Weather delay New Haven

SubaruWRX

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Nasty delays going on at

Least one train pulled into south Norwalk with two pans down so sono was the last stop until it can get towed to the new haven yard

Guest Charles

Ouch. This is one of those times the catanery might not work as well. Then again, icing also builds up on third-rails. Which leads once again to the question, which is better?

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Well coming from new haven no need to drop the pans so confused about that

If ice (or anything else) damages the carbon strip, it ruptures an air pipe that releases the air and lowers the pantograph. Keeps the damaged bit from tearing the wires down.

Was the unit mid-consist, trailing, or leading?

- A

it was leading B)

So 2 sets were out which means a total of 4 dead cars :-/ it was a 8 car train

Yea, if they had been trailing, they would have gone OOS before that. You can go slow pushing dead units, but trailing forget it.

Must have been some serious ice on the catenary.

- A

Yeah I did not think so also I did not know these pans used a air pipe for the carbon strip I thought it was going to first happen on the new cars

Yeah I did not think so also I did not know these pans used a air pipe for the carbon strip I thought it was going to first happen on the new cars

You should be able to see the small pipe leading up to the contact area. All EMU that i've seen in service have at least one. The pantograph is controlled via airbag or pneumatic cylinder, not sure which in this case. There are obviously different designs for the mechanism, but they are reliable and keep the train and wires safe. Next time try to get a photo! :cool:

- A

I did take a picture of this train but forgot to post them yesterday also about safe trains last week I saw some arching from a part that was hanging from the insulator I thought it was from the pano but when I got at Stamford and looked above the train you could see it was touching the metal top where the resistor banks where. Sad thing was I had my video camera that day but I did not want to get asked what was I doing if stopped.

I did take a picture of this train but forgot to post them yesterday also about safe trains last week I saw some arching from a part that was hanging from the insulator I thought it was from the pano but when I got at Stamford and looked above the train you could see it was touching the metal top where the resistor banks where. Sad thing was I had my video camera that day but I did not want to get asked what was I doing if stopped.

:eek: You shoulda reported that. What units were these (both incidents)?

- A

I did not write the car number down however as of this morning I did not see it/hear it it was pretty loud and I figured they would hear it when doing the yard move in Stanford. I will report it next time I do hear it.

I did not write the car number down however as of this morning I did not see it/hear it it was pretty loud and I figured they would hear it when doing the yard move in Stanford. I will report it next time I do hear it.

Ok, cool! :cool::tup:

- A

Was that the disabled set, or another, OOS set?

I can see ice forming on the neutral sections of the wire, and cross-over junctions at the phase gaps, since they wouldn't be heated at all by the magnetostriction.

- A

Yes it was the disabled set the other pair was behind this one.

I see, it makes the situation much more clear. They likely moved passengers out of there and had them running dead in tow with no additional weight aside from the engineer. Thankfully on Budd EMU the power system and the control system are not reliant on each other, so you can have a dead unit in the consist, but still be able to brake etc.

Also relevant, is the fact that the doors would likely not work, so getting passengers to move to another part of the train is muy importante.

In any case awesome that you got photos. This is why i always carry my cameras with me, you never know what you might catch!

- A

The thing is that they had to say over the PA 4 times to tell passengers to get off the train but yet people still did not move a inch. If this was Greenwich I would of had some jokes.

The thing is that they had to say over the PA 4 times to tell passengers to get off the train but yet people still did not move a inch. If this was Greenwich I would of had some jokes.

People always think it doesn't mean them, or they are excluded or are special. :(

- A

Archived