Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
bigrene18

Service changes 1983-1998

A little history of the subway from 1983 to '99:

7/10/83: (2) and (3) lines exchange terminals in Brooklyn. (3) moved to New Lots via Livonia Ave el, (2) moved to Flatbush Ave va Nostrand Ave. subway.

6/85: Elimination of all double lettered routes.

4/15/85: Closure of the Queens Blvd. and Metroplitan Ave. stations on the Jamaica Ave. el and the cutback of (J) service to 121 St.

8/85: Closure of the 6th Ave Manhattan Bridge tracks and implementation of split B/D service.

4/26/86: The (M) was moved from the Brighton line to West End line.

Also on 4/26/86, the express tracks on Brighton line closed, (D)/<Q> "skip-stop" service implemented.

5/24/87: (N) and (R) terminal switch. (N) trains moved to Astoria and (R) trains moved to Forest Hills. Nightime (F) service routed to 57th/6th and (G) service cut back to Queens Plaza on weekends. Weekend (:) trains terminate at 57/7th, instead of Queensboro Plaza.

11/19/87 Elimination of the Rush hour <R> Nassau St special.

12/11/88-12/12/88: What I call "Manic Monday". The opening of the Archer Ave. extension and the removal of (E) service from Hillside Ave. to Archer Ave. (J) service extended to Parsons via new lower level. Closure of Broadway tracks on Manhattan Bridge and reopening of 6th Ave. tracks. (B) and (D) trains returned to 6th Ave. (Q6) train rerouted to 6th Ave. to 57th St. and moved to the newly re-opened Brighton express tracks. Expansion of Fulton St express from rush hour to all weekday operation. (K) train eliminated, replaced by (B) and expanded (C) service.

8/21/89: Introduction of the (9) line on the IRT Bway/7th Ave Line, as well as skip-stop service above 168th St .

10/29/89: Opening of 63rd St line to Queensbridge. (B), (Q6) and (JFK) express service extended to run on new line.

4/15/90: elimination of the (JFK) express.

9/26/90: Opening of Broadway Manhattan Bridge tracks. N service routed express from 34th St to 59th St. in Brooklyn. This service was ended in late December due to structural problems on the bridge.

10/22/92: Rockaway line changes. (H) shuttle eliminated. (A) service to Rockaway Park implemented during rush hours. All (C) service cut back to Euclid Ave only. Nightime shuttle service to Lefferts Blvd implemented, (A) service running to Mott Ave. The "round robin" night shuttle service in Rockaway eliminated. Rockaway Park "(S)" shuttle service begins, running round the clock. Rush hour (R) service east of Forest Hills to 179th ST. eliminated. (F) service rerouted as a local from 179th to Forest Hills at all times. (Sometime before these changes, the (R) line was cut back to a shuttle from 36th to 95th Sts. in Brooklyn, and (G) service extended to 179th St. to compensate. I cannot remember the date)

Beginning on 5/31/94, (N) operates express from Pacific Street to 59 Street/4 Av during weekday rush hours and middays. (M) service rerouted to 4th Ave local.

4/30/95-11/7/95 Midday closure of Manhattan Bridge. (D) service cut to 34th St, (Q) service runs via Broadway & Montague St. tunnel from Coney Island to Queensbridge, running express from Canal St to 57th St. (B) service reduced to a CI-Pacific St. shuttle. (M) service cut back to Chambers. (C) service extended from 145th to 168th to replace (B). Shuttle service between Grand St. and Bway Lafayette only.

11/7/95: Mid-day M service from Chambers St. to 9th Ave eliminated (Mannhattan bridge reroute made permanent).

3/98 to 10/98: Lennox Ave. rehab. This reroute has been covered in depth before.

3/1/98: (B) and (C) service swap northern terminals. (C) to 168th st and (B) service to 145th/Bedford Park Blvd.

4/30/99 to 9/1/99: Williamsburgh Bridge closure. J service reduced to shuttle from Myrtle Ave to Jamaica Center. M line split: from Metropolitan Ave to Marcy Ave 24 hours a day, also Chambers St. to Bay Parkway rush hours peak direction only. Shuttle service from Broad St (Chambers St on weekends) to Essex St also provided for.

There are several additions:

1/94 to 6/95: Stillwell Ave Viaduct reconstruction, N service were cut back to 86 Street.

Beginning 9/6/94, 9 train service is cut to rush hours only.

Beginning 2/27/95, rush-hour 5 trains operates to/from E238 Street/Nereid Ave.

Starting 9/95, Grand Central Shuttle S late night service discontinued.

