T/O Salary

theprogram4

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Believe it or not, a TA T/O makes more than a NJT Engineer. New Jersey Transit doesn't pay sh*t. That's why you rarely hear about people leaving the TA to go to NJT.

Now PATH is another story altogether...they give away $$$.

I applied to NJT and seen that. That is sad. Now if PATH is giving away money, well I can use some giveaway money..........

We aren't city employees. The biggest difference is you can retire alot younger here than at the post office. For us it's 50% after 25/50 and you get points for each year after 25.

I know you meant 25/55 right? Or do have an IN with the arbitrator ?

hmm, so does anyone know the age/amount of years worked at which you could retire at full pension pay? at the post office its 60% after 30 years but an additional 2% for each year you work after 30. they tell me city benefits are way better so i was wondering the specifics. thanks

I think you're still missing something here. Once you meet the requirements (25 years of service & 55 years of age) you can retire with a full pension. A full pension only pays 50% of what you had been earning while working.

For the first five years after meeting the requirements, you get an extra 1.5% added on - bringing you to 57.5% after five years. From then on, it's an extra 1%/year up to some stated limit (which I don't know). Suffice it to say, you will NEVER get a 100% pension.

From what I read on the exam pay is like 26.99 for a train operator.

What are the pay increases like? What is the maximum you can make per hour?

Is there a paid lunch hour?

Also, how many sick days are allowed per year?

Are there any family or personal days?

What are the health benefits like? Does it pay 100%?

Is there a 401k program?

Also, if there is mandatory overtime, is it possible to take holidays off?

If you work on a holiday is it time and a half?

For first years, with OT, how much does a typical Train operator make?

Thanks. I've been reading these posts, but none have answered these questions.:cool:

Is there a 401k program?

Thanks. I've been reading these posts, but none have answered these questions.:cool:

Alot of these I have personally answered already.

You get paid for lunch but you only have to get 20 minutes by rule. You get 12 sick days per year that the TA does NOT want you to ever use. It is extremely hard to get a holiday off unless you have major seniority( 25+ years in title). If you work on a holiday it is NOT time and a half.

You can either save the holiday to take off another day or you can be paid twice for the day. The top pay for a T/O right now is $28.65/hr.

Jesus christ, 28.65 is the top pay for T/o ? Can you get that pay raise in the second year? Is there a yearly bonus?

It takes on average 1.5 -2 years to reach top pay. There are NO bonus'!!!!!

Is there a 401k program?

OMG i just came on here to ask like half of those! LOL. any word on the 401k? if there is one, what does the MTA match? and for the health care, how many people can you have on it? cuz at the post office i only pay $33/check for myself. but if i covered self+family it would be around $130/check i think

Okay, forget the typical newby T/O, how much did you make in your first year of being a T/O?
Doing a minimum of 40 hours a week which you are guaranteed, your rough estimate of take home pay (after taxes) is around 40,000 - 43,000.

OMG i just came on here to ask like half of those! LOL. any word on the 401k? if there is one, what does the MTA match? and for the health care, how many people can you have on it? cuz at the post office i only pay $33/check for myself. but if i covered self+family it would be around $130/check i think

There is no 401k. It's just a pension plan.

No, 401k that sucks. What if you leave before your 25 years or before the requirements of pension? Do you get anything back?

now i think there is just a misunderstanding over at the post office. they always say you guys get better benefits but when i asked all the specifics, nothing is better.

healhcare: i pay $33/check right now. 1.5% of the current T/O salary works out to $33/check exactly.

retirement: i can retire at age 57 after 30 years with 60% pension, plus my Thrift Savings Plan (almost the same as a 401k) contributions and employee matched contributions. T/Os can retire at age 55 after 25 years but only get 50% pension plus NO employer matched contributer savings plan.

salary: im a supervisor right now. i make $55k plus pay for performance bonuses. T/Os make 56k and top out at about 60k. my Sunday premiums are 25% of my base pay and night differentials are 10% of my base pay. T/Os didnt specify but i hear its not as much as i make.

