Stand Clear of the Closing Doors, please

MattTrain

You mean like how every door has posted "Do Not Lean On Doors" but people do it anyway? Honestly I think we've all had our fair share of door holding. If ya say you've never done it either you're a saint or you're a liar. If you really gotta get somewhere and your train is there, you're gonna try to catch it. It happens. People hold doors. It's inconvenient, its annoying, when I have to sit there because someone else is doing it and allowing half the platform to get in, i get annoyed. But when that train is getting ready to leave me and I manage to get my hands between the doors and actually get in, there is a sense of victory/achievement. I hate it when someone else is doing it...sometimes I might regret doing it myself. But that's NYC. You could scan that sign and use it as a design for the newest train car. The fact of the matter is people will hold the doors. Just gotta deal with it the best way you see fit.

PS...that was difficult for me to spit out so if you flame be somewhat gentle LOL

Leaning on the doors isn't that much of a problem, as only an ignorant person won't get off them before they open. Door holding inconveniences everyone else on the train, however. I've actually never held the door for anyone, never needed to since I usually travel in small groups or by myself. Got stuck in one recently though... I was inside, but my schoolbag wasn't. ;)

I've seen people trying to open doors that were almost closed to get out of the train when they realize they're going in the wrong direction. Delayed the train for a whole minute.

Leaning on the doors isn't that much of a problem, as only an ignorant person won't get off them before they open. Door holding inconveniences everyone else on the train, however. I've actually never held the door for anyone, never needed to since I usually travel in small groups or by myself. Got stuck in one recently though... I was inside, but my schoolbag wasn't. ;)

I've seen people trying to open doors that were almost closed to get out of the train when they realize they're going in the wrong direction. Delayed the train for a whole minute.

I've only held a door once...for a kid who's mother decided catching the train was more important than letting her kid catch up. Seriously...that's it.

Agree, people need to be ready, then pick and stop acting weird.

Also need to say something since this topic came up... I think i'm the only person to do this every time, but i hold the door on any train i'm riding if someone needs to get off at that stop. Anyone who is in that vehicle with me when i do that can keep their dirty looks, because they know full well if it was them that needed to get off, they would thank me. I even helped out a family from spain accidently trying to get to the airport hotel at newark by holding the train doors at the next stop after newark .......... princeton junction... i'm just glad i could save them 45 minutes of waiting at trenton. They had all kinds of luggage and bags 2 adults and 2 kids. They did not speak english very well, so i called my girlfriend's parents since they speak spanish. All sorted i explained to the conductor why i held the doors making the train 5 minutes late, and he shook my hand. From then on that was my policy and it has worked out well. :)

Also, how about stand clear of the opening doors. People gotta leave the train too, not just get on. At exchange place a few weeks ago, i was trying to RUN FOR MY LIFE to catch a PATH train to catch a (NJT) train home.... Old lady and some random guy won't move out of my way when i try to exit... I say "excuse me i'm trying to get out" in a very polite gentle tone, and some random person i never see says "look you're off". :mad:

I dunno if it's just a NJ thing, because it all most never happens to me on :septa: the subway or LIRR, only on PATH, HBLR and on main line (NJT) trains, but it seems like people who are not transit-savvy (ala rapid, not bus) have no idea that doors are for people to leave as well as enter! ;)

- A

A good way to teach people not to hold the doors is to have the train pull away with them still stuck in it! Dragging of passengers used to be fairly common until about tyhe early 1990s. And as for the "Do Not Lean" signs, the only reason they are posted is because in the 1970s, as a result of poor maintenance and neglect, doors would occasionally fly open on moving trains, causing serious injury or death to some.

A good way to teach people not to hold the doors is to have the train pull away with them still stuck in it! Dragging of passengers used to be fairly common until about tyhe early 1990s.

Their is a way. All it takes is the touch of a button, lol!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
A good way to teach people not to hold the doors is to have the train pull away with them still stuck in it! Dragging of passengers used to be fairly common until about tyhe early 1990s. And as for the "Do Not Lean" signs, the only reason they are posted is because in the 1970s, as a result of poor maintenance and neglect, doors would occasionally fly open on moving trains, causing serious injury or death to some.

that happened quite often with the Redbirds, but these new cars have door lights and the R142/143/160s doors automatically reopen if something is detected in the doorways.

that happened quite often with the Redbirds, but these new cars have door lights and the R142/143/160s doors automatically reopen if something is detected in the doorways.

ALL those cars had that feature but it is much more advanced in the new techs. Redbirds often had trainline indication circuit failures that wouldn't detect if something small was caught in the doors, which if it was a piece of clothing could lead to someone being dragged.

The ENTIRE current fleet uses the indication circuit, which is best explained as "the T/O can't move the train if all doors are not closed and locked", and as a matter of fact cars going all the way back to some of the prewar IRT fleet used it. It's been improved over the years but the concept is still the same.

New tech doors do not automatically open if something is detected, but the conductor can use a "local recycle" button to recycle any doors that are not closed and locked, which is easier than having to open up a whole side again because one person is caught...the new feature allows him to just reopen and close the one door where someone is stuck without opening the rest of them and possibly allowing someone else the chance to get stuck somewhere else.

Archived