MABSTOA questions....

mike27

hey guys, i just found out about this site and i have a couple of questions - if anyone could help me with some information.

I have my CDL w/ P endorsement and no restrictions on my air brakes - I am currently working for a school bus company in Brooklyn. Late last year I submitted my application for MABSTOA bus operator #2901, receiving a list number in return (list#5254). I have plans to work for a union bus company in the next few months (I am in the first in the next group of 5 to be called) and I just wanted to see if anyone had any information on a possible time frame that I am going to have to wait to be called for the BOSS survey - because I am torn whether to just wait it out at my current company or transfer to the new one. Yes I know everyone is telling me about the freeze, but what test or number did they stop at? How do they even chose the numbers? How fast does it go when they start calling?

I have a million questions and i thought this forum would be exactly the right place to start getting some clear answers. Thank you.

i think they choose the numbers randomly because i applied for the same test and my random number is 1046.did you weigh the differences in pay between the city and your union job? i read before on another post that they would start calling dudes already with the full cdl and not permits. thats all i know so far.

i think they choose the numbers randomly because i applied for the same test and my random number is 1046.did you weigh the differences in pay between the city and your union job? i read before on another post that they would start calling dudes already with the full cdl and not permits. thats all i know so far.

the only differences are the pension (MABSTOA is SOOOO much better) and the insurance for the union bus company stops when you retire...

do you know if they are starting to call for the BOSS survey yet?

thanks for the info and good luck to you too!:tup:

Don't know who keeps telling this to whomever but that is bull. They call by your random number, regardless of permit or license. Someone with a permit can get hired before someone with a license, long as they finally pass the DMV road test. MTA prefers those with permits, since they don't have bad habits.......

MaBSTOA, TA, MTA Bus, etc, are not city jobs. The Governor of NY appoints the MTA head, not the city mayor. The MTA Inspector General is appointed by the NYS Governor, not the city mayor. MTA = state agency not city agency, regardless of the fact you go through NYCDCAS for TA jobs. OA, and MTA Bus is not hired through NYCDCAS. They are hired through TA (the state) themselves......

MaBSTOA, TA, MTA Bus, etc, are not city jobs. The Governor of NY appoints the MTA head, not the city mayor. The MTA Inspector General is appointed by the NYS Governor, not the city mayor. MTA = state agency not city agency, regardless of the fact you go through NYCDCAS for TA jobs. OA, and MTA Bus is not hired through NYCDCAS. They are hired through TA (the state) themselves......

Absouletly correct, they just use DCAS as an exam administering agent b/c they operate in NYC. MaBSTOA is protected by legislation when it was formed, therefore entitled to certaint protections on pensions and other items as if they were civil service, (MTA)Bus doesn't have anything but an (MTA) patch and a whole lotta hurt and as of yet no protections under the law even what little protections in regards to collective barganing under the Taylor law, only the penalties b/c we are employees of a public benefit corp, thus we have no contract since 2005. TA/OA you have some protections and a pension gauranteed by the state even if it's under funded, you will recieve it & COLA. (MTA)Bus you may get your pension, but w/o COLA or any raise unless the multiplier is raised w/ a new contract(NYCT)

(MTA)Bus doesn't have anything but an (MTA) patch and a whole lotta hurt

Sorry, but I had to laugh at that line. Yes, just like TA I can be cruel.......

To OP: OA and TA are the way to go. Same contract, and pension (even if in different funds). Now TA Brooklyn depots, 126st, and OA can swap depots during the general pick. They can only do this if they have the same contracts, and they do. One is civil service, the other isn't, but is treated as if they are.......

Archived