Starting 3/97, G line terminates at Court Square during weekends.

Starting 9/97, because of 21 Street extension construction, at nights E and F trains run local in Queens; G line terminates at Court Square after 9 PM. 21 Street night shuttle runs local along 6 Ave from 21 Street to 2 Ave.

7/24/98 to 10/18/99: Franklin Ave Shuttle S reconstruction.

4/6/98 to 5/22/99: 63 Street tunnet reconstruction, B & Q Service cut to 57 Street/6 Ave. 63 Street Shuttle to 57 Street/7 Ave; extended to 34 Street during weekdays.

Starting 9/99, 2 becomes local during nights; 6 is extended to Brooklyn Bridge during nights.

The (2) should have remained express via 7th Avenue late nights and once the (6) returned back to Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall 24/7 the (4) should of ran express via Lexington Avenue late nights

very nice, thanks. I first rode the NYC Subway in 1989 shortly after the (9) service began and Subway service was extended to Roosevelt Island & 21st St/ Queensbridge. At that time everyone was marvelling about the Graffiti-free trains. I never saw double letter trains or the (K) or the R-17's but do remember seeing the (JFK) Service and the (H). At that time it seemed every (2) & (3) was a Redbird.

Excellent post bigrene! Couldn't have done better myself. Actually, I couldn't have done it at all! :)

I never even got to see the (9). When i was a kid the only trains I really knew were the (A)(C)(E)(H)(F)(G)(7). I think my family really screwed me outta a chance to see some really cool trains back then. I heard the (2)(5) had redbirds but never got to actually see it. Someone post up some Redbird (2)(5) trains and a picture of the (9) please?

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Thanks to all of you, really! I'm very interested with the subway system (history, routes, lines, etc). :)

8/85: Closure of the 6th Ave Manhattan Bridge tracks and implementation of split B/D service.

(QUOTE]

Actually a small correction. The split (:)(D) services as result of the Manhattan Bridge work began on 4/25/86. In August 1985, weekdays the (D) via Brighton and the (B) via West End still ran on their then existing routes. On most Weekends and Late Nighs was the detour via the Bway tracks of the (B)(D) lines until the full closure began in April 1986.

Actually, 8/85 there was a several month shutdown, then it went either back to normal, or the Bway side closed, and then in April it went back to 6th Av. closed. There were shorter scheduled closings in '83 and '84 as well.

Actually, 8/85 there was a several month shutdown, then it went either back to normal, or the Bway side closed, and then in April it went back to 6th Av. closed. There were shorter scheduled closings in '83 and '84 as well.

The Manhattan Bridge in 1985 and soon after the Williamsburg around '87-88 was such in bad shape there was serious talk of tearing both down and replacing both of them wth tunnels for both cars/trucks and the subway.

Actually you correct Eric. From August-November 1985 the 6th Ave tracks on the bridge was closed. Then they were briefly reopened for a few months until Spring 1986.

By April '86 the NYC DOT and NYS Dot decided to begin the first of '2' long term closure of the 6th Ave Bridge until Dec. 1988. I know as i was a young teen living in SW Brooklyn at time.:eek:

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

(QUOTE]

Actually a small correction. The split (:)(D) services as result of the Manhattan Bridge work began on 4/25/86. In August 1985, weekdays the (D) via Brighton and the (B) via West End still ran on their then existing routes. On most Weekends and Late Nighs was the detour via the Bway tracks of the (B)(D) lines until the full closure began in April 1986.

Sorry. But that's one mistake anyways. I'm usually good in those stuff. :cool:

Hmm i thought the (H) was killed in 93?

Nah, it was 10/1992, when the (C) got cut back from Rockway Park to Eucild Avenue. Also, that's when full time service on the (A) to Far Rockaway/Mott Avenue started.

Thanks for the history!

No prob, man! ;)

The only thing worse than the eliminating of the JFK Express was the creation of the V train.

LOL! ;)

Hey lets do a "Back to the Future' find Dr Emmitt Brown and Marty McFly(aka Micheal J Fox) and create a R32 42 or 46 DeLorean machine to relieve that time.

lol

Anyone seen Back to the future?

Off topic but related to 1985.

http://WWW.YOUTUBE.COM '1985' song by Bowling for Soup.:cool:

Um, lolz? Great song, but...

Thanks for the history Rene. Pretty interesting to see how the subway evolved into what we have today.

Um, lolz? Great song, but...

Thanks for the history Rene. Pretty interesting to see how the subway evolved into what we have today.

Your welcome:cool: