Newark Light-Rail

Blinkerdoors

I prefer electric, less vibration. :cool:

I swear man, some people around here are on that good stuff!

Ok, maybe not good stuff if it turns them into posters that have not a clue what they're talking about.....

No, it makes it interesting! :):cool:

- A

I don't like the electric LRV's to narrow! The Stadler made stuff is wide I feel like I'm actually in a train.

I can understand that, however those DMU's are FRA spec'ed. You could run them on "main line" rail. HBLR is narrower because you want to take up as little as possible space in an urban area. Allows the ROW to be smaller and stations take up less space. RL has the advantage of running pretty much in the open aside from burlington, riverside, and camden on a pre-existant freight line with the loading gauge to that end.

That being said, the future (NJT) light rail projects would likely be wider bodied DMU because they would run on active freight lines (even though freight would use it once in a blue moon).

- A

I also like the Bombardier designs and Siemens stuff better as well, when it comes to electrified. Heck even those Septa Kawasaki units are nicer IMHO. But hey as long as these things work can't complain.

As for the Stadlers, I don't know if will see them used by tranist again or not with the northern branch DMU proposal. I think there will see a true DMU, hopefully, though I think they should just extend the HBLR for that project.

I can understand that, however those DMU's are FRA spec'ed. You could run them on "main line" rail. HBLR is narrower because you want to take up as little as possible space in an urban area. Allows the ROW to be smaller and stations take up less space. RL has the advantage of running pretty much in the open aside from burlington, riverside, and camden on a pre-existant freight line with the loading gauge to that end.

That being said, the future (NJT) light rail projects would likely be wider bodied DMU because they would run on active freight lines (even though freight would use it once in a blue moon).

- A

In other words, the RiverLine is what you would call a TramTrain. Isn't it similar to Ottawa's O-Train?

Archived