20 minutes for lunch, are they out of their mind? im supposed to stay on my assignment in case someone gets hurt or something but we all sneak to the cafeteria and grab something to eat! not to mention the bathroom thing. 14 hour workdays, are they out of their mind? maybe this move isnt for me :cry:

the post office is losing millions every day and cuts ARE coming, so of course i have to take this test. the (MTA) is expanding with the 2nd Ave. subway (T) and up until January had a continuous rising ridership. they also get free transportation! :mad: i dont get free stamps! and of course since i grew up on a redbird line (2)<5> White Plains Road, i always dreamed of driving the train on my daily commute to high school while looking out the front window until they were replaced by the high tech cars in my senior year. in the next few years there will be no railfan window left in the entire system and one of my few hobbies in the world will no longer exist :) . i also happen to be perfectly qualified for the job, EXACTLY 4 years of employment (started working at subway sandwiches in march 2005 until i got hired at the post office) and EXACTLY 30 college credits before i dropped out. i have never touched a drug in my life, dont drink, will pass the medical exam with flying colors in perfect health (knock on wood), 20/40 vision. all i know how to do in life is take standardized reading comprehension and math tests cuz thats all i was taught how to do (i cant even light a match, seriously) so im sure i could score in the high 90s if i wanted to. i found out about this test because i happened to be on the right bus eavesdropping on the right bus driver's conversation at the right time (i literally found out about this 3 days before the filing period began). i filed on the first day because i remembered from 5 years ago when i started the famous "How to become a T/O" thread on "that other" website, that the tie breaker is based on when you file for the exam. i have no social life-ive never been to a club, bar, or party, never lost my virginity (and im 23! i had one girlfriend when i was 18 but no nookie). i like being enclosed in a little box not having to talk to anybody while i work. i think its awesome to have a job where you walk around with tools, in a uniform, and everybody knows how much you make and envies you but cant rob you b/c its a 7 year felony. i dont have a degree or the social skills to cut it in private industry. i already know what its like to be @$^&ed up the ass by the post office when i was a part time flexible mail handler (equivalent to an "extra" at the (MTA)) so this wouldnt be such a culture shock to me the way it will be for all the newbs coming in from private industry. it seemed like fate! but i JUST broke away from that mess and became a supervisor 6 months ago. this test is a good safety net, but with mandatory double shifts, no 401k, decent lunch break, or bathrooms and top pay looking too much like starting pay...maybe its just not the best job in the city afterall

No, 401k that sucks. What if you leave before your 25 years or before the requirements of pension? Do you get anything back?

There is a 401k and a 457 retirement plan but there is NO contribution by the TA.

There is a 401k and a 457 retirement plan but there is NO contribution by the TA.

Because the 401(k) is paid of pre-tax earnings, you reap some significant benefits. First, you don't pay taxes on what you contribute until the time comes to take it out of the account; second, your Adjusted Gross Income is reduced by the amount you've contributed to the 401(k), so your income tax for the year will be lessened.

You can also roll over your 401k into your Roth Ira in the future. Your best bet is to have a few retirement vehicles when you stop working.

they also get free transportation! :mad: i dont get free stamps!

Yes true but for that perk if something happens on the train your riding and your quilifed an able to help the crew you have too. Like example your off duty an a sick customer is on the train and the C/R makes an announcement for a MTA employee or Police officer come to the C/R position to assist your supose too. If the customer can go to the platform then you stay with them and the C/R can stay on the train and continue in service instead of discharging the train and have the Conductor remain on the platform. Ofcause if your not in uniform and no one knows you then you get buy just acting like a Regular customer.

T/O. tops out at 28.65 *40 hours= $1,146.00*52weeks = 59,592.00

However, my guess is that T/Os make a lot of overtime and maybe clear 90k a year?

OT is time and a half correct? And my estimate doesn't include the shift differential of 10% for night time. So if you work night time you can make 31.515*40hours= $1,260.60 *52 weeks= 65,551.20

So OT would be at 31.515 *1.5 = 47.2725 ???? For the top earners?

However, my guess is that T/Os make a lot of overtime and maybe clear 90k a year?

OT is time and a half correct? And my estimate doesn't include the shift differential of 10% for night time. So if you work night time you can make 31.515*40hours= $1,260.60 *52 weeks= 65,551.20

We don't get 10% for differential pay the union gave that up. I think it's either 4 or 6%. You are obsessed with overtime pay but haven't even taken the test yet.

Very few T/O's make over 90K a year anymore. If you make to much they cap you. Senior men pick jobs that pay them 9,10,11 hours a day so they can't really be capped if they don't work on there days off.

During your first few years when your extra you will make around 68-75K depending on how much OT they force on you and if you work on your days off which NOBODY recommends while on probation.

Plus you're not taking into account the more you make the more your 1.5% for medical is going to be plus all of the other deductions.

I would be more concerned on what the job entails rather than the max payout you'll get.

I would be more concerned on what the job entails rather than the max payout you'll get.

Julio you are 100% correct!

Nobody takes these jobs to become rich because it isn't going to happen. But it is a secure job with a pension.

Archived