Social Networking needs to be safe

MattTrain

Social Networking and public forums need to be a fun and social place where people can exchange ideas, thoughts, and expressions, as long as it doesn't offend others. Lately I've been surfing the net, just to see how social networks are doing, and I'll tell you, there's a lot of fighting going around, and users abuse the internet, and make it their "place" to pick fights against other internet users. Some speak so passionately about their subject topic so much that it angers them if others speak about it the wrong way. If the person’s wrong, correct them don’t get angry at them. Don’t expect people to know everything, and if they say the wrong information, don’t call them stupid for it. It’s not polite here.

Now last year, I've been in some, and yeah I've made some mistakes in the past, I won't lie. However, I do not want others to fall in the same situation as me.

I’ll give some pointers to keep the internet safe and interactive.

1. Exchanging ideas is fun, and its okay to disagree, but please do not use this as a reason to attack someone. If you disagree, respond to the subject and be reasonable, do not use insults.

2. Respect your friends and other fellow users, if they ask you to avoid doing certain things such as posting embarrassing photographs, then take that seriously!

3. It’s much easier to insult people on the net than it is in person, don’t do it! It might spill out to real life situations.

4. Just like in person, if all you have are things that are inappropriate, don’t say it at all! You’ll regret it.

5. If you have issues with others postings that you see as inappropriate then , please talk to them, and be reasonable with them. Should they refuse, report the content immediately to administrators and moderators if you have to.

Here is a list of websites for more information:

http://kidshealth.org/parent/positive/family/net_safety.html

http://www.netsmartz.org/index.aspx

http://www.fbi.gov/kids/k5th/safety2.htm

Thanks for posting this.

I personally have never understood why people try to have a "social life" online vs just go and hang out with the people or call them up.

- A

Exactly, people should interact in person. What good is it to sit in front of the screen for 12 hours? When I'm not in front of the screen, I'm always socially active (calling my friends, hanging out, chilling etc...)

Sorry guys I hate to bring it to you and be the bringer of bad news but "social networking" is going to be just like radio, just like TV, and just like the internet...it's just going to turn into one big F***ing ad because most people are greedy and care more about making money (as opposed to not making money and just doing something for the love of it). Myspace did it, Facebook's doing it, and it's not going to change. Advertisers and marketing people run this country, and it sucks.

If you want to interact with your friends in an ad-free place the only way to do it is to chill in person because the marketers can't get to that.

As for online "fighting" the one and only thing that scares people straight is the threat of getting their ass kicked, and if they're sitting in front of a computer they got nothing to fear. No matter how much money you have or don't have, the threat of an ass whooping keeps you from saying the wrong thing to the wrong person. On the internet, that's not the case.

Sorry guys I hate to bring it to you and be the bringer of bad news but "social networking" is going to be just like radio, just like TV, and just like the internet...it's just going to turn into one big F***ing ad because most people are greedy and care more about making money (as opposed to not making money and just doing something for the love of it). Myspace did it, Facebook's doing it, and it's not going to change. Advertisers and marketing people run this country, and it sucks.

If you want to interact with your friends in an ad-free place the only way to do it is to chill in person because the marketers can't get to that.

As for online "fighting" the one and only thing that scares people straight is the threat of getting their ass kicked, and if they're sitting in front of a computer they got nothing to fear. No matter how much money you have or don't have, the threat of an ass whooping keeps you from saying the wrong thing to the wrong person. On the internet, that's not the case.

That pretty much sums it up. People are braver on the internet.

Thanks for posting this.

I personally have never understood why people try to have a "social life" online vs just go and hang out with the people or call them up.

- A

From personal experience, seems like 90% of the people I know are too busy working or dealing with relationships and so on to be very social. That's why I end up socializing on the net. I'm guilty of having a life on the internet myself, but I'm not exactly too happy about it. I make myself get out and about and try to participate in community events or even just ride the subways around for the heck of it. Maybe it's not ideal but it beats the heck outta vegging in front of the computer all the time. I'm noticing a lot of people won't answer calls but if you text them you get a response in seconds. So yeah there's a lot of factors. Mind you I think they're all BS. But that's just me.

The Block button is your friend.

By simply blocking someone that seems to dedicate his life to ruining yours, you'll never have to deal with that person again! Chances are, if you portray yourself as inaccessible on the internet, they'll leave you alone in the real world.

Social networking has it's uses. I've been reunited with people I've lost contact with through myspace and facebook.

Same here....2 ppl I went to Junior High School and 2 ppl I went to High School with reunited with me on MySpace. Though I try not meet ppl of the Internet like I used to on AOL, Yahoo or any other sites b/c they are phonie, fake, deceitful, claim to be this person and turn out to be different. Unless we have talked for months and I've gotten to know you then we can meet up!

You guys need to stay polite & on topic or there will be heck to pay. I understand threads can get a lil off topic, but at least keep it polite and respectful.

I dunno how many times i gotta say it, but if folks don't start listening, stuff that you won't like is going to happen.

We should all treat this forum like the great place it is, not some dumping ground for personal issue and drama.

Thanks! :cool:

- A

What? MySpace is a Crapped Up, too much talk about sex, nudity and violence... I prefer FaceBook since there are 'real coversations'.... I actually rarly log onto MySpace unless if something intersting is going on...

MySpace do not talk about sex or violence.....its the ppl that made it bad for others.....MySpace is still top notch as in a Networking site!

both myspace and facebook has its advantages

myspace is better since they were the pioneers (sorta) facebook pretty much copied them with a few twists (for the worse), you can customize your page with HTML and make it unique and change your name etc, also myspace has a better and easier to use layout

facebook is better in the way since you use your real name its easier to find people, i also like taking the quizzes on facebook, but its ugly its plain its laggy

personally i like myspace better but then again myspace has been pretty dead lately lol

You don't get MySpace... I lost 2 friends because of that MySpace... They asked me why I ain't on it anymore, I said 'too much talk about sex, nudity and violence'... And they said I am crazy... But, I am being honest... Facebook, I am on everyday and love it, :(!

Hmmm excuse me I've been on my since December of 2005....ppl who talk about sex is ppl who are looking for sex. If someone is trying to meet you for sex....block them its that simply. If you don't like MySpace just simply cancel your account, its not that hard to do!

Archived