R46's are coming to the (A) soon!!!!

R32 3838

The first post was wrong, after that subwayguy and I were talking about something totally off topic. The paint on the threshold plates has NOTHING to do with yard assignments in any way shape or form. Plus there are not enough R160s on property for that to happen.

I highly think that they are for the C, not the A. At least since the last of the 60" SMEEs go, the C would become full length.

The (C) isn't becoming 600' long until the last of the R32s retire, and those cars will be retired last by the R160.

The R42s should've gone first, not the R38s. Big mistake!

No it's not.

The R44 is not getting another SMS. They will be replaced by the R179 fleet by 2011 - 2013.

Yes they are. It's only a mini-SMS though, but they are getting one so they can last until the R179s come.

As long as I don't get my beloved R-32s and slant R-40s on the (A) and (C) taken away from me, then i don't mind seeing those big monster R-46s on the a/c. I have an idea. If they do put R-32s and R-40s off the A and C, then put them on the (D)(E)(F)(G)(J)(L)(M)(R)(S)(V)(Z). And put the R-46s on the E. That would be a lot of fun.

Ok. The trains aren't anyone's specifically so you don't have to call them "your" R32s. Anyway, the R40s on the (A) will be gone pretty soon but the R32s will stay for a while. I don't get why you call the R46s "monster" either. The R46s aren't going to the (E) either because that line will be all R160 by the end of the summer. Finally, the only place the R32s and R40s are going after the (A) is the reef.

Yup, they look cool on these R-44, 46, 62 and 68's... Make the car look stronger, :P!

No they don't. PLEASE think before you post.

...because they're getting them from the (F) fleet... and what's the (F) line getting? Hmmmmmmmmm...

The (F) will be getting R160s.

Well, I could say that's a hunch right there. There's no evidence or word that the R46s are going to Pitkin or 207, YET. But, it's possible.

Very funny and I will sell you the Brooklyn Bridge for $10!
But I can give him a better deal, The Williamsburg Bridge for $5.
You can't beat my deal. Buy the Manhattan Bridge and get the Queensboro for free.

I give you all BEST PRICE, $34.50! For all the bridges and tunnels in the Tri-state area. (Taken from Russell Peters)

The R44 is not getting another SMS. They will be replaced by the R179 fleet by 2011 - 2013.

They are, it's not a grandiose project, but they are getting some fixes. Seats, paint... yeah, it's a SMS to keep them in shape until the R179 comes. Because frankly, it will take a while for the R179. You can't go to the genie and say "GIVE ME THOSE R179s PRONTO!" It's not going to happen, that's why the R44s are getting a SMS.

As long as I don't get my beloved R-32s and slant R-40s on the (A) and (C) taken away from me, then i don't mind seeing those big monster R-46s on the a/c. I have an idea. If they do put R-32s and R-40s off the A and C, then put them on the (D)(E)(F)(G)(J)(L)(M)(R)(S)(V)(Z). And put the R-46s on the E. That would be a lot of fun.

The R32s are public and you don't own them, hence there is no need to personalise them. Sorry to break your heart but, the slants are going this year. Right after the R38s. If the R40s aren't retiring, then what was the point of exiling the R40 slants from Coney Island? Not feasible. The remaining Slants will be retiring soon, you can't send them to all of those other lines. It sounds depressing, but the truth is, they are retiring. The E will not get R46s as the main stock. The E is very crowded and the R46s do not have enough doors, this causing longer dwell times. They are now deploying the R160As on the E. The E will run fully R160s in the near future.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 3.4; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

They are, it's not a grandiose project, but they are getting some fixes. Seats, paint... yeah, it's a SMS to keep them in shape until the R179 comes. Because frankly, it will take a while for the R179. You can't go to the genie and say "GIVE ME THOSE R179s PRONTO!" It's not going to happen, that's why the R44s are getting a SMS.

The R32s are public and you don't own them, hence there is no need to personalise them. Sorry to break your heart but, the slants are going this year. Right after the R38s. If the R40s aren't retiring, then what was the point of exiling the R40 slants from Coney Island? Not feasible. The remaining Slants will be retiring soon, you can't send them to all of those other lines. It sounds depressing, but the truth is, they are retiring. The E will not get R46s as the main stock. The E is very crowded and the R46s do not have enough doors, this causing longer dwell times. They are now deploying the R160As on the E. The E will run fully R160s in the near future.

