For T/O's and C/R's.. how exactly does scheduling and days off work?

duelingdragons

This is a BIG reason that most B/O's go back, in the depot's it is very easy to get a day off as is the case in EVERY other department besides RTO.

4 union reps, tell them to open the red book, and see what is empty. Hell I was buddy with a dispatcher in WF, and ask him to open the books at midnight. He put me in for a day off. I miss the spoilization so much. I am even wondering what the heck I am here for. Fun was all gone after 1 month, now it's a job. A crawling job. Maybe it's because I've been stuck on the (4) and (6), as the screw office forgets there is a west side that i would like to see also......

Let's see...im a single guy with nobody of interest at the moment, still in school age of 23...most of my friends are too busy anyway to be social. Hmmm....I think I'll be ok provided I get the chance to have this job. Besides if I'm really lucky I'll make some decent friends on the job. I see most T/Os have a backpack. Is that where they keep their munchies and such in case they get hungry on the job?

Just like my life was. Now I have me a P.I.T.A., and it comes when I need my sleep and want to spend time with her, but been so cranky from working overnight, that I may see her 3 times a week. Even on my vacation next week, I told her I will be getting my recovery sleep, most of those days. Besides it isn't as she is helping with anything anyways. Just taketh away. Tired of the Yonkers to Brooklyn driving twice a day on my RDOs also. You will make friends on the job, just don't hang with those who do nothing but complaint about the job. On your days off you need to focus off the job, not about it.

As for the backpacks, flashlights, radios, tools, earmuffs, rulebooks, etc, go into those. Heavy as hell they can be. I sometimes think I am carrying a train on my back........

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How far ahead of time do you know your schedule?

I know you pretty much CAN'T pick to have certain days off, and that due to seniority, newbs get stuck with the bad shifts, but can you explain exactly how it works?

I'm trying to figure out if I'll be able to have any semblance of a social life once I finally get in.

Thanks =)

When you call in they'll have two days' of what you're working-SUBJECT TO CHANGE. Towards the end of school car you should be allowed to put in a request for preferred days off, in order of preference and tour (AM, PM or Midnight). Don't hold your breath for anything if you're new. Usually your regular days off will stay the same except for those days where a lot of senior guys piggyback days off and you'll be notified via an attachment to the Daily Assignment sheets notifying you of the change.

That doesn't scare me one bit. LOL bring it on. It kinda sounds sorta like waiting tables as far as shifts go. I'm glad someone asked tho because I was wondering this myself. Are there pay differentials for working weekends/holidays? I know working as a Home Health Aide we got a 1.15 extra for working on weekends. Not that I'd have a problem working weekends really. I must be strange for being willing to toss what social life i have for this experience.
I ALWAYS save holidays in my bank(AVA DAY) instead of the money!I'd rather use that day in the future....LOL!!!! Look,what we're telling you guys is things that yur gonna experience down here.I work P.M.'s(least desired tour) and it's the best kept secret!Yesss....I too think sometimes I don't have a life.:) There's soooo many times I would love to hang out with the guys but I just can't!I mean I can ,but I be sooooooo tired.I also have 2 little kids that I gotta raise.I know everyone's situation is different...What can you do?? Like the old-timers tell me..."it gets better." Yeah, it will be when you SOB's retire and go fishing!

Eh I knew it was gonna be rough... but oh well. I just wish there was a little bit more structure to the scheduling.. but it makes sense.

With a 24/7/365 operation, there really is no other way of doing things.

C'mon, you know they're not gonna make it easy for ya...:)

I ALWAYS save holidays in my bank(AVA DAY) instead of the money!I'd rather use that day in the future....LOL!!!! Look,what we're telling you guys is things that yur gonna experience down here.I work P.M.'s(least desired tour) and it's the best kept secret!Yesss....I too think sometimes I don't have a life.:) There's soooo many times I would love to hang out with the guys but I just can't!I mean I can ,but I be sooooooo tired.I also have 2 little kids that I gotta raise.I know everyone's situation is different...What can you do?? Like the old-timers tell me..."it gets better." Yeah, it will be when you SOB's retire and go fishing!

LOL i hear you. I think I'm just like this because I was one of those kids who always wanted to operate a train. I'm sure when/if I get settled into the job I'll have days where it just sucks to be working or I'll have things that I'd rather be doing. But who doesn't. This is just one of those jobs that I'd put up with anything/everything just because I get to do what I do. And I'm hoping I get to do this seriously.

4 union reps, tell them to open the red book, and see what is empty. Hell I was buddy with a dispatcher in WF, and ask him to open the books at midnight. He put me in for a day off. I miss the spoilization so much. I am even wondering what the heck I am here for. Fun was all gone after 1 month, now it's a job. A crawling job. Maybe it's because I've been stuck on the (4) and (6), as the screw office forgets there is a west side that i would like to see also..

Thats the way the A Div Screw Office is these days. Some of my friend that got promoted to T/O and was lucky to stay in A Div got sent to crazy places all the time. Like one that comes in mind lives by Pelham and always picked the (6) on PM's as a C/R. They sent him Mid mostly working the (7) out of Main St or the (4) out of New Lots. I cheered him up alittle and told him to look on the bright side if he came to B Div he could be working Midnights on the (A) out of Far Rockaway.

They started me Mid's but I stayed at 207 St (A) or Bedford PK (D). Every once in a while they sent me to Stillwell. Then when I got my PM's I was sent every where. Once you can pick it gets better the job may pick you but at least you know what your doing every day.

Well this Month I make 4 Years as a T/O how time flys from extra Board and everyone not wanting to work with the New T/O to Lots of Options and C/R's wanting me to pick with them.

Thats the way the A Div Screw Office is these days. Some of my friend that got promoted to T/O and was lucky to stay in A Div got sent to crazy places all the time. Like one that comes in mind lives by Pelham and always picked the (6) on PM's as a C/R. They sent him Mid mostly working the (7) out of Main St or the (4) out of New Lots. I cheered him up alittle and told him to look on the bright side if he came to B Div he could be working Midnights on the (A) out of Far Rockaway.

They started me Mid's but I stayed at 207 St (A) or Bedford PK (D). Every once in a while they sent me to Stillwell. Then when I got my PM's I was sent every where. Once you can pick it gets better the job may pick you but at least you know what your doing every day.

Well this Month I make 4 Years as a T/O how time flys from extra Board and everyone not wanting to work with the New T/O to Lots of Options and C/R's wanting me to pick with them.

Would you say living in the Financial District would be an advantage for me if I got to work as a T/O?

Also, what about hours per week?

Is it 40 with lots of overtime?

Sorry, I have little to no understanding of the inner workings of the HR side of things...

You are guaranteed 40 hours per week. There is tons of FORCED overtime.

They are all railroads. That's how the TA gets around it by not allowing the system to be classified as a railroad. They say it's because they don't cross county lines or leave the 5 boroughs.

I'm pretty sure they cross county lines though.

Uh, the NYC Subway definitely crosses county lines. Brooklyn is Kings County, Manhattan is New York County, Queens is Queens County, and The Bronx is Bronx County. All subway lines (besides shuttles) in NYC Subway cross county lines. This is ridiculous.

Uh, the NYC Subway definitely crosses county lines. Brooklyn is Kings County, Manhattan is New York County, Queens is Queens County, and The Bronx is Bronx County. All subway lines (besides shuttles) in NYC Subway cross county lines. This is ridiculous.

Yeah that's what I thought. So it has either something to do with not leaving the 5 boroughs or just that as usual the TA pays to get there way. It should defenitely be a railroad SIR uses the same equipment.

Yeah that's what I thought. So it has either something to do with not leaving the 5 boroughs or just that as usual the TA pays to get there way. It should defenitely be a railroad SIR uses the same equipment.

Possibly because all the boroughs are part of New York City, so technically it doesn't leave NYC?

It's a FEDERAL thing and has to do with the definition of "railroad" and "public transportation". SIR does NOT use the same equipment as NYCT - theirs has been modified to meet FRA regulations

Of the four MTA rail systems:

LIRR & MNRR meet the definition of railroad - I can put a diesel on the front of a consist and go tootling off around the country.

SIR is a "legacy" railroad (and operates under an FRA waiver) since its predecessor - the B&O - was a railroad. Should the North Shore Line on Staten Island ever be re-activated from St George to the AK Lift Bridge, watch how fast the FRA strips away that "waiver" status.

NYCT by definition is not a railroad.

http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/49C201.txt

49 USC Sec. 20102 01/02/2006

-EXPCITE-

TITLE 49 - TRANSPORTATION

SUBTITLE V - RAIL PROGRAMS

PART A - SAFETY

CHAPTER 201 - GENERAL

SUBCHAPTER I - GENERAL

-HEAD-

Sec. 20102. Definitions

-STATUTE-

In this part -

(1) "railroad" -

(A) means any form of nonhighway ground transportation that

runs on rails or electromagnetic guideways, including -

(i) commuter or other short-haul railroad passenger service

in a metropolitan or suburban area and commuter railroad

service that was operated by the Consolidated Rail

Corporation on January 1, 1979; and

(ii) high speed ground transportation systems that connect

metropolitan areas, without regard to whether those systems

use new technologies not associated with traditional

railroads; but

(B) does not include rapid transit operations in an urban

area that are not connected to the general railroad system of

transportation.

http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/49C53.txt

49 USC Sec. 5302 01/02/2006

-EXPCITE-

TITLE 49 - TRANSPORTATION

SUBTITLE III - GENERAL AND INTERMODAL PROGRAMS

CHAPTER 53 - PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION

-HEAD-

Sec. 5302. Definitions

(10) Public transportation. - The term "public transportation"

means transportation by a conveyance that provides regular and

continuing general or special transportation to the public, but

does not include schoolbus, charter, or intercity bus

transportation or intercity passenger rail transportation

provided by the entity described in chapter 243 AmTrak(or a successor

to such entity).

Just think, with the economy in the toilet and NO contract, and the (MTA) crying broke again, do you really think us SOB's are gonna jump ship? Better to wait for Obama and/or a buyout. Something's gotta change for the better first. Check the mail daily and you'll see how many RTO employees are passing away before, or shortly after they retire. People are scared on the job. These times are something only our parents or grandparents have experienced. Check CNN, Fox, or MSNBC and they're all telling people to KEEP ON working if you can. That half pay retirement $ might mean you have to go fishing just to survive.

It's a FEDERAL thing and has to do with the definition of "railroad" and "public transportation". SIR does NOT use the same equipment as NYCT - theirs has been modified to meet FRA regulations

Alex just curious how exactly has the SIR equipment been modified? I have transfered those cars many times and never noticed anything different.

The exterior equipment such as the battery box is different, the brakes are a bit different, you have some re-enforcement in specific places, just stuff here and there. Nothing major, but if you took one apart you'd see it.

- A

Archived