Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
R10 2952

What cars did the A use between 1984-1991?

Just wondering... what types of cars did the A use between 1984 and 1991? I know that the C used R10s/R30s, but did the A ever use them during that time? Did the A use only one car type, or multiple car types?(A)(C)(H)

I heard that R27/R30s ran on the C. So, it may be possible for the A to use those cars as well.

R-37's ran on the QJ, RR. Franklin Avenue Shuttle, (N), Culver Shuttle, (L), QB, (M), QT, (D), (J), (:P, LL, AA, (A), (T) {Astoria Line}

R-30's ran on the (C), (M), QJ, JJ<---(J), RR, AA, Franklin Avenue Shuttle, (N)

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?38584

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?24516

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

During the 80's I think all the Slants were on the (A) but I'm not 100% sure.
During the early 80's most R40s was on the (A), and some was on the (B). That was, until April 1985 all of the remaining R40s on the (A), went to the (B). :cool:

As others have said, The A was primarily made up of R38s and R44s for a long time before the present. I believe the R40s were pulled from the A in 1983-4. While rare, I am sure the R10s did show up on the A from time to time. I know the R30s would, especially during off hours when the C wasn't running.

Just wondering... what types of cars did the A use between 1984 and 1991? I know that the C used R10s/R30s, but did the A ever use them during that time? Did the A use only one car type, or multiple car types?(A)(C)(H)

The slants ruled the (A) until 1984, when the R44's and R38's currently assigned took over completely. I'm not sure why the slants completely disappeared from the (A) in the first place.

The slants probably ran through late 1984 on the (A), but I can definately state they were long gone by September 1985.

I never rode a slant on the (A). Since I began railfanning regularly in late 1985, I'd have at least seen one. The R38's were almost completely on the (A) at this time. A few did operate on the (:) before the bridge flip of 4/86.

My recollection of slants on the (A) consists only of watching the trains descend down the ramp near Grant Ave. from the McDonalds located at 76th St. and Liberty Ave, which I frequented as a kid. I always noticed those funky slant cars on the A. I don't remember seeing any after I started junior high in late 1984. Not exactly a definitive way to argue what car assignments were in the past, but I can say I was a very observant kid. I knew my subway cars.

In fact, I began riding the (A) regularly in September of 1985 almost daily from Rockaway Blvd to Far Rockaway, Rockaway Park, or Lefferts Blvd, then to ENY for the (J) to my home. I called it "taking the looooonng way home". LOL. Not a single trip I took in this period was on a slant. All R44/R38, or R10 if I rode the (H).

Another good job Rene. Great brief account of the car fleet on the (A)betwen 1984-2008. Till last year the (A) was mainly R38's and 44's and occasional the R32's. Between 1985-Dec.1988, the old (AA)line ran mostly R42's while the (C) which only ran rush hours then had fleet of mostly R-27's aka the 'oringal redbirds' and occasional r-10's(Both of those fleet was retired by 1988)

Since 1989-2008, the (C) had run almost always R32's and R38's.

FYI and off topic. To get a great example of the (A) and (C) line train fleet in late 1980's, i strongly suggest strongly watching these '2' hit movies on video. The first is "Coming to America" starring Eddie Murphy and "Ghost" starring Patrick Swayze, Demi Moore and Whoopi Goldberg.

The slants ruled the (A) until 1984, when the R44's and R38's currently assigned took over completely. I'm not sure why the slants completely disappeared from the (A) in the first place.

The slants probably ran through late 1984 on the (A), but I can definately state they were long gone by September 1985.

I never rode a slant on the (A). Since I began railfanning regularly in late 1985, I'd have at least seen one. The R38's were almost completely on the (A) at this time. A few did operate on the (:) before the bridge flip of 4/86.

My recollection of slants on the (A) consists only of watching the trains descend down the ramp near Grant Ave. from the McDonalds located at 76th St. and Liberty Ave, which I frequented as a kid. I always noticed those funky slant cars on the A. I don't remember seeing any after I started junior high in late 1984. Not exactly a definitive way to argue what car assignments were in the past, but I can say I was a very observant kid. I knew my subway cars.

In fact, I began riding the (A) regularly in September of 1985 almost daily from Rockaway Blvd to Far Rockaway, Rockaway Park, or Lefferts Blvd, then to ENY for the (J) to my home. I called it "taking the looooonng way home". LOL. Not a single trip I took in this period was on a slant. All R44/R38, or R10 if I rode the (H).

Between 1985-Dec.1988, the old (AA)line ran mostly R42's while the (C) which only ran rush hours

From 1985 to 1988, there was no (AA) train, the Eighth Avenue Local was the (K) along with the (C) & (E) trains. In May 1985, as part of the elimination of double letters, the former (AA), the Eighth Avenue Local, was renamed the (K).

From 1985 to 1988, there was no (AA) train, the Eighth Avenue Local was the (K) along with the (C) & (E) trains. In May 1985, as part of the elimination of double letters, the former (AA), the Eighth Avenue Local, was renamed the (K).

That what i meant. lol. Thanks for clearing that up. Irene and others please see the movies "ghost' and 'coming to america'

No you didn't. If you did, you would correct it and put the "old" (K) train, not the "old" (AA) train.

whatever. I am not the best typist in the world.

And Rene to clarify things, even after the 'name change in 1985' many people still called the renamed (K) the (AA) until the (C) became a full time line in 1988. One of them was my father who was a US Postal Employee manager at the main post office at 32-33rd Sts. and 8th Ave. This was because a few years ealier in late 1970's there was a separte (K) line on the Nassau/Williamsburgh line that ran between 57th/6th and Eastern Pwy.

Until the early 1990's there was always rumors of bringing that line back.

During the 80's I think all the Slants were on the (A) but I'm not 100% sure.

actually there were slants on the (A) back then, but also on the (:P you'd also see them sprinkled on the (D)&<Q> though the (D) was mostly R40m &R42 before the R68's went into service, i still remember the (C) being dominated by R9's in the 80's & early 90's man were they noisy as hell

Actually the R27/30 cars ran on the (C) and (F) lines up until 1991 while the R27/30s had a farewell trip in May 1993

The R27/30 by the late 1980's never ran on the (F). During the early 1980's the R-9's & R27/30's both did run for short time on the (F) while repairs were done to the then fairly new R46's.

The only time the r27/30's ran on the 6th Ave line at the decade was on the oringal 6th Avenue-Grand St (S)between 1986-88. The (F) occasional had ran R32's by 1989. I meant to say the R27/30's ran mostly on the (C) line and also on the (J)(M) and (L) lines too. By 1989, the entire BMT eastern divison was all R40s's(slants) R40's m'and R42's.

The R9's were gone by 1989 Fulton Express. You probably mean the R27/30's right?

and the last ones in service on the (C) did retire early in 1993 as the BMT/IND "rebird" models.

whatever. I am not the best typist in the world.

And Rene to clarify things, even after the 'name change in 1985' many people still called the renamed (K) the (AA) until the (C) became a full time line in 1988.

:confused:

Whatever, dude. I know my subway routes, in general there was no (AA) train from 1985 to 1988, it was the (K).

Edited by bigrene18

:confused:

Whaever, dude. I know my subway routes, in general there was no (AA) train from 1985 to 1988, it was the (K).

I am no 'rookie' either on NYC subway history either. I know more the route info history than the subway or bus fleet myself.:(