Stand Clear of the Closing Doors, please

MattTrain

There's the catch phrase "Stand Clear of the Closing Doors, Please" by all conductors, with the exception of the NTT cars, unless the conductor decides to override the automated announcements.

But here's the real issue, I can't stand having trains delayed, and I'm sure conductors can relate here, or train operators for that matter and even passengers too because of passengers holding the doors. With the NTT cars, if people hold the doors too often when they close, the conductor or operator plays an announcement "Ladies and Gentlemen, please do not hold the car doors open while the train is in the station." or "Please do not block the doors while the train is in the station" or "Please do not lean against the doors." just to prove their point. On the old cars, the conductor would remind everyone "Please do not hold the doors you will cause delays on the train."

I once got on a R68A (Q) and a guy tries to get in the train car 5070, as the doors close. His brown suitcase, which was about 2 X 1 1/2 feet blocks one set of the doors that are about to close in on him. The R68A train can't go because those doors won't fully close. Doors open, the man gets in, but the doors close again, and the suitcase is still stuck between the doors, and other passengers bodies caught between the just opened set of doors, about like five or six of them. The doors open, close, open, close, open, and then finally close for good with everyone in it.

The conductor out of frustration, says "That's the most stupid thing I've seen! Please stop holding the doors! If you can't catch this train wait for the next one. You are delaying this (Q) train!"

Another story involves the (;) and (Q). That's right two R68A trains one each on the (;) and (Q) at Kings Highway Manhattan bound side. The doors are opened for 10 seconds then there's a scene, where one man can't choose which train to ride in. Yeah they look the same, but they're different routes. The (Q) conductor says "Make a decision or I'll close the doors on you!" The man promptly chooses the (:) as the doors are already closing, the doors close and he is caught between the doors of the (B) train. The (Q) still had its doors open. The (B) opens up, and the man, gets out of the (B), and tries to go to the (Q), but the doors close in on him, and he doesn't have a grip on the (Q) doors. In this instance, he had some indecision and that probably cost him. He ends up missing both (B) and (Q) trains, and screams out the magic word.

The Lexington Avenue (4)(5)(6)<6> probably has this issue, everyday, where people stuff themselves in the train cars of the R142 and R142A, that's when the conductors say "If you can't fit in the train, wait for the next one, please stand clear of the closing doors please!" The doors close, and people's feet are caught in the train doors anyway, with some forced out. A security guard working at Grand Central once said "With overcrowding and the popularity of the (4)(5)(6), the holding doors is going to be a big issue, because everyone's just trying to enter the train, even though there's hardly any room left."

I guess this happens everyday, but it doesn't cause major delays. I just wish it didn't happen so often.

Don't hold the doors if:

One or more of your members of a group are not ready

If you are in a hurry and you're about to miss it.

Just wait for the next one.

What do you think of all this?

Well holding doors is a way of life in the NYC Subway and is one of the leading causes of Late trains. I have taken 2 trains out of service of it because the door motor burned out from holding it so long. The first time I was a C/R on the (1) the person in the last car was having a conversation with someone on the train and he was getting off. So unable to overcome the problem train out of service caused a 20 Minute delay in the (1)(2) train service at 1PM ( This was when (1) went to New Lots and (2) ran local). That was at Canal St N/B.

The other time on the (N) someone just keeped holding the doors at 36 St S/B Rush Hour he was waiting for someone upstairs. So give it to Control and signal for Police. The Police arrive an got him out of the doors and put him in cuffs but now the door still won't close so me and C/R go an investigate and we could not overcome the problem so train discharged and countless trains stuck on the Express track between Pacific and 36 St. I don't know why they didn't reroute to the local but they didn't and decided to let trains stack up.

I remember the (6) its always bad with door holding which is why trains get skipped alot.

I go through this problem a lot.

Try catching a R160 (N) towards C.I. The door holding really becomes a problem out on Sea Beach during the weekday PM Rush. Door holding is also something on the Manhattan bound (7) train during the PM Rush as well.

i think sometimes people get mad if someone holds the door but ask your self this: if that was you running down the stairs as the doors are closing, would you want someone one to be kind enough to hold the doors for you? The only thing wrong with this is a case where the doors are held open for a long time then it becomes to much of a nice thing. I guess women with carriages should be the only exception or the elderly in the case of hlding the doors open.

Morning rush hours on the (N). Dear god. There's always some Chinese people trying to jam in when it's obviously full (especially Fort Ham, 8th ave, and 59th), and as a Chinese person myself, I always feel ashamed by their behavior. Most conductors are pretty patient though, they just say "there's a train directly behind us" like every time this happens.

And also, (R) trains at DeKalb after school is terrible as well. You have to wait 15 minutes for the (R), and you have at least 1000 students from Tech getting out of school. Add in the fact that everyone stays at the end of the staircase and the narrow platform, and you have a major problem every damn day. You'd think Tech kids are smart, but only a few handfuls, like myself, are smart enough to walk to Pacific.

People should learn the basic manners.

First, let the people off the train before getting on.

And secondly, don't hold the freaking doors for your friend or whatever. Sure, it's courteous when you are doing a favour to 1-2 people. But in the bigger picture, it is not courteous to several hundred people who are late to work because of you.

From what I've read, the Washington Metro, unlike the trains here, have powerful doors. So if you miss it, YOU MISS IT. Don't even think about clinging objects so that the doors will open up. Forget it.

Imagine they have those kinds of doors in our trains.

Yeah. Door holding is a real problem. Couple times on the (7) at QBP I've had to wait on the train for half a minute because someone's holding the doors. On the (N) at 59/Lex I've seen a lot of door holding as well.

Unrelated but similar: What if you're on the train, but your bag or something is stuck in the doors because people won't move in? How do you feel?

Yeah. Door holding is a real problem. Couple times on the (7) at QBP I've had to wait on the train for half a minute because someone's holding the doors. On the (N) at 59/Lex I've seen a lot of door holding as well.

Unrelated but similar: What if you're on the train, but your bag or something is stuck in the doors because people won't move in? How do you feel?

That's another problem, people don't move to the middle of the car. They like to huddle around the door. And that creates problems for everyone...

One time on the (N) there was this group of like 20 people packing on to the train and there taking there sweet time to get on.... and theres always one of them to force the door open when its trying to close, and after spending like a minute wasted in the station, the guy finally steps away from the door after the C/R yells over the p/a, and then guess what.... the door is stuck. But then finally the door closes after like another 5 minutes.

As Dave said, it is the leading cause of train delays. Every second does count here. They use the terms you are leaving in 1 minute 30 seconds, etc. It does make a difference. What pisses me off, is when the train now has to skip stops and customers (aka passengers since they have no alternative for $2), curse out the crew. They know who held the doors, and they should take out their anger on them. Hell I say beat the hell out of them on the platform, and when po-po arrive, tell them why it happened, and po-po should say to the victim, that is what you get for making people even later. Some vigilante justice is good......

It's NY, door holding comes with the territory. I don't do it but a lot of people do. The biggest problem is people with attitudes on the subway. The way they act you'd think their $2 is buying them a personal limo, i mean train ride, to anywhere they want in the city and they are guaranteed to get what they want when they want. Its attitudes of entitlement to things that aren't deserve that REALLY grinds my gears and that's what you are seeing when people think they are special and others can go around them ("i dont have to step into the car"), when they think they're entitled to get on that already full train ("could you just move in a little more??? there's always room for ME"), when they hold the doors for their friends ("this train can wait for us"), or when they talk down to employees who are just giving them information (like a few i've seen flip out at train crews over GO's that they have nothing to do with while the crew is trying to explain the best way around the GO).

hell i even had one JOKE of a passenger (late 20's single working woman - YUPPIE city - and likely single forever judging from her attitude) call me an a**hole when i told her there was no room on a crowded train, out of nowhere. luckily since im not a TA employee (yet) and not bound by the blue book, I was able to tell her off and basically say to her in front of everyone, "so that's how your parents raised you, to call strangers a**hole in public? act like YOU got some breeding"

those people need to form a long, slow congo line and attempt to walk from here to jersey without using bridges or tunnels...

It's NY, door holding comes with the territory. I don't do it but a lot of people do. The biggest problem is people with attitudes on the subway. The way they act you'd think their $2 is buying them a personal limo, i mean train ride, to anywhere they want in the city and they are guaranteed to get what they want when they want. Its attitudes of entitlement to things that aren't deserve that REALLY grinds my gears and that's what you are seeing when people think they are special and others can go around them ("i dont have to step into the car"), when they think they're entitled to get on that already full train ("could you just move in a little more??? there's always room for ME"), when they hold the doors for their friends ("this train can wait for us"), or when they talk down to employees who are just giving them information (like a few i've seen flip out at train crews over GO's that they have nothing to do with while the crew is trying to explain the best way around the GO).

hell i even had one JOKE of a passenger (late 20's single working woman - YUPPIE city - and likely single forever judging from her attitude) call me an a**hole when i told her there was no room on a crowded train, out of nowhere. luckily since im not a TA employee (yet) and not bound by the blue book, I was able to tell her off and basically say to her in front of everyone, "so that's how your parents raised you, to call strangers a**hole in public? act like YOU got some breeding"

those people need to form a long, slow congo line and attempt to walk from here to jersey without using bridges or tunnels...

You good for letting her talk to you like that b/c I'd cuss her something awful!

That's another problem, people don't move to the middle of the car. They like to huddle around the door. And that creates problems for everyone...

in that case time to use that thing called body way and force it on people. I'm a courtesy person by all means but I do follow that golden rule of "do unto others...and junk" so if you're not gonna show me some courtesy and let me in when there's obviously room for you to move, I'm moving you myself. The other thing that pisses me off is people taking more than one seat for themselves. But we can let that be another topic.

You good for letting her talk to you like that b/c I'd cuss her something awful!

eh it wasn't QUITE that clean, but i didn't go street on her or anything...but she was pretty miffed at teh end. maybe if her father would of talked to her like that when she was little she wouldn't have gone around thinking she s**ts ice cream, and maybe now she'll think twice before doing that again. one can hope...

eh it wasn't QUITE that clean, but i didn't go street on her or anything...but she was pretty miffed at teh end. maybe if her father would of talked to her like that when she was little she wouldn't have gone around thinking she s**ts ice cream, and maybe now she'll think twice before doing that again. one can hope...

LMAO...I hear ya though!

Whoa, these are some stories that I'm reading here. I feel everyone's frustration here. Well if everyone in the subway was so courteous enough to let trains go instead of hold those doors, there wouldn't be such an issue. I even hear about this door holding in the news. Good thing for police officers catching the door holders, they take those passengers away in handcuffs.

Police Officers and transit officials are around the (4)(5) and (6) at major express stations along the Lexington Avenue Line just for the reason to make sure no one is holding the doors. I often see this in other major station hubs too.

I was ticked off once on a (Q) train to Coney Island, the train stopped at Kings Highway, and this man was holding the doors for about 15 seconds, and I yelled "Let go of the doors, you idiot!" I scared him, and he let go, and the door closed on him. The Police put him in handcuffs after that.

Anyways I hope door holding isn't such an issue, (it probably is) on the (L) train since it's used a lot to go to and from Canarsie, with the automatic train feature used.

I remember working the (4) Line on night at 170 St Manhattan bound at 11PM. I make the closing door announcement and someone from downstairs Yell "Hold the doors". So I close down and someone in the 4th car holds the doors. So keep the doors closed and tell them to release the doors. So the guy comes up squeese on the train and when he let it go I repopen the door and tell the Holding doors delay service. So he yells "Close the Fing doors!!" Next thing I hear "Police C/R hold the train!". So the person runs up stairs under cover displays thier badge. So I notify Control center we have a police investigation at 170 St so they held back the service. The Cop pulls the guy off who ran up the stairs for beating the fare. I walk over and tell the office "this man helped him by holding the doors." The officer pulls him off the train as well. Get the info and move out of the station with both of them in cuffs. I did feel alittle bad the door holder didn't know the guy just did a good deed and now he under arrest for helping the fare beater run from police. He got on at Fordham RD.

I don't see any reason to hold the doors we run on a schedule that has to be keeped if you miss the train your late its on you don't make everyone else late and plus the crew has to answer for the lateness.

