AM Rush NorthEast Corridor Service Suspended.

:eek:!

That is incredible. Can you imagine what a horrific mess it'd be if they couldn't close it for like...... a day? PATH would be paralizingly packed!

Just wow:eek:. I guess trains for that time period were being turned at newark, anyone get any photos??????

- A

It's not even computerized, people have to man the bridge and do it with levers and stuff. As far as i know, usually a amtk diesel plops down the crew to do this, then picks them up and heads back.

- A

Portal is antiquated and is not controlled by computers like you said. As for the crew there, I have personally seen them dropped off by Hy-rail and sometimes if there is a diesel MOW set or engine laying around in Newark they will take them over.

Portal is antiquated and is not controlled by computers like you said. As for the crew there, I have personally seen them dropped off by Hy-rail and sometimes if there is a diesel MOW set or engine laying around in Newark they will take them over.

Next time you see it get photos, since they don't allow trains past sec or the block just outside of newark when they open it.

I'd also like to see them open the other lift bridge next to nwk. Would be a sight to behold all that tons of trackage in the air!:eek:

- A

Does anyone know why PRR built Portal as a swing bridge and Dock as a lift bridge? I bet if Portal was a lift bridge, it'll perform as a good as Lower Hack, or Upper Bay presently.

Just look at a map. There's nothing up that way along the river, or there wasn't in 1910. New york penn is about as old as both of these bridges which trains crossed on their way to the Manhattan Transfer (approximately the location of today's PATH harrison yard), where H&M RR trains helped PRR bring passengers into NYC. There were also PRR trains that ran on 3rd rail into NYP from the MT. When overhead lines came north from philadelphia, the current layout was constructed, including the H&M RR extension to newark penn.

This might interest you:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B03E3D6103DF935A15752C1A960958260&fta=y

Dock is also manned, and will likely also be replaced in the not too distant future, because it is getting what i call in my personal railroading terminology "too old". I am not sure how often Dock has to be opened, but i'm guessing rarely. It would easily be replaced by taking out the single track span, and replacing it with a 2 track span, using the other 3 track span in the mean, then doing it again with the 3 track span using the 2 track span.

The PATH part of it is trickier, and would likely involve people using hoboken terminal to get to newark, possibly dedicated shuttle trains every so many minutes, plop the people onto track 3 or 5, rinse & repeat.

It will have to be done eventually to all of the bridges & elevated structures along the hugely busy NEC, so i hope they have all ready figured out a plan for each item. ;)

- A

I believe that the PATH and One Track bridges are relatively "newer" than the 3 Track bridge. I used to think that the PATH and One Track bridge was actually one bridge since they share the same towers.

Dock vertical lift bridge was built in the 30's. It replaced an older structure, and provided PRR and H&M trains with a way to get to/from the also newly built newark penn station.

- A

I have proof that the PATH/One Track Bridge is newer than the Three Track Bridge, but the site just doesn't exist anymore. The Three Track bridge and a swing bridge was there in the days when the PRR still went to Jersey City. It was after NY Penn Station opened that PRR torn down the swing bridge in order to accomodate the H&M RR in 1937. A newer vertical lift bridge was then built for the H&M and an extra track for the PRR, but the spans can open separately.

I have proof that the PATH/One Track Bridge is newer than the Three Track Bridge, but the site just doesn't exist anymore. The Three Track bridge and a swing bridge was there in the days when the PRR still went to Jersey City. It was after NY Penn Station opened that PRR torn down the swing bridge in order to accomodate the H&M RR in 1937. A newer vertical lift bridge was then built for the H&M and an extra track for the PRR, but the spans can open separately.

I kno. You can tell just by looking at it that the H&M segment of dock is newer.

- A

Archived