Why were R10s green instead of red?

R10 2952

Why were R10s, in the last 5 years of their life, painted spruce green as opposed to bright red? Most other trains during that time were being repainted as Redbirds. Why did the MTA paint them differently? I think that they looked superb in dark green, but I was just curious as to why that was.

(A)(C)(K)

One thing to remember is that these cars were repainted green before anything else was repainted red. I think red was later chosen to be the color of all carbon steel GOH cars. (remember, the GOH R36s were white after overhaul.)

A Few R33s did make it into the green scheme. (For that matter, so did an R17 and an R21)

During the 1980s the (NYCT) was trying to fight the war on graffiti, seeing that the R10/R27/R30 though R36 [Except R32/38, which were stainless which were in GOH] were the only fleets that were not stainless steal, received a GOH paint job.

IRT: They had White, Blue and Red for them[R26, 28, 29 33, 36] FInally red for them

IND/BMT: R10 [Green] and R27/30[Red]

the R10s would of gotten painted red, but because the end of the life for these cars were near [1948-1989], the green was left. While the others caught up with Red. R30s retireed in 1993. R26-36 IRT: 2002-2004

These word are from myself not from wiki or any1^^

You can view wiki too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R10_(New_York_City_Subway_car)

Archived