For T/O's and C/R's.. how exactly does scheduling and days off work?

duelingdragons

If this economy wasn't shot,some people STILL wouldn't go anywhere!I'm sure you've seen it,guys with 30+ years on the job with their papers in their back pocket just farting around.:cool:God-willing when my time comes...I'm OUT!

I'm just amazed at how many guys with 20 or 25 years can't or won't leave because they have to pay for that 3 or 4 year old crumbsnatcher they made on the outside. Thinking with the little head really screwed these cats up. There are also quite a few grandparents who have to support their grandkids because their own children screwed up. Those people I really feel sorry for. And Nascar you're right about the others who don't have a life without transit. I know as a T/O you can have over 25 years in title and not even be in the top 300 in seniority. I was friends with a M/M who had 50 years on the job. He was # 1 in the system. I used to tell him to retire and he told me that he didn't want to stay home everyday and watch TV or listen to his wife nag him all day. He went on vacation one Christmas week and died in his sleep. Never retired and never got even one retirement check. His loss hurt me so much that I said what you said, I'm out when that time comes. Within the next 9 months I'm running out of this hell hole and moving on with the next phase of my life. I love my fellow workers but it's time.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It happens constantly. Straight forward it is not. For example 59th st. southbound (D) and (A) trains need different lineups bottom green for 8th ave. bottom yellow for 6th ave. This is just one example ther are many places like this on different lines.

The tower operators are human and sometimes make a mistake with your line up BUT it's not considered a mistake until you take that wrong line up. The A division is pretty straight forward much less places to go wrong.

Also theres times when it doesnt even matter what a T/O punches in. example: a northbound (D) that punched for the CPW express pulls out of 7th/53rd the same time a northbound (A) is passing 50th/8th. 9 times out of 10 the 59th TW/O would send the (D) over to the wall track just to keep the line moving.

Also theres times when it doesnt even matter what a T/O punches in. example: a northbound (D) that punched for the CPW express pulls out of 7th/53rd the same time a northbound (A) is passing 50th/8th. 9 times out of 10 the 59th TW/O would send the (D) over to the wall track just to keep the line moving.

This is completely different than what I was talking about. It doesn't matter if they bring you in on the wall or the middle as long as you can go correct leaving the station.

how about asking for a day off to go to a rock concert if you already bought the tickets? cuz thats really all i ask for days off for. couldnt that just come out of your "vacation leave"? i always buy my tickets months in advance so they cant say its not advanced notice.

and about the overtime, how much can they force you to work in a day? how much do they tend to force people in a day? what about the people that have no life and actually want to work as much as possible? can they sign up to work 6 and 7 days a week?

how about asking for a day off to go to a rock concert if you already bought the tickets? cuz thats really all i ask for days off for. couldnt that just come out of your "vacation leave"? i always buy my tickets months in advance so they cant say its not advanced notice.

and about the overtime, how much can they force you to work in a day? how much do they tend to force people in a day? what about the people that have no life and actually want to work as much as possible? can they sign up to work 6 and 7 days a week?

For the days off you must request the day 20 days in advance right at midnight to have a chance of getting it off if it's a weekend or holiday. It's very very hard to get days off in this department.

You can't work more than 16 hours in a day but on the road they try not to let you work past 14 hours in a day. When you're on probation you are supposed to have 12 hours off in between tours when you're off probation you can work with as little as 8 hours in between, but you can't pick jobs with less than 10 hours in between. The time off in between does NOT include travel time to and from work either.

You can work 6 days a week as almost all of my friends do, but not 7 days anymore. I have never worked on a day off in my career, not because I don't need money but because I feel it's more important to raise your kids.

does the 20 day rule apply if its NOT a weekend or holiday that you're asking for? and why cant you ask earlier than that? cuz like someone said, if you're working exactly at midnight how are you supposed to ask for it at midnight?

20 days in advance is for any day off. It was 30 days but in the last contract it changed to 20 days. The automated phone system that takes your requests does not accept it any earlier.

If your working right at midnight you're at a disadvantage. You just have to put your request in when you have a chance and hope that enough people didn't already beat you to it.

20 days in advance is for any day off. It was 30 days but in the last contract it changed to 20 days. The automated phone system that takes your requests does not accept it any earlier.

If your working right at midnight you're at a disadvantage. You just have to put your request in when you have a chance and hope that enough people didn't already beat you to it.

oh so i see. they dont deny you just because they feel like it. they deny you because you weren't the first to ask for it. is it done by who asked for it first or by seniority?

oh so i see. they dont deny you just because they feel like it. they deny you because you weren't the first to ask for it. is it done by who asked for it first or by seniority?

It is supposed to be first come first serve.

They only allow a certain amount of people off each day. I don't remember the exact number but it is very small like 15 people and there are 4000 T/O's.

well if its an automated phone system, couldnt you get a friend to do it for you if you're working at midnight? LOL

Yes you can. You have to give them your pass number which is openly displayed all over the place but you will also have to give them the last 4 digits of your social. Then from that point on they can acces your system when ever they want. This system does alot more than take requests for days off. It tells you what job your working for the next 3 days, all of your vacation, sick, holiday information ect.

Yes you can. You have to give them your pass number which is openly displayed all over the place but you will also have to give them the last 4 digits of your social. Then from that point on they can acces your system when ever they want. This system does alot more than take requests for days off. It tells you what job your working for the next 3 days, all of your vacation, sick, holiday information ect.

Ok that being said...probably not the best idea to do that in my opinion LOL

well when i say friend i dont just mean some dude you met at the bar. maybe my mom or my girlfriend. you know, someone who's NOT gonna take advantage of my information

i would also like to say that this system is wayyyyyy better than the system at the post office. if you want a day off they ask you why. WHY??? what do you mean, why? what if i just wanna sleep all day? what its for some other taboo reason that i wish not to divulge to you but really need the day for. its a total invasion of privacy the way the post office does it. what if they dont like the reason? i dont get the day? come on, thats ridiculous.

the only thing i didnt like was how the MTA will come to your house if you call in sick. but then after working a couple of years i realized that i only call in sick when i really AM sick anyway. so i have nothing to be worried about. not to mention that i work when im sick anyway, just not when im horribly sick

The MTA comes to your house!? in that case when i call in sick I'll remember to prepare a meal.

from what i understand you can leave your house but you have to call and tell them where you're going and for how long. hopefully someone who works there will let us know the details here :P

from what i understand you can leave your house but you have to call and tell them where you're going and for how long. hopefully someone who works there will let us know the details here :P

They will only come to your house if you are in the bottom 30% of sick time users for your department. But I am in that 30% and they have never come to my house, but they have called twice.

Sick usage is by far the most important thing to the TA. You cannot get promoted unless you have over 50% of your total sick days for your career. They care more about people using THEIR sick days than about pretty much anything else.

That is really strange. I've never heard of a company doing that at all. Guess that means if you call out sick, you'd better be sick.

For the City, it is not strange. The uniformed services agencies have been doing it for years.

They will only come to your house if you are in the bottom 30% of sick time users for your department. But I am in that 30% and they have never come to my house, but they have called twice.

Sick usage is by far the most important thing to the TA. You cannot get promoted unless you have over 50% of your total sick days for your career. They care more about people using THEIR sick days than about pretty much anything else.

by "bottom 30%" im assuming you mean, top 30% lol. those who have the highest 30% of sick leave usage.

how do they punish you for latenesses? is being 1 unit late considered AWOL at the MTA? at the post office they would just give you the 1 unit of annual leave to cover it, without the blink of an eye. thats the only thing they're really good at

Archived