room in Red Bank Yard for expansion. (Remember Red Bank was a MAJOR freight yard prior to Conrail)

2. You could either take a direct train to Hoboken or connect with a North Jersey Coast Line train to New York. The could operate the trains like the Long Branch Bay Head shuttle trains that currently operate on the NJCL.

Disadvantages

1. Freight service is still provided by CSX and Norfolk Southern and as result trains would be fighting for space.

2. A portion of the Conrail Southern Secondary passes through a US Navy Weapon Storage base.

The Freehold Secondary runs from Farmingdale NJ to Jamesburg NJ, Crosses the Amboy Secondary, and continues to the Northeast Corridor via the Jamesburg Branch which diverges off of the Amboy Secondary.

Advantages

1. Commuter Rail Service in Freehold for the first time since the 1950's.

2. Another travel option in the busy Freehold area

Disadvantages

1. Traffic Tieups in Downtown Freehold.

2. Fighting with CSX and NS over connection with Amboy Secondary which has a major freight yard there and has heavy freight service on it despite being named a secondary.

3. Major Crossing signal improvements would be necessary along with the Conrail Southern Secondary as Most crossings do not have gates. In addition to that Automatic Block Signaling systems would have to be installed in addition to either passing sidings or double tracking the route.

This is my personal opinons of course and you can agree with me or disagree with my suggestions.

Eric

The Conrail Freehold Branch is a one track line that squeezes through the borough of Freehold. There would be major challenges to the NJ Transit if they were to try and use it. I've followed it for a mile or two and it looks unusable for a passenger railroad.

The Conrail Freehold Branch is a one track line that squeezes through the borough of Freehold. There would be major challenges to the NJ Transit if they were to try and use it. I've followed it for a mile or two and it looks unusable for a passenger railroad.

Yes you are absolutely right. Crossing Improvements and other necessary improvements would be EXTENSIVE!

Eric

We should get some google aerial shots of all the areas in consideration. I would but I'm not too familiar with the areas.

Your wish is my command:p

This is the projected route from lakehurst to red bank,mind you that its only 1 track for the whole length.

Starting from Lakehurst.Ending at red bank.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

You can see my house in one of those frames! LOL

Seriously though, the Matawan-Freehold Line is defiantly out the question. Most of the line would go though very heavy populated area. (My neighborhood included.) The Red Bank might work but again, a few well populated area along the way. Maybe if New Jersey Transit did do the Red Bank branch, I'd proposed a super-station at Route 34 called Colts Neck-Howell Connection and have buses take people into Marlboro, Morganville, and Freehold. There's alot of vast land around and there's room for a by-pass or second track.

Where would be the best places for the new line to connect at the NJCL Matawan and Red Bank?

Like I said earlier Red Bank Yard was a major freight yard prior to Conrail. If NJ Transit was to used the Southern Secondary from Red Bank down to Lakehurst Red Bank Yard can be expanded to accommodate a layover yard or a small station to operate a shuttle train from Red Bank to Lakehurst or even run a direct train from Hoboken.

That's my personal opinion of course.

Eric

Archived