I agree with you 100%. Just beacuse you like a certain car type, you can't claim it as your own. Also, all the slants will be gone by the summer. They will stay on the (A) until its their time to go. The (E) isn't going to use mainly R46 because of door limitations like you said.

They're getting SMS, trust me. :P I recently saw R44s 5227 and 5228 with stainless steel waistlines instead of silver painted ones, like R46s.

Those 2 cars have had those stainless steel band since GOH,but yes they

are getting SMS.

They're getting SMS, trust me. :P I recently saw R44s 5227 and 5228 with stainless steel waistlines instead of silver painted ones, like R46s.
I believe they had that for a while actually. On some R44s, the carbon strip rusted so badly that they replaced them with stainless steel strips like what they did on all the SIRT R44s. Either way, they are still excellent cars.

Those 2 cars have had those stainless steel band since GOH,but yes they

are getting SMS.

I believe they had that for a while actually. On some R44s, the carbon strip rusted so badly that they replaced them with stainless steel strips like what they did on all the SIRT R44s. Either way, they are still excellent cars.

Well, I now stand corrected. Thank you.

The red paint is intended for two purposes. One, as has been mentioned, is to make the edge more noticable to avoid tripping and such hazards. The other, more important reason is as a marker for when the train encounters an object. The red paint will be noticably damaged, and the object which hit the train will have a red mark. That is the same reason why the platform edges are yellow, and that tripcocks white and triparms are yellow.

Some R46s will eventually leave Jamaica for Pitkin and 207. I dont believe this is intended to happen until after all R32/40/42s leave Jamaica.

I don't think the B Division ever used something like that for yard assignments like they do in the A Division. I have seen a very few R46s with a red line under their number plate, but usually it's only one car out of the 4 in the set.

I don't think the B Division ever used something like that for yard assignments like they do in the A Division. I have seen a very few R46s with a red line under their number plate, but usually it's only one car out of the 4 in the set.

Exactly, that's what I thought earlier.

The red paint on the R68 does tell which yard it belongs to though.

Red/Yellow paint on B division cars is not intended in any way to indicate which yard a car is assigned to.

If you are referring to the red stripe under the number board, this was intended to indicate which end had the transverse cab so that they could be kept in the front and middle TO and CR positions.

Red/Yellow paint on B division cars is not intended in any way to indicate which yard a car is assigned to.

If you are referring to the red stripe under the number board, this was intended to indicate which end had the transverse cab so that they could be kept in the front and middle TO and CR positions.

Then what does the red paint signify?

The red paint on the threshold plates of the door?

That is to indicate if there has been any point of contact from the car to any object in the tunnel/on the el. I suspect that this is being done currently on the R46s because the R fleet has been showing up back in the yard with damaged threshold plates. If a car is damaged, all one has to do is look along the line to see what damaged it. Whatever was hit by the train is going to have red paint on the point of contact. It allows you to fix the problem which has been occurring. Perhaps what you are seeing is the result of one yard noticing that their R68s were hitting something. Therefore, that yard would paint the threshold plates of the car, but the other yards operating such cartypes wouldn't.

The red paint on the threshold plates of the door?

That is to indicate if there has been any point of contact from the car to any object in the tunnel/on the el. I suspect that this is being done currently on the R46s because the R fleet has been showing up back in the yard with damaged threshold plates. If a car is damaged, all one has to do is look along the line to see what damaged it. Whatever was hit by the train is going to have red paint on the point of contact. It allows you to fix the problem which has been occurring. Perhaps what you are seeing is the result of one yard noticing that their R68s were hitting something. Therefore, that yard would paint the threshold plates of the car, but the other yards operating such cartypes wouldn't.

Interesting

There are speculations that the R46 trains will start transferring to Pitkin this coming weekend and will start service on Monday to start retiring the remaining slants.

How are they getting the train to Pitkin (aren't they doing construction this weekend and is the power turned off through the tracks)?

Why are they doing that? I guess they are keeping the R40M/R42 and R32 they already have at Jamaica.

Oh well we'll see throughout the week.

The R40Ms are retiring with the R40s since they are the same fleet. Some R42s would move back to the A to replace the slants. The R46s won't come in until the R32s are all gone. The purpose of the R46s on 8th Avenue is to extend the C to full length.

Considering the source of that claim (the superintendent of Pitkin Yard) I would tend to consider it as more than simply a rumor. In the past, some reassignments have occurred before they have been physically able to be carried out do to GOs. (i.e. the C went back to R32/R38s two weeks after the intended transition)

Archived