Solutions to this holding the door problem

1. Move away from the doors towards the middle of the train, or to a seat if available.

2. Do not lean against the doors.

3. If you are traveling in a group, make sure everyone is ready to board. If one or more members of the group are not ready, do not board the train and try to hold the door for them.

4. If you're running late and you're about to miss the train, let it go and wait for the next one. You'd probably get injured from the running and the door squeezing you too.

5. Make sure all belongings (packages, bags, etc.) are away from the doors.

6. Be prepared to board, but let passengers out first, before you enter.

7. The only time you can be near the doors is if you are exiting the train car.

8. If you see someone holding the doors for a significant amount of time, tell that person to "stop holding the doors" or notify the police, immediately.

9. Do not yell "Hold the Doors" to anyone inside the train that's about to leave. You should wait for the next one, there's no need to get other passengers in trouble just so you can enter.

That is it for now.

Solutions to this holding the door problem

1. Move away from the doors towards the middle of the train, or to a seat if available.

2. Do not lean against the doors.

3. If you are traveling in a group, make sure everyone is ready to board. If one or more members of the group are not ready, do not board the train and try to hold the door for them.

4. If you're running late and you're about to miss the train, let it go and wait for the next one. You'd probably get injured from the running and the door squeezing you too.

5. Make sure all belongings (packages, bags, etc.) are away from the doors.

6. Be prepared to board, but let passengers out first, before you enter.

7. The only time you can be near the doors is if you are exiting the train car.

8. If you see someone holding the doors for a significant amount of time, tell that person to "stop holding the doors" or notify the police, immediately.

9. Do not yell "Hold the Doors" to anyone inside the train that's about to leave. You should wait for the next one, there's no need to get other passengers in trouble just so you can enter.

That is it for now.

Should post that up, in every single train car...

I remember working the (4) Line on night at 170 St Manhattan bound at 11PM. I make the closing door announcement and someone from downstairs Yell "Hold the doors". So I close down and someone in the 4th car holds the doors. So keep the doors closed and tell them to release the doors. So the guy comes up squeese on the train and when he let it go I repopen the door and tell the Holding doors delay service. So he yells "Close the Fing doors!!" Next thing I hear "Police C/R hold the train!". So the person runs up stairs under cover displays thier badge. So I notify Control center we have a police investigation at 170 St so they held back the service. The Cop pulls the guy off who ran up the stairs for beating the fare. I walk over and tell the office "this man helped him by holding the doors." The officer pulls him off the train as well. Get the info and move out of the station with both of them in cuffs. I did feel alittle bad the door holder didn't know the guy just did a good deed and now he under arrest for helping the fare beater run from police. He got on at Fordham RD.

I don't see any reason to hold the doors we run on a schedule that has to be keeped if you miss the train your late its on you don't make everyone else late and plus the crew has to answer for the lateness.

good for you...hopefully after that he will never hold the doors again...even if it's just one person, that's an improvement and will probably help out some T/O's and C/R's down the road when someone else yells out "hey wait" and he's standing in the doorway and lets them close down.

Should post that up, in every single train car...

You mean like how every door has posted "Do Not Lean On Doors" but people do it anyway? Honestly I think we've all had our fair share of door holding. If ya say you've never done it either you're a saint or you're a liar. If you really gotta get somewhere and your train is there, you're gonna try to catch it. It happens. People hold doors. It's inconvenient, its annoying, when I have to sit there because someone else is doing it and allowing half the platform to get in, i get annoyed. But when that train is getting ready to leave me and I manage to get my hands between the doors and actually get in, there is a sense of victory/achievement. I hate it when someone else is doing it...sometimes I might regret doing it myself. But that's NYC. You could scan that sign and use it as a design for the newest train car. The fact of the matter is people will hold the doors. Just gotta deal with it the best way you see fit.

PS...that was difficult for me to spit out so if you flame be somewhat gentle LOL

I remember last year (May-June 2008 I believe) I was on an R40 Slant (;) train at 7th Avenue (Brooklyn) during the PM rush, and it was sardine full (but I had a seat lol). And the people would not stand clear of the closing doors! :mad: The conductor was so pissed off she took the train out of service after 15 minutes of waiting.

Archived