I want to be a T/O.. but I took the C/R test in December

duelingdragons

If you start as a C/R there's no guarantee that you will become a T/O. It's harder to get promoted because then there are alot of variables like sick record, discipline record, and safety record besides actually doing well on the test.

If you take both tests and start as a C/R and then get called for T/O you can switch over if you want. You just won't have the option of going back to your former title.

If you start as a C/R there's no guarantee that you will become a T/O. It's harder to get promoted because then there are alot of variables like sick record, discipline record, and safety record besides actually doing well on the test.

If you take both tests and start as a C/R and then get called for T/O you can switch over if you want. You just won't have the option of going back to your former title.

Yes he will. I have that option. But it has to be done before a year is up. They hate when you do it though, and that is why they keep more of an eye on promos than actual O/C people.

To OP: Take both tests. You never know. MTA has a motto. Take all the tests you can, cause you don't know if you will get a certain position......

Would it be better in your opinion to start as a C/R and just work your way up to T/O eventually?

Just curious...

Thanks guys. =)

Plus if you start as CR and take the Promotional you don't need all that extra stuff (work and education history) as with the filing for the Open Competitive-just the application and money order. If, for any reason, you don't like T/O after being a C/R you can request your old job back within the first year of your new title (you MUST have at least ONE FULL YEAR in the previous title in order to request it back, though). Also keep in mind that the MTA maintains a complete history of each employee that even those quizzes from back in school car are in.

And they keep an eye on EVERYONE... you're going to run into some supervisors that seem to like to donate time. Most are more sane than that but it only takes one to give you a really bad day.

Another thing to remember is that if you have a year as C/R and "mess up" as a T/O they'll demote you to C/R (unless you did something really stupid)... if you came in as a T/O and "mess up" you'll be on unemployment. By "mess up" I mean take wrong line-ups or station overruns, for example... for gross negligence where someone gets injured... yeah, possible jail time.

Another thing to remember is that if you have a year as C/R and "mess up" as a T/O they'll demote you to C/R (unless you did something really stupid)... if you came in as a T/O and "mess up" you'll be on unemployment. By "mess up" I mean take wrong line-ups or station overruns, for example... for gross negligence where someone gets injured... yeah, possible jail time.

It's rare to be demoted back to C/R these days. It's usually station cleaner or termination. Still possible but rare, used to be automatic if demoted.

It's rare to be demoted back to C/R these days. It's usually station cleaner or termination. Still possible but rare, used to be automatic if demoted.

That's probably more likely the scenario for those whom are passed the year in [new] title... hopefully there will be little to no mess ups... gotta watch that running rail... and stay awake! :confused:

One CTA at PARS was a C/R... came up dirty on a random. At least she still has a job. :)

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

That's probably more likely the scenario for those whom are passed the year in [new] title... hopefully there will be little to no mess ups... gotta watch that running rail... and stay awake! :confused:

One CTA at PARS was a C/R... came up dirty on a random. At least she still has a job. :)

It's illegal to be fired for failing a random. They have to put you in the program because the government says it's a disease. They can't demote you for it either.

I know a T/O who has been in the program twice since I've known him.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

It's illegal to be fired for failing a random. They have to put you in the program because the government says it's a disease. They can't demote you for it either.

I know a T/O who has been in the program twice since I've known him.

Well, this place can drive one to booze or do drugs. One B/O told me that job makes you wanna go home and beat your wife. Sad, but true.......

Me personally, since customers want their bus, I would have had love to give it too all of them, who were standing in the most crowded bus stops. Catch!!!!!!

In RTO, well I hope a few Supervisors know how to give a proper stop hand signal. I might "mistake" it for proceed, even with them standing between the running rails........

• 1 month later...

One CTA at PARS was a C/R... came up dirty on a random. At least she still has a job. :P

I heard it was multiple randoms, and clinic stints.. After some discussion, it was proposed it would be best for all to take a reassignment.. CTA inst safety sensitive title, so no more headaches for all parties involved..

Archived