Gates Bans iPods and iPhones from His Home

mark1447

Forbids children to use them

Gates-Bans-iPods-and-iPhones-from-His-Home-2.jpg

You would think that being the offspring of a multi-billionaire, and a man who has spent more than a decade in the no. 1 position of the world's most affluent businessmen, would by synonymous with having everything you want. Well, you would be wrong. Bill Gates has banned iPods and iPhones from his home, a mansion on the shores of Lake Washington, and has forbidden his children to use such devices. And don't think for a moment that “banned” is an exaggeration, because it is not. Gates, the co-founder of Microsoft, currently pseudo-retired and focusing on the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, is actually considering iPods and iPhones as tabu in his household, according to his wife.

“There are very few things that are on the banned list in our household,” Melinda French Gates revealed to Syle. “But iPods and iPhones are two things we don’t get for our kids.” Bill and Melinda gates have three children together: Jennifer, Rory, and Phoebe. In all fairness, the children are indeed rather young, and undoubtedly not yet dying for some Apple accessories. The two daughters are six and twelve with the boy just nine years old. Still, despite the decision not to allow the children access to iPods or iPhones, the Gates are trying to ensure a normal life for their progeny.

“It is essential to them that those kids have as regular a childhood as possible,” explained Melinda’s brother Raymond French. “They go to parks, have playdates and sleep-overs. Melinda is fierce about this. There will be no bubble for them; these children will not turn out to be Paris Hilton.”

At the same time it's hard not to take into consideration the scenario in which business rivalry between Cupertino and Redmond is what managed to make Gates ban iPods and iPhones from his home. After all, the Gates family sporting Apple accessories for the world to see would be equivalent to a less than smart marketing. And it's not like Apple CEO Steve Jobs is a big fan of Zune, is it?

But just because Apple devices are banned doesn't mean that the Gates are immune to the product's allure. “Every now and then I look at my friends and say, ‘Ooh, I wouldn’t mind having that iPhone’,” Melinda Gates confessed.

Source: SOFTPEDIA

Well, that is obvious... Most likely Steve Jobs also ban Microsoft products in his household other than Microsoft Office... Possibly the Gates allow all softwares from Apple...

Got that from Engadget and Gizmodo right?

If Steve Jobs were to ban MSFT products that would be a problem to the Microsoft's Mac Business Unit which allows MSFT to produce software for Apple, such as Office for Mac, or Microsoft Messenger[MSN Messenger for Mac] and so..

Same for Apple to MSFT, making Quicktime, Itunes, Safari and so on..

Yeah, I know... Billy G should be like me... Don't like Apple but still use at least some of their products...

I didn't say 'software'... I say 'hardware'...

oh sry, same thing you know...

I wonder if the Zune Player does for Mac?

I see why, I mean, who wants to stare their competitors in the face all the time? But although I'm a Windows person, I do like the iPod. I just couldn't get into the Zune. I saw it in the store, and I was thinking about buying it, but for some reason, I just didn't want to.

Smart people are smart. Apple's non-computer products (especially iPhones) don't last that long. My friend went through 3 iPhones in about 2 months, and she's already thinking about switching back to reliable SE phones. IMO, iPods, iTouches, and iPhones are just overhyped.

Yes, I don't like Apple, but please don't start about that.

Archived